Visitor

Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

I went through this and made it to the other side so here's something to try.  First, turn off your blu ray and then unplug it as well after installing the firmware update. (full reboot ala Windows)  If you change from WEP to WPA2 on your ATT router, you can keep the default encryption key, but you have to add a letter.  WPA2 requires at least one letter and one number to work.  The only thing you need to input to the player during setup is the encryption key. 

In the ATT software use "custom encryption" rather than the "default".  The software also allows you to increase the power rating in the event your blu ray is far from the router in your house.

Good luck and pass the turkey. . .

Contributor

Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Linksys router originally set up with WPA2 AES.  Player refused to connect.  I read on here that possibly the player was picky about the flavor of encryption.  So I changed the router to WPA2 TKIP+AES and changed the player to  WPA2 TKIP.  That worked.

Downloaded the update.  When the player rebooted it did not see the network at first.  Did not list it in found networks.

Set it up again manually and it worked.

Turned the player off and on a few times to test it.  One time it took8 or 10 seconds to log itself in.  The other times it logged in immediately.

So, a happy ending for me.

I spent four hours on hold with Verizon and Insignia on this. People at insignia said that there is a "compatability" problem, and are working on the problem. Couldn't give me a time frame for fixing it though. Rediculous. You would think this would have been caught in testing. Makes that sony model look more appealing.
Contributor

While one would expect Wi-Fi to be a solved problem, I have had a lot of trouble with compatibility between name brand units.  Linksys USB adapter, Belkin PCMCIA card, built-in Sony, built-in Mac on the PC end vs Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear routers on the other end.  Long story short, between my place, my girlfriend's place, and her mom's place, I've had various combinations of those devices.  It has taken several tries to get the correct router into the correct location to allow all of the devices at those locations to log in reliably.

I don't know why it's so hard.  I don't know if it's sloppiness on the part of everyone making these low-cost parts.  But Wi-Fi imcompatibility is still common.

So, you can't put blame squarely on Insignia.

BTW, I don't know about the router that Verizon supplied you, but the one that  they supplied my mom only provided WEP security.  WEP was cracked long ago and is not at all secure.  That was why I put a Linksys router on her network, to give her WPA protection.

Visitor

INSIGNIA REP STATES UNIT DOES NOT SUPPORT WEP ENCRYPTION AT THIS TIME.  INSIGINA IS WORKING ON WEP BUT NO ETA FOR IT.  WHEN AVAILABLE WILL BE A DOWN LOAD OR OFFERED ON A CD UPGRADE.  WPA DOES WORK WITH NO PROBLEM WITH VERIZON M1424WR WIRELESS ROUTER.

Insignia Product Engineer

RE:  sigmosig

I don't know what Insignia rep you are reffering to but I can assure you that WEP works now and always has.  We tested in the lab with numerous routers.  The only issue in using the device with a Verizon M1424WR Router is that the router gets in a state where it will not issue addresses through DHCP.  Powering off the router for 5 seconds and then powering it back on clears the issue.

Visitor

Not true, my verizon router continues to issue address thru DCHP to anything else with no problem however the DVD player can not attach.  There is no place in the DVD set up to put in the WEP key to make it connect.  If there is a place please inform the world as the Insigina rep I spoke to on the phone in tech support said there was no place for the WEP key as it is currently not supported but was being worked on.  So my friend, how about a step by step instruction on how to put in the WEP key on the DVD since there is no place to put it in????

RE: sigmosig

In the firmware that shipped on the unit you had to select the type of encryption and then enter the security key.  After the unit has been updated with the Netflix update it no longer needs you to tell it the encryption type.  It will automatically sense it and prompt you to enter the key.   I don't know which version of firmware you have to write the instructions.  If possible, hook the device up through the wired connection and make sure you have the latest firmware.

P.S.  While I am not the engineer for this product, I am the network engineer for Best Buy Exclusive Brands and am quite familiar with it.  You will find by reading through this thread that another person was having similar issues with the Verizon FIOS wireless router and it was corrected by rebooting the Verizon product.  You should also note that WEP is the least secure of all the security protocols.  Unless you have a device that requires WEP and cannot be upgraded through firmware or driver I recommend you upgrade to WPA or WPA2.

Visitor

Unit was hooked up to a wired connection and updated less than one week ago.  In setup after you select wireless it than ask's which encryption and when you select WEP it then ask's for login and password not SSID and no WEP key.  No matter what you put in for login or password, wep key, etc, it does not understand it and logon fails.  Only way to get it to work was I had to change parts of my network and go to WAP.  I have been in computers for years and know how to set up items on a network.  Agaig, after selecting WEP encryption it does not ask for a security key only login and password.

RE:  sigmosig,

If your system is updated,  when you select wireless you are presented with a menu containing the following options;

Network List

WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)

Manual

IP Settings

If you select Network List it will show all routers that are broadcasting.  If you select your router it will ask for the key.  It never asks the type of encryption.  If your router already has a disk icon in the list you should delete the connection before attempting this.