Visitor

Re: NS-CNV20 Map Updates.

Thanks Romeroom, And congratulations on your success with tech support, many of us have failed.

Visitor

Hi romeroom,

Thanks for the update, downloaded the file no problem. Now am trying to extract and it says that it is password protected?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide . . . you have already been significantly more helpful than folks at my local Best Buy.

Highlighted
Visitor

Heads up on Insignia GPS NS-CNV20, as I am sure everyone has already figured out and I am the last to know, Best Buy is obviously no longer supporting this item. Geek Squad at local store (whom I do not have a problem with, I just think they don't know either.) Keep saying they can update firmware (so can anyone from Insignia website) but that there is no map update . . . too bad sooo sad. I spent 53 plus minutes on phone with insignia customer support this afternoon (after being disconnected twice while on hold) and was told that "any links found on this forum are over a year and a half old, do not contain updated maps, the Geek Squad are the only ones who can update the unit" They also tell me apologetically that I "should return my GPS and purchase a Garmin or a TOM TOM so I do not have this headache in the future".  I basically own a paperweight / nightlight for my car?

I was able to successfully download the zip file posted here but it is password protected when trying to extract. I am still curious if this would be an updated map and if anyone else had any success with extracting the file.  I stumbled on this forum after searching both Best Buy and Insignia websites. I am beyond frustrated. It should NOT be this hard to get either the update or some basic customer service. I actually like the GPS unit and do not want a different one, just an updated map. I can not believe that the end result of several trips to local store (after purchasing online so as to NOT have to go to store) and numerous phone calls, hold times of over 15 minutes where I am then disconnected and several customer service conversations one of which was over 50 minutes ends with " try the Geek Squad again at the store but to be honest you should return your insignia and purchase a garmin or tomtom"?????

Thanks and good luck!

Visitor

I dont know if that link is a map update or not...

I got to the point of overfrusutration with BestBuy after trying to get updates for over 6 months.

Finally sold my insignia on craigslist 2 weeks ago and got a Garmin 1250T. (awesome unit)

good luck

Visitor

I used the link romeroom provided last night and it worked fine.  It extracted just fine and installed an update program.  It brought my maps up to 2009 rev. 2 so much better than 2008.

Thanks romeroom for the link.  How long it works is anyone's guess.

Visitor

I believe the phrase is something like "open your eyes before your mouth . . ." which I should have done. I downloaded the file again and success. Extracted, updated etc. GPS now has maps current as of February of 2009. I obviously screwed something up first time around. Thanks again romeroom. 

Visitor

Last follow up . . . Sophie for Insignia (tech support or customer service not sure) called to check if I had been able to update my GPS and if all was well. I said that I had updated the GPS with the update from February 2009 and unless Geek Squad has a more current one, I am all set. She checked and said that the Feb. 2009 update is the most current and that they are hoping to have a new map update out this quarter. She also said I should receive "an alert" on my GPS when there is a new update available. Hope so, we will see. Either way, I can't post about bad service without posting that followup  service (From  Insignia) was good.  Also to let anyone know that the link for the update posted by romeroom is the most current according to Insignia.

Visitor

Hi the problem is that you still need a few more files in that sd card.... The firmware from insignia is just one of them. thanks

can someone send me the file that romeroom posted, i cant find his post anywhere. thanks

Visitor

I am looking for the map update too.  Can someone send me the link?

Thanks