Insignia Support

Re: brdvd4 won't turn fully on. It just flashes a blue light.

Hello newginafets,

Welcome to Community@Insignia™!

As a matter of practice, we provide all available troubleshooting steps and recommend service only as a last resort. If you have tried the steps previously provided without success, then your player will likely require repairs. Service can be obtained through Geek Squad.

Regards,
John
Insignia™ Support

I had the same issue, my blu ray player would switch on, the blue light would flash for awhile, no menu would come up, and eventually it would turn off (and the led would go back to red).

There is a large capacitor on the main board (the power cord feeds directly into this board), the value of this capacitor is 100mf at 400V. The voltage that goes into this capacitor is actually about 160V. I tested this capacitor and it was actually bad, in fact it tested as an open circuit. (though it looked fine to the eye) I replaced it with a 200mf capacitor at 250V...and the unit turned on and worked perfectly. You can usually replace a capacitor with a capacitor that has a higher mf capacity...never go lower. The reason 250V works fine is that it never has to deal with a voltage above 200V. I really hope this helps some of you! Good luck!

There's your answer folks.  Insignia apparently uses cheap capacitors.  I opened mine up and the capacitor EnRouge mentions is bulging at the top - a common sign of failure in an electrolytic capacitor.  If a cap is leaking, that's a definite sign of failure.  If you're electronics savvy or you have a friend who is, you can probably just fix it by replacing any bad caps.

Unfortunately, I was hoping the real answer was as simple as a different form of reset (IE: a switch inside.)

Thanks for the tip.  It certainly focused my efforts and saved a lot of troubleshooting time.

Contributor

What worked for me was powering the blu-ray play up WITHOUT THE HDMI CONNECTED and then plugging it in after it fully turns on.  After that, I went to settings, system, InLink, and turned InLink off.  This seems to have fixed my issue.

From what I'm reading this is a very well known issue with these products and I'm 100% confident the manufacturer knows exactly what the cause what the fix. And what would be nice for customer retention sake being that these players are inexpensive the respectful thing to do would be to say when it does this it's time for a new player or maybe they crashed the firmware intentionally. Maybe when a player is a few years old they won't waste the money to write new firmware because they want you to buy a new one. My old dvd player still works great ,why waste people's time. You already know those on a site like this warranty periods have lapsed. And maybe we all should just boycott insignia and best buy
Highlighted

I also have the same issue......I turn on my bluray (which is about 4-5 yrs old and discontinued) and the blue light blinks and the "hello" comes across the screen and then it turns off, but also I can't open the tray and my tv doesn't recognize the bluray.  So I'm just screwed all around!!

Please HELP!!