movelli

Portable DVD Player - Dark/Black LCD

Thought I could ask here and see if there's someone to help.  I have an Insignia portable dvd player model NS-PDVD8A that has the LCD screen gone black but I can hear the dvd playing. 

Anyone know  how I can fix this or anything I can do?

Thank you!

nes
Contributor
nes

Re: Portable DVD Player - Dark/Black LCD

Usually when the LCD screen has gone black it means that the ribbon cable is loose or a capacitor/resister in the mainboard has gone bad. Try moving the screen around a little to see if the picture is going to come on.  You can try returning the item or get it repaired by someone else.

If you think you can repair it, you'll need to get the correct screw bit for the tiny screws that you'll need to take out in order to open the unit, make sure you have a thin screwdriver that's able to go in to small holes.  Then check the wires and make sure they are all connected and then you would detach the screen by taking out 2 screws and check the wire going to the screen to make sure it's not warped/torn from you moving the screen around so much.  If everything seems fine then you'll need to spend about 20-30 dollars and get an electric multimeter and probe each resistor/capacitor.  If there is a bad one then you'll need to get a soldering tool and tweezers to carefully get the bad resistor/capacitor out, then buy a new resister/capacitor which usually come in packs of 10-20 which will cost you about 5 dollars AND you also need to buy thin copper braid wicker tape ($5) AND liquid flux ($10) AND a universal soldapult ($15) AND rosin core solder 60/40 ($10) AND a magnifying glass on a table ($20).  Soldering takes experience and you'd most likely have an incomplete joint/excessive solder that will touch other resister/capacitor and make your dvd player go in smoke. 

movelli

Thanks for the reply.  By the sounds and the cost, i'd be better off just getting a new one right?

nes
Contributor
nes

Actually, I would recommend you get a used/returned/refurbished one through an auction website or cowboom.com. 

Another cause for a black screen can be a burnt out blacklight bulb which is difficult to fix.