Visitor

Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

I actually got WEP encryption to work finally, but I still can't get the more robust WPA2 to work.  Any ideas?  If not then i guess I'll stick with the weaker encryption for now as it's better than nothing.

Contributor

I was able to get connected with WPA2 pretty easily. Just entered the password and verified the DVD player MAC address was authorized and all was good. Very simple.

WTF?  I have read every blog entry and tried all the suggestions and still ZERO!  Can you walk me through this step-by-step before I return this thing that I have litterally spend more time with the last three days then I have spent with my kids for the last month.

My wireless router is a Netgear WGR614 v4.  I have changed my settings from WEP to WPA-PSK per a previous poster.  I have tried every possible way of accessing my network through the player and still nada.

Well thanks for nothing Roger and Insignia cause I figured out myself after 20 hours! 

Here's the fix:  If using the wireless network you must go into the wired network and change the connection type from "dynamic" to "disable", then connect to your wireless network with whatever security type you have already.

Insignia Product Engineer

Hi Rockobama,

Sorry I was unavailable over the weekend and was unable to assist you.  I am glad you were able to get the device working however.

Regular Contributor

Roger - welcome any recommendations you might have.  I was able to connect the NS-WBRDVD to my router on Friday, and I downloaded and upgraded the firmware update to provide the Netflix capability.  I watched part of a Netflix movie.  However, since then I have not been able to get the unit to connect.

When I power it on, it says that it is not connected.  When I display the networks, it finds the network, and even says that it is connected.  This is after I did a manual setup.  However, the status says that it is acquiring an IP address.  The signal strength is listed as excellent.

When I look on my router, I do not see the NS-WBRDVD listed as one of the wireless clients connected to the router.

Any recommendations?

Regular Contributor

Quote: "Well thanks for nothing Roger and Insignia cause I figured out myself after 20 hours! 

Here's the fix:  If using the wireless network you must go into the wired network and change the connection type from "dynamic" to "disable", then connect to your wireless network with whatever security type you have already."

For what it's worth - this fix does not work for me.  Initially, I was able to successfully connect wirelessly to my WEP shared key router.  I made no changes to my home LAN.  I was able to download the Netflix firmware upgrade over the wireless, and even watched part of a Netflix film.  However, a couple days later, nothing I try on the NS-WBRDVD will seem to work to get it to connect to my home network.

I have the same symptom as earlier posters about the unit seeing the network, apparently connecting (although not evident on the router side), but then hanging acquiring an IP address.

I am reluctant to change my network security protocol to WPA just for this, since it would seem that that is not a guaranteed fix either, and I have definitely had it work with WEP shared key.

Contributor

Changing from WEP to WPA is not only easy but actually preferred for overall security. WEP is very easily cracked by would be wrong doers So WPA is a step in the right direction for better security.

Regardless, things to check on your network if you are having connection issues.

*) Is your signal strength adequate for a good connection?
*) Do you have any other layer of security enabled (such as unknown MAC Address blocking or MAC Address filtering)?
*) Is your DHCP server out of available addresses to hand out?
*) Try changing your wireless channel just incase something else is interfering on that channel.
*) Turn on broadcasting of your SSID.

Like I mentioned earlier it took me no more than 5 minutes to get this player connected to my WI-FI network. and the connection has been quite reliable (so far).
Regular Contributor

Ciege - thank you for the ideas.  My struggle with this is knowing that it connected and worked pretty well on Friday, with no changes to my wireless LAN required at all.  I also was able to get it connected in about 5 minutes out of the box, but the reliability issue is the problem here.  On your list of things to check:

- the signal strength is not great but it was adequate enough for me to download the firmware update and apply it and then watch a Netflix film last Friday.  Today, I am using a laptop right nearby the DVD player, and I'm typing this post on it at this moment.  So the signal is at least strong enough for a laptop connection in the same place.

- there are no other layers of security that I am aware of, and certainly no additional layers have been added since Friday.

- to test the DHCP addresses item, I rebooted the router, with no change in behavior on the DVD player connection.  I have two laptops connected to the router, and I have disconnected and reconnected both to the network with no trouble.

- SSID broadcasting is turned on

So, left to try is the change from WEP to WPA, and the change of the wireless channel.  Over the last 5+ years, in my experience, home networks are fairly flakey so I am loathe to start messing with my home network, which is pretty stable these days, and have ripple problems with other things.  If I had never been able to connect, that would be one thing.  But the fact that it worked 'fine' on Friday, and doesn't on Monday (nor on a couple spot checks over the weekend) makes me suspect something in the unit - either a configuration, or something.  Come to think of it, I think I will try to reset settings on the unit and see if that helps.

Thanks again for your ideas.  If I can't get the wireless to work right, I might look into a power line networking solution, and return this wireless unit for a wired unit, and put the $50 saved towards the power line network.

Contributor

Comparing the laptop radio to the radio built into the DVD player may not be "fair". I would expect the (more expensive) laptop to have a better time acquiring and holding a signal than the (cheaper) DVD player. The adage, you get what you pay for comes into play here. I am sure there are cheaper parts in the DVD player than in your laptop. That could be the issue, if in fact weak signal is the cause of this.

You could try moving your router or DVD player closer to the other to see what happens.

I, personally do not like power line Ethernet. Lots of problems like not being able to use a power strip. And if your power distribution (i.e. fuse box) has too many jumps from one leg to another leg, you will get poor connection and speeds.

An alternate (preferable in my opinion) is the use of a wireless bridge. Generally have very good radios that can accept weaker signals. Then converts the wifi into a wired Ethernet hub so you can just plug in the DVD player to the hub and not rely on its wireless radio.

Finally, going from WEP to WPA (while it sounds daunting) is quite easy, even if you have lots of other devices connected to your wireless. All you need to do is change from WEP to WPA2 in your router and enter a password (whatever you want it to be, not the big long hex key you are used to with WEP). Then on each connected device, change your wireless setting from WEP to WPA2 and enter the same password.... All in all, very simple!