TinaJo

BLU-RAY remote codes. NS-BRDVD4

I'm getting a little discouraged with the posts I've read regarding remote codes. Had I known this would be a problem I would have purchased a different brand. I read a post from LAST year saying that they would send this onto their engineers. Has ANYTHING been done? I would think that Insignia would have fixed this problem by now. I need a code that WORKS please. If I can find my receipt, I'm returning my Insignia device, and buying one that works with Universal remotes like OTHER Blu-Ray players will.

Insignia Support
John-INSG

Re: BLU-RAY remote codes. NS-BRDVD4

Hello TinaJo,

Welcome to Community@Insignia™!

I'm sorry to hear you're discouraged.  We provide a remote control with our Blu-ray players designed to give you access to all of its great features.  We know that a lot of our customers like to use universal remotes too, and we do our best to ensure compatibility with them.  When a code is not available, we recommend using the scan or learning feature of a remote to find working codes.  We also try to set the realistic expectation that a universal remote may not provide access to all of the features of your player.  This has certainly been my experience, especially with inexpensive universals.

If you would care to provide that brand and model of your universal remote control, we'll be happy to see if we can provide codes.  Otherwise, the scan or learning feature is an option, as is upgrading to a higher-end universal remote control.

Regards,
John
Insignia™ Support

Regular Contributor
mdavej

In all fairness, the reason other players are more compatible is because they've been around longer. Panasonic has used the same codes for a long time, so they are very common in universal remotes. Sony uses a fairly new set of codes for their blu-ray players, so it's rarer to find a compatible universal. Even sony's own universals didn't work with their blu-ray players until recently. Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing insignia can do about it now. If they change codes, all existing insignia remotes would cease to function. The blame really lies with universal remote manufacturers, not Insignia. New codes come out all the time, and universal remote makers have to keep up. The best way to avoid compatibility problems is to get a learning universal remote.

Now one thing Insignia should have done at the very beginning was insist that their remote OEM (Universal Electronics Inc. or UEI) include codes for all Insignia products. They could do that anytime at practically no cost and with no change to the production process, since UEI does the very same thing for their cable and satellite customers. Heck, I even have the tools to load all Insignia codes into Insignia universal remotes in an instant.

Barvic

It seems like a major oversight to me. I have the standard atlas m11055 fs remote that comes with shaw products and if I can not get a code to work I will simply return it. Cheers
Regular Contributor
mdavej

The atlas codes are HERE.

I think it sucks that Insignia codes aren't in a lot of universal remotes, but it boggles my mind that people think it's Insignia's fault. Device manufacturers aren't in the business of supporting thousands of universal remotes. Universal remote manufacturers are 100% responsible for what codes are in their remotes. Device manufacturers are 0% responsible for getting their codes into 3rd party remotes. They are responsible for making sure the remote that comes with your device works. It's up to the universal remote maker to watch the market and add popular new codes. Sometimes they can get them from device manufacturers, but they usually have to reverse engineer them. If you want to blame someone, blame URC and UEI for dragging their feet. I already reverse engineered the codes for them, so they could add them with almost no effort.

There are other big name blu-ray players that your atlas doesn't have codes for, so good luck picking the right one.

Barvic

Thanks, in the post from 10/28/09?  

Atlas5 1025, Atlas5 3000, Atlas5 3032, Atlas5 3033...

Tried them before postingt o no avail whatsoever.  Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Regular Contributor
mdavej

[ Edited ]

Yes you are missing something. The posted procedure will definitely work on your remote. Your remote would use audio 1609. So press AUD, hold setup for 2 blinks, press 1609 (2 blinks for success). Try one of the codes, like power: tap setup (don't hold), quickly press 34906. If that works (it should), you can program every command per the posted procedure. If it doesn't work, you've made a mistake (pressing buttons too slowly or too quickly, etc.).

You must realize that simply using code 1609 won't do anything. You have to program the individual function codes. Also, if you want to use something other than the AUD button (like DVD), you'll have to re-assign the device key first to an Audio device type per page 20 of the MANUAL.