Re: Need Insignia support with failure to play Blu Ray discs

I have the same problem. I expect I will need to buy a new blu-ray player, though this time I will not buy an insignia player. 

this sounds like it is illeagal i am going to contact someone to find out

Regular Contributor

The fundamental problem is that movie studios have gotten progressively more paranoid over the years, and now they intentionally change the DRM on their movies from time to time, breaking compatibility with older players until and unless they can get a firmware update to make them work again.

This really doesn't solve anything and is a great big headache for all concerned—guess who has to front the costs of constantly coming up with new firmware for no reason other than movie studios getting their panties in a bunch?—but it apparently makes the movie studios feel better.

The problem you get with Insignia—or, for that matter, other store brand Blu-ray players—is that they don't necessarily control the design and manufacture of their products to the extent that major manufacturers do, relying instead on OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) in Asia who may not necessarily stay in business from year to year. If the factory that made your player isn't even in operation anymore, there's no way you can get them to come up with new firmware for it.

This wouldn't be a problem for any other product except Blu-ray players—the oldest DVD players can, for the most part, still play new DVDs, for example. Ditto for CD players, and so on. But it's a downright killer for Blu-rays, with their built-in rapid obsolescence cycle.

It's sad, because Insignia's players were pretty good units—but they were effectively torpedoed by the movie studios' asinine insistence on switching up their DRM all the time.

Moral of the story: if you're going to buy a Blu-ray player, stick to the major name brands. They at least have enough control over their product to be sure they can continue to update it for a while. (Though even they may not necessarily be willing to keep updating all their products forever.) Not that not buying another Insignia will be a problem, anyway—Insignia doesn't even make Blu-ray players anymore.

And direct your anger at the movie studios, where it belongs. Bunch of jerks.

Highlighted

Re: Blu Ray will not play in my player.

My Blu Ray insignia won't play my blu ray movies can y'all help