Can 64-bit support be enabled on the Insignia Flex 11.6" Windows tablet?

I bought an NS-P11W7100 and saw that it has a 64-bit capable Intel Atom processor. Windows says it's 32-bit but 64-bit capable and the BIOS says that the CPU is 64-bit, but when I try to run the 64-bit windows installer I get an error saying that my architecture does not support 64-bit.

Is there a way to enable 64-bit support or are the non-CPU parts of the tablet limiting it to 32-bit?

Contributor

Re: Can 64-bit support be enabled on the Insignia Flex 11.6" Windows tablet?

No, it's 32bit.

Which part? The Atom processor is clearly 64-bit capable. What about the tablet is not supporting 64-bit?

Contributor

Both are 32 bit, they are controlled by 32 bit drivers.

According to the System control panel under System type it says "32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor". Of course the drivers are 32-bit because the version of Windows the tablet comes with is 32-bit. The drivers are not the problem, they're just software.

Also, if you look at Intel's specs for the CPU (Intel(R) Atom(TM) x5-Z8300) it clearly says that the CPU has a 64-bit instruction set:

https://ark.intel.com/products/87383/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8300-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-1_84-GHz

So I'd still like to know if there is another piece of hardware in the tablet forcing it to not support 32-bit or if it is perhaps the BIOS itself which is not 64-bit capable.

Contributor

The bootloader which is software is only going to boot 32bit, you can post links til the end of time the bottom line won't change, you aren't now nor ever going to run 64bit on your 32bit tablet.

If were a Windows programmer you could write a bios update that would all booting 64bit, of course if you could do that you would have already done so.

Anyway good luck, if you have a 32bit Linux or 32 bit windows you won't have any problems with them, provided you know how to boot them via USB.

You've finally given a useful answer, so it's the bootloader or perhaps BIOS that is 32-bit, not the hardware.

Visitor

Actually it is 64bit cabable. No such thing as a 32 or even 64 bit  bios. The Bios translates the machine language of the hardware to the OS of the machine. Finding 64 bit drivers for the machine may be a bit of an issue as there is no real driver support for these cheap Windows tablets.

But if your sticking windows theres no real benifit to installing the 64bit versions with only 2 gigs of ram. If you could expand to 4 gigs then maybe but even still.. 64 bit windows is substantially larger than the 32 bit. And besides with the 4 core virtualization that intel and Microsoft are utilizing in the 32 bit envirnment its actually not to bad. Its not like the other cores are being wasted. Far from it theyre being used in a virtual machine type environment. Kinda clever really. And keeps costs down by only using the 2 gigs.

Some people have had sucess installing 64 bit versions of windows but aparently sound and maybe wifi drivers are an issue. And who knows what else. I cant see getting beter performance from it with only 2 gigs ram.

Although I read somewhere that the latest Ubunto 64 bit installs and runs very well on these flextabs. But you need a work around to get wifi working I think and theres as of yet no support for the touch screen.

Im pretty happy with its preformance as it is so far. Considering what I payed. Its a decent little machine. Keyboard is decent too.

But no doubt as the market gets more of these atom based intel tabs out there Ubunto or other OS's may be worth looking into at some point.

I'm a windows guy here though. Maybe as a dual boot!

I definitely agree, there's no real point for loading 64 bit on these, I picked one up myself the other day. There would be essentially no benefit in doing so unless you can open it and find a way to drop more than 4gb of ram in, and if that's the plan then you'll need to upgrade the drive as well because 64 bit isn't going to fit very well on our flimsy little 32gb storage. And like he said, they already have a lot of optimization going on for the 32 bit with these baby processors, and if you really need more performance out of this the only thing you can really do is page part of your drive to act as backup ram. Not going to lie, that's that I did so I've got mine running 6gb of backup ram for a total of 8 right now and it's actually kind of a power house considering it was only $100 at the black Friday sale I got it on.

this ram u added how did u do that... also anyone know how to get ri of some of the back round porgrams or install a fresh win.. cpu on this hit 100% if u sneeze to hard....