Re: NS-WBRDVD cannot connect to wireless network

Problem solved for me.  Bought a PS3 instead of using the insignia unit, which I couldn't get to work even after reconfiguring my network to WPA.  PS3 connected to FIOS without any problems. 

P.S. the call center, wherever it is located, is worthless.  I wasted several hours of my life on hold, and speaking to people who could not offer any support. 

Visitor

Ok, I only tried it once (since I was in a rush) but this worked. Making it shared keys allowed WEP to work on my router. It was open and now it's shared.
Visitor

This is unfortunate as I think Insignia will suffer the effects of frustrated customers that are not very "tech literate".  I really enjoy my player and think it is a fine product.  As a verizon customer with a Actiontec router it was some trial and error work to get it going.  I hope you do find some Department in Verizon that can assist you in finding the solution to the WEP problem with the Verizon router. 

Insignia Product Engineer

re: darkside

It appears the Verizon FIOS Wireless router is using Open Keys for WEP as the default.  The NS-WBRDVD player uses Shared Keys.  By changing the router setting to Shared it will work.

Visitor

Thank you Roger.  That being said I think it would be a great idea for the guide document Sigmosig suggested.  You will never make a guide that will please everyone but it would help.
Visitor

I have been working on this off and on for almost a month, my life gets in the way sometimes,and I would love to be one of the people in here that can write problem solved! So I will try one last thing before returning. Shared keys??? I have no use for a Blu ray player but thought it would be handy to have so I went this route for Netflix. Just for your information the insignia call center (not in Utah) when I told her I had FiOS she said to return by DVD player because it just was not compatible and would be a waste of time  going over anything. I thought I would check site one last time because I remember people talking about FiOS and thought they had it working. So I will try to figure out this shared key thing and if no luck find a new product. Also on a previous call (someplace) I asked for a disc to use for an upgrade because the one I burned did not work. He did not know what I was talking about and tried to be helpful but we were cut off.
Visitor

The problem and solution is not all that complicated.  But first -- this thread was started over a month ago and despite being visited by Insignia tech people, the problem has still not been explained or the solution posted.  Amazing!  I hope some Insignia or Best Buy manager type reads this thread and fires you all.

The Insignia wireless bluray player NS-WBRDVD will only work with a shared key WEP encryption system.  The Verizon Fios Actiontec router, on the other hand, uses an open key WEP encryption system.  (I have seen some people comment that the Actiontec router which says Made in U.S.A. can switch between open key and shared key and it is only the Actiontec router which says made in China that uses only the shared key, but I don't know if that is true since I have never seen a U.S. made Actiontec router.  Anyway, I digress -- )

When the Actiontec router is installed by Verizon, the technicians leave the default setting for the encryption to WEP.  The Actiontec router will, however, support other encryption systems that are compatible with the Insignia bluray - namely WPA encryption.  (As another digression - WPA encryption is far better then WEP encryption.  WEP encryption can easily be broken by some simple tools that any idiot can download over the web.  Verizon should really use the WPA encryption as their default and I have no idea why they don't.)

To change the encryption system on the Actiontec router, open a web browser (like Internet Explorer) and type http://192.168.1.1.  You should get a screen asking for a user name and password.  The default user name set by Verizon is Admin, and the default password is either password or password1.  Once you are in, select "Wireless Settings" from the top bar, select "Advanced Security Settings" from the menu on the left, and change you encryption from WEP to WPA-tkip.  You will no longer use the WEP key that came with the Actiontec router, but will be prompted to choose a new one.  Save  these settings and exit.

Your router will now be using WPA encryption which will work with the Insignia wifi bluray player.  Follow the instructions to set up the bluray player and when it asks you what type of encryption, choose WPA-tkip and input the new key that you picked (not the old WEP key).

Make sure to also change any other computers, laptops, etc.. that are using your wireless network to the WPA-tkip encryption protocol and your new encryption key/password, and you will be all set.  It is very easy do do in Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc... using Network connection tools.

That's all folks.

by the way - my bluray now works perfectly, so I highly doubt I'll be back to visit this forum, so don't bother sending me any nasty responses as I won't see them.

I was able to get a connecting but the link status has been on acquiring IP address all day - what do I do to fix this? 
Visitor

Thanks Roger.  I have a very old D-Link (DI-524).  I set it up years ago and never made any changes from the default other than using WEP. By default it was set to open.  I changed to shared, renamed my SSID for the test.  I was able to connect without any hitch.  I than changed my SSID back to the old name and again was able to connect no problem.  I did have to make a change to my Lenovo netbook, it was looking for   "OPEN".

Thank you "Unsatisfied." Your solution worked perfect. For anyone with Verizon Fios with the actiontec router, see the posting above from "Unsatisfied." It works. After you connect, you will receive the "Netflix Firmware Update." When the download is finished, your player will reboot. When it comes back up you may have to enter your password again. I've been streaming nextflix all night tonight. It works great. Don't return your unit. I bought mine a few days before Thanksgiving for $129.00 at Best Buy. I consider this a steal.

Thanks again!