Insignia Product Engineer

Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

There is no difference in the quality of the radio in a laptop and the Blu-Ray player. In fact, we used the best radio available. There is however a smaller antenna and it is located behind the metal chassis of the player making it some what more directional.
Regular Contributor

FYI ... disconnected unit from the power for awhile, plugged back in, powered back on - no change.  Ran a Reset Settings, and it now behaves as it did out of the box, but now it cannot automatically find the wireless network like it did on Friday.  Manually setting up the wireless results in it instantly saying that it is connected with excellent signal strength, but that it is acquiring an IP address.  In the meantime, the router log shows no evidence of the mac address of the unit connecting to the router.
Contributor

"There is no difference in the quality of the radio in a laptop and the Blu-Ray player. In fact, we used the best radio available. There is however a smaller antenna and it is located behind the metal chassis of the player making it some what more directional. "

I stand corrected on this then. I suppose I spoke too generally about components in cheaper priced products. Good for you guys on using a quality radio in this player.

Try going to the wireless settings menu and run the network test and let me know where it errors out.
Regular Contributor

When I run network test, it says 'Connecting to 0.0.0.0...' and then after about 5 seconds, it says Timeout.

Please check your private messages

Well, I tried everything I learned on here and throughout the internet.  Still no success with my FiOs router, so it's going back.  I am appalled that this would be released to the public the way it is, it seems there's a pretty high number of people that are having the same problems. 

Glad the PS3 is supposedly getting NetFlix, going that route. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]
Sorry to hear that. For this price point you won't get much better.

I have a feeling this is more an end user issue than it is a hardware / firmware issue. If you don't have the smarts to setup wireless networking components correctly and securely you shouldn't blame the problem on hardware. IMHO...
Message Edited by Ciege on 10-26-2009 03:52 PM
Contributor

I have to agree with Ciege here, seems more end user issues.  After I changed my security from WEP to WPA it connected instantly.  Now the connection will drop from time to time during a movie, but it picks right back up after a couple of seconds with little to no interuption of the movie.
Visitor

I tried several hours to connect the NS-WBRDVD with my Verizon FiOS router (ActionTec MI-424WR Rev D). I'm using WPA2 encryption and it connected fine but failed to get an IP address (it's set up to dynamically pick up the IP address from the router). I also tried the other encryption types (WPA and WEP) and it would always create the connection but would always fail to get the IP address. Only when I use no encryption would it successfully get an IP address. Since it works without encryption, I don't think the problem is related to some firewall setting. My laptop will connect with no problem.

I really don't want to leave off encryption on my wireless connection. I suspect this problem is related to which router is used (not due to end user issues). I tried setting up the IP address manually but it still failed. I think if you have one of the routers that works then the process is very simple and doesn't require any special expertise. However, if it fails then I don't think the end user will be able to fix the problem (but I hope I'm wrong).