Insignia Product Engineer

Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

re: Sigmosig

The WEP support in this player is for shared keys only.  Make sure your router is set to shared or both and not open.  The name you reffer to is the SSID and the password is the key. 

Visitor

I can attest to that. I have a Verizon Westell 327W router and it has no other option except for WEP. I have tried everything and it does not work. Connecting the player via wire has no problem. It updated the firmware and played Netflix without any problem. However, when I tried wireless connection, nothing works. I set it up manually, yes it connects to the player but not to Netflix. It says connection success but eveytime I go to Netflix, it will ask me to set up my connection. I put in the SSID and encryption code and it says it is already connected. I tried sensing connected network and chose my Network, it will ask me to aet up connection again and when you entered your data, it will say it is already connected. Be aware though that there are 2 kinds of Westell 327W routers. One is made in China, like mine which has only the WEP option. The made in USA has both WEP and WPA options.

If you have the China made Westell 327W then you need another router that can do WPA or better still WPS. I bought the Belkin N150 enchanced router and took all of the connection from the Westell. I then connected the Belkin to the Westell and run all my connections from this router (Belkin), wired or wireless. Also, do not forget to disable your wireless connection on the Westell. This should work. I used the WPS connection because you do not have to put in any encryptions. You just indicate WPS from the player on your wireless drop down list and press the WPS button on the router until the screen says success. I hope this helps.   

And....   After returning this, I picked up a LG 390 BD player and guess what...it works flawlessly.  Not to mention, my PS3 now streams Netflix (I'm not worried about having to put in a disc, that's painless).  I will NEVER EVER buy another Insignia product again.  If I wasn't able to figure this out, how are people with no technical know-how expected to try and approach this with the only help coming from English as a Second Language customer support techs?  Terrible situation you have here...

Re: wvuwhat

I am truly sorry we were unable to resolve your issue.  I can assure you that there are thousands of customers that are less technical than you that have successfully connected this player.  If you have followed this thread you will see that there are many users such as yourself that have the Verizon FIOS wireless router that have issues connecting.  Coincidence?  I think not! 

P.S.  Our call center is not in India.  I do not know who you were talking to.  In any case,  I'm sorry your experience wasn't better.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

While I have this same problem (I have Verizon Fios router M1424WR) I can live without this so much so.

The solution, to my problem, is Having an xbox 360. I am able to have both this player (which I just got today) and the xbox hooked up at the same time.

The only time I'll need wireless is when I need to do a update for disc's and the player. All I do is turn off WEP, update, and put it back on. There, updated successfully!

With the XBOX, I actually get BETTER picture quality than this blu ray player and I like using the controller much more than the remote. (The controller can quickly move through the titles while this player goes 1 by 1)

So I'll use the XBOX for netflix while using wirelss just to do updates.

I'm too far for ethernet so I'm not THAT mad. Just a little bit.

I do HIGHLY RECOMMEND Insignia release and update ALLOWING WEP connections, SOON.

Message Edited by Poland626 on 12-01-2009 06:45 PM

re: Poland626

Since the problem you are experiencing is related to your Verizon FIOS router and not the player we will not be releasing a firmware to fix it.

Visitor

I recently bought the NS-WBRDVD and have the Verizon Fios router M1424WR.  Luckly I found this forum before I purchased my player so I was prepared to have a bit of a struggle hooking up the player wirelessly. 

Once i got the player home, like most, it would see the network with WEP, connect to the network but netflix would report not connected.  I tried multiple solutions offered in this thread and the ONLY one that worked was changing my security to WPA2 AND manually entering all network settings.  Be sure to get your DNS settings from the router admin page. 

Roger - I am disturbed by your last post where you put all the blame on Verizon.  There is an issue with these two devices getting a connection.  Dont play the finger pointing game, instead work togerther towards a solution.  Your statement (and attitude) in your last post only hurts the end customer.  With that in mind Insignia should consider it is far easier for me (or any customer) to return 1 DVD player for another brand than to switch an ISP, cable TV provider and Phone company.

[ Edited ]

re: darkside

We submitted our player to the Wifi certification process at a third party lab where it was tested against not only the standard but also a whole library of routers.  In every case it passed.  Those tests included WEP.  Furthermore I have tested the device in our own lab against Linksys, Belkin, D-Link and Dynex Routers.  We can successfully connect using WEP to all those routers. 

Unfortunately,  we are not in an area that has Verizin FIOS service so we are not able to trouble shoot the issue further.  We are attempting to reach out to Verizon to resolve the issue but so far it has been difficult to find the right party in Verizon to work with. 

Message Edited by Roger-INSG on 12-02-2009 07:42 AM
Message Edited by Roger-INSG on 12-02-2009 07:43 AM
Visitor

Roger,  It would make it much easier if clear instructions were posted here as well as on Insignia web page for WEP.  Since you use unconventional names it becomes confusing to those trying to set up the DVD player. Things like: 1. Your router must be set up for shared or both keys., 2. Name also means SSID., 3. Password also means Encryption Key,  4. You need to connect wired and do a firmware update., etc..  A step by step instruction sheet explaining would be of great help.  I have not had chance to get back to my setup but will in the next day.  You may have tested in your labs but you must remember you are working with people that know nothing about this type of set up.  Listed here are just a few that happen to find this information location.  Think of all the thousands that haven't and have already returned their DVD back to the store since they could not get WEP to work.  I would think it would behove Insignia to get this problem solved immediately as it is doing nothing but making a bad name for your products.  When I buy a product I don't expect to have to chase all over the web to figure out how to set it up and use it.  Also the "Quick Setup Guide" on your web site was of no help the way it is done.

Regards

re: sigmosig

The documents you suggest are being developed.