Visitor

NS-WBRDVD2 won't play without an update.

My NS-WBRDVD2 player told me I needed an update when I tried to play the new Die Hard movie.  I updated the firmware for my player and it still told me that I need an update. 

Highlighted
Insignia Support

Re: NS-WBRDVD2 won't play without an update.

Hello kdsweeney,

Welcome to Community@Insignia™!

Insignia is dedicated to meeting consumers’ needs and is always exploring new ways to bring innovation, value and dependability to our products. While we focus on creating new connected products that take advantage of the latest technologies, we’re not always able to support backward compatible updates to our older hardware models. Such is the case for our Blu-ray models which will no longer be supported with firmware updates. Of course, these products will continue to operate as they do today -- playing DVDs, older Blu-ray disks, and streaming internet content -- and our customers can still take advantage of hardware support through our in-store, online and over the phone Geek Squad agents.  If you have specific questions about these or other Insignia products, you may contact Insignia Customer Service at 1-877-467-4289.

Regards,
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

So there will no longer be any updates for my Blu-ray player?   

So what we're being told is that because this blu-ray player isn't the newest model - we're now out the money we payed for the player AND this new movie we bought, because Fox or whomever has added some new code to their blu-rays and Insignia refuses to support it?  The whole point of buying an internet connected blu-ray player was to avoid this very issue.  I could understand if the player was broken that I'd need to replace it - but a company as big as Best Buy is selling players that work just fine- as long as you don't mind never playing a movie that was released after a certain date.  This is beyond ridiculous.  I guess never buying ANY product from Best Buy again is the only way to guarantee that you won't end up with what should be a perfectly good piece of equipment that ends up being $150 paperweight.  

So basically whay you are saying is that I was a sucker to buy an Insignia product and I'd be an idiot to buy any of your products again. Great reply about being able to player older Blu-ray discs. Great customer service. 

Visitor

I got seriously hurt at work and the company I worked for didn't stand by me.   

I am on disability, so my finances are rather limited.  Since my finances are rather limited, I am not happy that a product I bought a short time ago is no longer going to be supported.  If I have to replace my blu-ray player, I will not buy its replacement at Best Buy.  I guess I will avoid buying anything at Best Buy unless I have no other option, and there are always other options.       

Visitor

This is really disappointing.  Our Blu-ray is not very old.  Is there really nothing that can be done?  Computers can be updated.  Can a card be replaced?

Visitor

Stop purchasing the new Blu Rays and return the ones that don't play without a software upate.  The studios are the ones making the disc unplayable on your machine.  If they got rid or copy protection or stop changing the copy protection, we would not have this problem of needing to update firmware.

Visitor

I have stopped buying from Best Buy because they refuse to update the firmware. 

i hear you....i have stopped buying anything from bestbuy as well....

since they keep deleting my posts....lol i will keep telling my story

i got hurt at work, then fired when they found out i needed more surgery to try to fix my spine. i worked at a "big box" store where everyone wore blue polo shirts and tan pants....hint hint. later i wore black and orange until i got hurt on the job hanging bigscreen tvs during the christmas rush. my former employer cares about nothing but the days end revenue number, not their employees, not their customers, not even their profit margins.....just the total revenue at the end of the night. its so stupid, they are running the company into the ground. 

i have spent well over 100, 000 dollars at bestbuy between may 1998 and november 2011. i was a tech geek and had to have all the newest electronics before my injuries. now i am without income and can barely afford to buy a bluray movie much less a new player to watch it. luckily, i have a ps3 in the house so i wont die because of this issue.

HH gregg here i come for my next bluray player. bought my last ps3 there, my last 2 wireless headphones, and 3 flatscreen tvs. i even ran into a guy that used to work for me there, he said he got out and is much happier in his new job