Crap! I disabled my tablets USB ports! Can't reset bios to get them back!

I'm in deep trouble.

I was trying to get my tablet (Insignia 11.6" Flex Win10 with detachable keyboard) to boot from USB by changing the BIOS settings (changing Boot Order didn't work) and inadvertantly disabled my USB ports!

There is no Bios Reset button, and even though I can get INTO bios by holding Volume Up+Power at startup, I can't change menu screens once I'm there (Volume buttons only act as Up/Down and Power as "Enter") to undo what I did or reset the bios to its defaults.

Now I can't use the detachable keyboard or any USB drives/devices!

Who builds a computer w/o a bios reset button???

Insignia Support

Re: Crap! I disabled my tablets USB ports! Can't reset bios to get them back!

Hello Mugsy,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

I'll be happy to look into this for you if you will please reply with your tablet model number.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Thanks for the reply. This is the tablet I purchased:

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-P11W7100/5255800

The problem has only gotten worse since I posted that plea for help. Smiley Sad

I found information online suggesting the Bios cound be reset from a Linux terminal, so I attempted to install a Dual Boot with Linux. It failed to install Linux but it DID install a Boot Menu that does not support the touch screen, so I can't select Windows to launch it.

The only hope I have left is to reset the Bios electronically by opening the tablet (which I have done) and manipulating the "Winbond FlashRAM" chip inside. Here are the instructions supplied to me by Winbond, but it is mostly Greek to me:

===================
First of all, you have to convert from /hold pin to /reset pin. you have to write the status register-3 for that.
Please read the SR3 first with 15h. I think it should be 60h or something else. If it’s 60h, you have to change it to E0h with 11h command.

Here is the write status register-3 sequence.
06h (Write Enable)
11h (Write SR3)
E0h (SR3 value)
Wait for BUSY bit clear or ~15ms after /CS high.
15h (Read SR3).
===================

I don't know what this means I'm supposed to do? Apply charges to individual pins to "set" them? Which pins and for how long? Any assistance you might provide would be most helpful.

(Specsheet for the Winbond IC can be found on pg 7 of the following PDF.)

Insignia Support

Hello Mugsy,

Thank you for the update and additional information.

I have passed along your concern to our engineers. As soon as I have more details to share, I will reply again to your message. I'm sorry to have to impose upon your patience in the interim.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Insignia Support

Hello Mugsy,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into your situation.

At this point, I would recommend that you carry your tablet in to your local Geek Squad for further assistance. You can schedule an appointment by visiting We're Here to Help and selecting "Make a Reservation" under "Getting Help is Easy."

Please note: since the tablet has been opened, any warranty that may have existed for your tablet has been voided as this action can only be taken by authorized technicians. As a result, any repairs to be completed would be at your expense.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Thanks, but "Geek Squad" was my first move. They were unable to help.

The tablet is also out of warranty (now 13 months old.)

I am presently in contact with the makers of the FlashRAM chip that stores the Bios settings to see if there is a way to clear it w/o removing it.