Contributor

Re: How to configure NS-BDLIVE01 internet connection.

Steve,

Thanks

The NS-BDLIVE01 is undoubtedly using DHCP to obtain an IP address.  Simply connecting the NS-BDLIVE01 to your laptop will not work unless your laptop is prepared to provide an IP address to the NS-BDLIVE01 using a DHCP server.

If you somehow manually set up an IP address in the ND-BDLIVE01, you have another problem which is that Ethernet cables do not work from end-device to end-device - you will need what's called an ethernet "patch" cable, OR you will need to put some kind of Ethernet hub between your laptop and the NS-BDLIVE01

Assuming you do all of this, you will have successfully connected the NS-BDLIVE01 to your laptop over Ethernet.

However, if the NS-BDLIVE01 has no provisions to respond to your laptop - if it cannot show a file system or a web page - then there will be little you can do with it.

Likewise it seems like the NS-BDLIVE01 has a very limited set of things it can do on the Internet.  It probably is trying to connect to a specific server at Insignia in order to obtain firmware updates.  And it MAY be capable of connecting to other sites when a specially programmed BLU-RAY DVD is running. 

Your laptop is not prepared to respond to any of these connections.  If you have a piece of software called a "promiscuous sniffer" you could pick up the signals from the BDLIVE trying to find its servers on the Internet.  If you enable connection sharing, you could even sniff the communications between the BDLIVE and its Internet servers.  While that would be interesting, it would be of limited utility.

Contributor

Boyl,

Try hooking the router to your player and then resetting your router.  Your router may be an issue.  Ypu may wish to get a small ethernet switch so you can have your laptop and player connected at the same time.  Good luck.

Bruce

Hello I need help connecting this tv before I take it back to the store. I have att U-verse everything else is connected fine