Contributor
Sinatrafan

Insignia NS-WBRDVD Player won't play AVCHD discs- WHY?

I've made several AVCHD discs, using Multi-AVCHD, burned with IMGBURN (UDF-250) on various media (Verbatim, Fujifilm on DVD+R discs)- these discs play very well in my "HP Blu Ray Player"...no problem.

We bought the INSIGNIA WBRDVD Player, simply because it could stream Netflix..however, before I bought the player, I did some investigation...I read The Insignia thread on AVSFORUMS, people there indicated that the INSIGNIA WBRDVD can play AVCHD discs. I downloaded the INSIGNIA WBRDVD users manual, which also (albeit somewhat ambigiously) indicated that this unit can play AVCHD Discs.

We bought the Insignia, (gave the HP Blu Ray player to our kid in college). Sure, the INSIGNIA plays back commercial Blu Ray discs very well, and streams Netflix well..however, when I play any one of my AVCHD discs, the INSIGNIA WBRDVD recognises them as BR (the BR Icon appears, but, the tray will re-open, then the Insignia will simply smile sinfully at me.

These are single layer DVD+R discs, and yes..I used the STRICT AVCHD folder.. the INSIGNIA NS-WBRDVD firmware is up to date..I used IMGBURN to burn in the UDF 250 format...burned the BDMV folder, and the HDAVCNT subfolders to the root. soo; these discs WERE burned in the normal AVCHD file structure, as compiled by Multi-AVCHD.

I also had to transcode several movies, with Multi-AVCHD, to make the files COMPLIANT with the AVCHD standard..The Insignia didn't recognise it; although the HP Blu Ray Player DID (when we still had the HP player.)

I've always made discs WITHOUT MENUS, so these discs are Movie only discs.

I then had an idea...I burned the BDMV folder and a CERTIFICATE folder to a DVD+R, with IMGBURN. I then placed the disc in the tray of the Insignia, closed it, the player did show the BR Icon..but..nothing ...simply ejected the disc again, then grinned wildly at me.

The Insignia WILL play standard DVD Backup copies(compiled with Nero Recode, burned with IMGBURN on DVD+Rs, no problem.)

Sooo,, what am I doing wrong?  Will the Insignia NS-WBRDVD player recognise M2ts files (this is the format that AVCHD discs are in) ? Should I try to transcode these files into Blu Ray Mpeg-2 format instead, since this player WILL play the Mpeg-2 format (in standard dvds) ?

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated !~ Thank you!

Regular Contributor
ChrisW

Re: Insignia NS-WBRDVD Player won't play AVCHD discs- WHY?

I have played AVCHD files on my WBRDVD, i have seen your problem, i have not used your software but have good success with tsmuxergui, google it, it's free

It's great for .mkv or .ts files, converts them to avchd files real fast, then i use Nero to burn it as a UDF file, problem also could be using imgburn.

Contributor
Sinatrafan

Thanks for your reply..well.. I remade the AVCHD with TsMuxerGui, as you recommended...burned using the UDF/250 format.. placed the disc into the Insignia NS-WBRDVD, but after NOISELY loading for a minute or more.. the tray EJECTED the disc.  Again.  (I've made a lotta coasters trying to make good AVCHD discs)  Even burned the same file again with a RW disc.. same thing happened.

Let me ask you.. what discs are you useing that WORK in the Insignia? (DVD-Rs? DVD+Rs?)

I've used the SAME DVD+R discs making backup copies of dvds, and they all play in the Insignia without any problems at all.

I can't use NERO since I don't have NERO. I've always used free burning softwares..and IMGBURN is one of the best.

Can you share with me PRECISELY and EXACTLY what you do (the steps that you take) to produce WORKING AVCHD discs that actually WILL playback in the Insignia NS-WBRDVD Player?

Thank you for your time and patience with me.. this is really appreciated..

Contributor
LossAngeles

Did you included the certificates folder that was produced when you used txmuxrgui when you used imageburn to create the disk? While I'm not totally familiar with your situation I can tell you that using UDF 250 will always result in the image as being BD ROM in the Insignia. If you accustomed to seeing these disks as DVD then I believe you have to use the joliette setting.

I've included a youTube vid link on how to create HD BDROM from MKV files and this has worked for me. I'm using 4.7 gig Maxell +RW DVDs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0qbGy_4P0

Hope this helps out ; but the point here is that the UDF 250 method has worked for me =)

-Greg

Contributor
Sinatrafan

Hi LossAngeles, ,well.. yes..I DID include the CERTIFICATE folder in the AVCHD file structure,,and, as I mentioned above, I burned it with IMGBURN in the UDF-250 format... umm.. the INSIGNIA took a long minute or so, deciding if it wanted to load the disc, then quietly ejected the disc, with a wicked smile.  :smileysad:

PERHAPS it simply does not like DVD+R discs..

I'm willing to try TsMuxer once more; will use the BLU RAY setting this time, (instead of the AVCHD setting) then burn it with IMGBURN using the UDF 250 format.. at this point, one more coaster won't matter ~ I'll try using a DVD-R disc this time,  to see if that works.

Perhaps I've got a faulty INSIGNIA NS-WBRDVD Player, who knows ?

Thanks for the advice, LossAngeles :smileywink:

Contributor
Sinatrafan

I wish to let everyone know that I was able to make the project with TsMuxer, as a BLU RAY..someone suggested that the INSIGNIA Blu Ray players required an extra empty AUXDATA subfolder within the BACKUP subfolder located within the BDMV folder...I then proceded to burn the project with IMGBURN in the UDF-250 format, onto a DVD-R disc, instead of a DVD+R disc.

I honestly have no idea what made the difference, either makeing the project as a BLU RAY, or adding the extra folder, OR burning the project on a new DVD-R disc.. BUT it WORKED !

I placed the disc in the tray of the INSIGNIA NS-WBRDVD player.. the loading process was NOT noisy at all, it immediately recognised the disc as a BLU RAY..then proceeded to play the HD content all the way through to the end of the movie, without any problem~!~

Sooo; the problem is now solved.. thanks to everyone who gave advice and suggestions.. Truly Appreciated !  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
LossAngeles

I'm glad you managed to get one burned!! I think the underlying problem is the media. Example:

A spindle of Maxell DVD +RW had no issues being recognized as DVD media after burning in Windows 7. Another spindle purchased more recently has had 5 dead / coaster disks (so far out of 15). It's very frustrating to say the least but it's the conclusion I've reached after being able to re-burn some of the older +RW discs without a problem =)

Regular Contributor
ChrisW

Glad it worked, sorry i didnt say to use blu-ray option