Contributor

Re: 8" Flex updating: "Check Failed! Please check your network!"

was able to get super mario run, demo game running, some reason its no longer crashing same game version, I don't no what did it, all I did was clear the games store data of 140MB and relunch it again, that time their was no crashing, used windows 10 mobile hotspot to get error connection problem gone, it downloaded the game data, then runs and links to nintendo account , so far no problems, again I don't no why it crashed on this tablet , no longer having that problem with it, again not sure what fixed my problem with this game app, well thats my last reply back about it, since I no longer need to email them about it, since it seemed to fix itself when I cleared the game stored data cache , seemed to fix the crashing bug, again I don't no what had caused the crashing problem in the first place, since it's no longer doing that on my insignia tablet 10.1.

Highlighted
Insignia Product Engineer

Hello Rob,

Somthing in the game settings was probably corrupted the first time and when you did the subsequent downloads it restored the issue.  once you vleared the stores cache it cleared the problem.  In any case I am happy you got it running.

Visitor

So this problem goes back to 12/1/2013 and Insignia and Best Buy have yet to give us a solution on how to fix these tablets so they stop crashing and can be updated. It has been over 3 years now!!!  Give us a manual update that we can download on to something else and put onto these tablets, or send it to Best Buy for those who can't do that.  Just do something to try to save what little reputation you might think you have. 

I explained to the BB salesperson what I was looking for in a tablet for my almost 70yo mother.  He said that the 10" Insignia tablet would be perfect and that I didn't need to spend more on a better known brand.  He failed to leave out that it wasn't upgradable, it would crash on my mother multiple times a day and would constantly drop her very strong WiFi signal. 

It is too late for me to return to get my money back, so now I just want it fixed.  Her 2011 ThinkPad works better than this **bleep** tablet.

Come on, Insignia.  So far your response time and customer service is right up there with the cable company.

Regular Contributor

The adage about getting what you pay for applies here. Android devices tend to stop being updated sooner than Windows and iOS devices.

I own an Insignia NS-P08W7100. It receives general Windows 10 updates as do my Microsoft Surface devices. But, the table's recovery files are unavailable, so, if drivers become corrupted, the tablet is headed for the recycling bin.

A check of entry level tablets offered by other labels shows a striking similarity in hardware specs. I suspect that these tablets are manufactured by a single company and then customized for the various labels.

I guess the upshot is, spend a little more money for a higher quality product...be it Android or Windows.
I Love "FEATURE 00"
Visitor

@dexman

My problem is that I specifically looked at other tablets and spoke to the salesman about what my mother liked about mine, and the things she didn't want because of 'generational differences.'

I had just been giving her my old ones because she knew how to use them from borrowing them. I'd run updates until they couldn't be updated anymore. It is unthinkable for a piece of technology like a tablet to come out of the box without the ability to be updated. They shouldn't bother.

Since they are in with Best Buy, there should be a warning when you buy it. WON'T UPGRADE PAST ANDROID 6.0.1. Best Buy and Insignia both knew they had problems.
Regular Contributor

The limited number of Android updates isn't unique to Insignia. Samsung is the same way. It depends upon the capabilities of the processor. Android, Windows and iOS...eventually every device won't be able to be updated. With Android...it happens sooner than with Windows and iOS.

I Love "FEATURE 00"
Visitor

While I appreciate your defense of this product, and so can only assume why. The product allows NO updates. 'Limited number' is limited to zero, which, depending on your choice of mathematics or philosophy is not really a number that could be included in 'limited number.'
Visitor

My mother's tablet was bought a year ago, BTW. The 12/1/2013 date was when they were notified of the first problem, by someone else. Seems they need some clairification.
Regular Contributor

For example...my old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) received one OS update and a few security patches when Samsung pulled the plug. My Samsung Galaxy S4 went from Kit Kat to Lollipop and that was it. Security updates came from the carrier, but, the phone was not going to get Marshmallow. The Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Galaxy S are high end devices.

Again, if the processor and internal circuitry can handle an upgrade, it will come. If the manufacturer feels that the circuitry can't handle it, based upon guidance issued by Google then updates will end. It isn't about defending the tablet. It is explaining why devices get multiple updates while other devices don't.
I Love "FEATURE 00"
Visitor

dexman,

Come on, man. It can. I've checked the specs. You are assuming that people don't know how to do that. I have done this before. This particular one was set-up incorrectly. Not sure why you are taking this personally.