Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

I have read this entire thread. It seems like there are many issues with Verizon Fios. I am going to purchase this Blu ray player based on price and netflix compatibility. Has anyone in the forum or Roger from Insignia had any experience with connectivity problems pertaining to Time Warner's Road Runner and Linksys WRT54G router? Or any success stories? Thank you
Contributor

I had success with the Linksys WRT54G.  WPA2 AES+TKIP on the router side.  WPA2 TKIP on the player side.  Prior to the update it would usually list the SSID.  After the update, I gave it several seconds but it never listed the SSID.  I put everything in manually and that worked.

Drake

Re: Drake

Thank you for your response. Forgive me,  I am a bit of of networking novice. Can you please explain in detail what you had to put in manually so I know for tomm. when I purchase this Blu Raypalyer. Also for the update, are you referring to the firmware update?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry.  I wasn't thinking about how you haven't seen the screens, yet.

It'll be pretty obvious where to put in the info.  If you can set up the encryption on your router then you can set it up on the player.  The player is at my mom's, not here, so I can't step you through it keystroke-for-keystroke.

From memory:  The networking icon is obvious, and then it gives you a list of network functions.  One is to search for wireless networks.  It will then list the ones that it sees.  If you see yours there, then you can choose it and it will autodetect the encryption type.  Then it will put up a virtual keyboard for you to type in the passkey.

If you don't see yours, then there's a "Manual Entry" menu choice.  There, you give it your SSID, choose an encryption type, and then the passkey.

I found it very straightforward, and I don't think I had to pull out the manual to do it.

And, yes, I meant the firmware update.

Drake

Message Edited by Mighty on 12-16-2009 01:07 AM

Re: Drake

Thank you for your help. Im sure this will save me many hours!  One more thing, does SSID simply mean my network name that was given to my router?

Contributor

Yes, SSID = the name of your network.  I don't remember specifically how they have it labeled on their screens.  But, again, there are only three things you need to know when setting up a device for Wi-fi (network name, encryption type, password,) so it's hard to get very lost.

Good luck.  Hope you enjoy it.

Drake

Visitor

I seem to recall that you don't even need to know the encryption type. The NS-WBRDVD automatically figures this out (as long as it's one of the supported encryption types).
Contributor

That's true if you're able to choose the network from the list.  If it doesn't list it and you have to set it up manually then you have to chose the encryption type.

Drake

Finally got it working for a AT&T 2Wire.  I changed the settings to WPA TKIP. I also changed my SSID to custom and added 9 numbers and a letter. (That was from a previous post). I think you need both letters and numbers. I unplugged both the modem and Blue Ray for 30 seconds and then plugged them back in and everything is working now.

For the tech support people. I did have this connected to a Linksys router with no problem. But the 2Wire modem has been a nightmare! This only took 3 days and 50 searches on google, netflix, and insignia before I found this message board. I am a little tech savy but I would hate to be the person that isn't try to figure it out.

Visitor

I'm using a Belkin wireless router (802.11g) and am also having problems.  I can get in using my neighbors unsecured Linksys with no problem. My network shows full strength on the Network Menu, but when I put in my PSK it says "failed" and doesn't connect (WPA-PSK and TKIP).

Hard to believe Best Buy would put their reputation on the line with thousands of customers, in today's market, with something that doesn't operate properly and no support back-up to fix it.