Raincrow

first time DVD owner hook up problems....

I just got an Insignia LCD TV and followed that purchase with my first DVD player. It's a Memorex MVD2047. I've got everything connected correctly (I think) but am not getting a response on my TV remote when I hit "DVD." So I can't tell it that I'm trying to switch to DVD mode. The Memorex website had no relevant information on this problem. I don't know whether to deal with Sears (where I got the DVD player); Comcast; Memorex or Insignia for tech support. This can't be an uncommon problem but I am new to the technology and need some assistance sorting it all out. 

So, I think the simplest way of asking my question is ... what do I do with the Insignia remote and/or the Memorex remote to get the TV onto the correct channel to play DVDs?

Contributor
cannonfodder

Re: first time DVD owner hook up problems....

[ Edited ]

Look on the back of the TV to where the cable that connects the DVD player to the TV is plugged in. 

Depending on the type of cable it should be labled HDMI, composite, component, s-video or the like.  For best results use an HDMI cable. 

Look to see if there is a number next to the label as well, for example HDMI 1 or Video Comonent 2. 

Change the channel on the tv to the corresponding input, if the DVD player is plugged into HDMI 2, then cycle the inputs to HDMI 2. 

If the DVD player is on and functional, this should give you a signal.

Message Edited by cannonfodder on 09-05-2009 09:36 PM
Raincrow

The connecting cables that I have are the red, white and yellow jacks that came with the DVD player. I have them plugged into the corresponding inputs on the back of the TV.  There are HDMI connections on both devices but I don't have HDMI cables. Surely this can work with the factory-provided accessories. Anyway, I still can't get the TV to read the DVD player. 

Thanks for your help so far. If you have any other ideas on what I'm doing wrong or neglecting to do, please post them!  

Contributor
cannonfodder

try tuning the tv to video 1 or video 2, or composite 1 or 2, or maybe just line in.  the plug in the back of the tv should say which source it is, ie give you a connection number or letter.  then hit the source button on the tv or remote until you arrive at that connection.
Raincrow

Got it! I'm in business. Thanks so much for your help!