Insignia Product Engineer

Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

Hi Joneiseman,

I am noticing a trend of people having a problem connecting with the Verizon FIOS Router.  Have you tried contacting Verizon support to help get the device setup.  I believe the problem is on their end.

Visitor

Roger,

What do you think is wrong with the Verizon FiOS router? I think it's setup fine since it works well with my laptop. Since so many people use the Verizon FiOS router, I think it would make sense for Insignia to test the NS-WBRDVD with this router and make sure it works (with encryption enabled).

Thanks,

Jon

We are in the process of trying to establish a relationship where we can get a router to test or supply a Blu-Ray to them for testing.  As of right now,  we do not have Verizon FIOS service in the local area so we are unable to get a Router and test it.  I can tell you we submitted our Blu-Ray to the Wi-Fi association and had it certified.  The certification for those who do not know is where the product is tested against a variety of other certified products to make sure they work.  I do not know if the Verizon Router has been certified. 

Part of the problem may have to do with range.  The Verizon FIOS Router is a 802.11G product with a single antenna and therefore limited in range.  The new 802.11N products have both better range and throughput.  The NS-WBRDVD is an 802.11N product but because of the metal enclosure has a small external antenna.  Many laptops have two antennas that run the length and width of the display giving them much better sensitivity. 

When you do a wireless network list do you see your Router?

Visitor

The NS-WBRDVD is reporting a Good connection so I don't think it's a range issue. Also, it gets the IP address fine if I disable encryption which again would argue against a range issue.

I do see the router on the wireless network list (on the NS-WBRDVD) and I get a good connection to the router but it fails to get an IP address.

Joneiseman,

Please check your private messages

Contributor

Some quick check on the internet shows that there are people (not related to this blu-ray player) that also have DHCP issues with this router. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/DHCP-isn-t-working-for-my-LAN-with-Actiontec-MI424WR/m-p/...

http://text.dslreports.com/forum/r19899145-ActionTec-MI424WR-Firmware-and-WPA-issues

http://text.dslreports.com/forum/r19792426-Actiontec-and-WPA-problems-connecting

Things to check/do...
*) While you are having the issue with the DVD player not getting an IP address, from your laptop, *RELEASE* and *RENEW* your IP address. Just turning off the laptop and then back on does not ask the router for a "new" IP address since the lease has not expired yet. Verify a new address has been assigned to your laptop. This will help verify that the router is in fact offering a new DHCP assigned IP address.

*) Disable and re-enable the DHCP server on the router. See if this helps.

*) From a previous suggestion, did you ever try moving the DVD player and the router closer together to see if that helped?

*) Did you verify that the available range of IP addresses being served by the DHCP server still has open, un-leased IP addresses?

*) When saying you disabled encryption, what exactly did you disable? Just turn off WEP? Have you tried yet using WPA2 Personal?

*) Have you TRIPLE checked your WEP key is correct on both sides (router & DVD player)?

Visitor

Hi Ciege,

The problem may be due to DHCP issues with the router but I'd still like to get it to work with the blu-ray player with encryption. The router is able to provide an IP address to the blu-ray player when I disable encryption. This means that there are still IP addresses available from the router (it is assigning an IP address to the blu-ray player when I disable encryption). When I say disable encryption I mean no WEP, no WPA, no WPA2, just an open connection. Yes, I have tried WPA2 (personal) and it also fails to get an IP address. It would be difficult to move the router and blu-ray player closer together unless I move the tv. In any case, I don't think that's the problem since it's getting a good connection. I have triple-checked my WEP key. If I don't give a correct key it won't connect to the router at all (so that's not the problem). I will work with Roger tonight to see if I can get this to work. I'd be curious to know if anyone has gotten this to work with a Verizon FiOS router.

Thanks,

Jon

Contributor

OK, well keep us updated. Sure sounds like a strange issue! Hopefully you are able to get this up and running. Like I said before, for this price point you would be hard pressed to find a similar player. But, I do know, that frustration has a price as well.

Good luck!
Visitor

I finally got it working. I rebooted the router and then I was able to successfully get an IP address on the NS-WBRDVD (with WPA2 encryption). So, it really was a router problem. I then had to turn the NS-WBRDVD off and back on again in order to get it to access the DNS (on the router). Thanks Ciege for your suggestions.
Contributor

Excellent. Glad it is working for you now... Going forward I wonder what the root issue is and what the final cure is.