ckr

How to boot from USB on Flex 11.6?

Hello. I just acquired an Insignia Flex 11.6 running Windows 10, and would like to turn it into a dual-boot machine running the existing Windows OS, as well as Ubuntu Linux.

However, I have not found a way to get it to boot from the USB drive that contains Ubuntu Linux and the installer. I have successfully gotten to the Aptio setup utility, disabled the secure boot, the quiet boot and the fast boot, as well as tried the boot override.

In all cases, the computer ignores the USB drive and boots into Windows. I'm sure the USB drive is bootable, since it works on other machines.

Is this possible on this computer? Thanks.
Visitor

Re: How to boot from USB on Flex 11.6?

sorry to necropost but i am having this exact issue as well with no info on how to get around this problem

i have seen some people on here claim to get linux up and running on these, but none have said how, and i am starting to think their noses are just growing. 

if any of these people see this: no offense but feel free to prove me wrong by posting the method you used.

p.s. if it matters i am using the ns-p11w7100 model not the w6100 model. i hear that the atom x5-z8300 has better linux compatability now anyway so i guess that helps, at least if i can get it to boot to usb

ckr

I gave up on the dual boot approach. What *does* work, however, is running Ubuntu Linux in Virtual Box inside Windows on the machine. Surprisingly well, in fact...
Visitor

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! you have to build a linux iso with a 32-bit efi instead of a 64-bit efi* and it boots to from usb if you select your drive in the bios exit menus boot override list.

now i just have to find a distro that doesnt freak out on this tablet. lubuntu will not boot past its splash screen and ubuntu no longer does 32bit isos in 17.10 which is the version i need since it has kernel 4.13 which actually natively supports cherry trail hardware from what i read.

will try a straight debian install (where i get the 32bit efi from) and see if that works and will update

*link to build the iso here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support/715843#715843

Visitor

also figured out the cause of the freakout when trying to launch the lubuntu and debian installers:

had to go into bios where the settings for the trusted computing module are (tpm) and change the compliance option from 1.0 to 1.x and voila! debian now launches it installer when prompted. going try lubuntu since it has a live environment that i can check everything in first. should go better since debian currently uses an older kernel (4.9) that doesnt play terribly nice with atom and lubuntu, which is lxde ubuntu (lighter requirements) uses i think kernel 4.12 or 4.13. which has the support built in iirc.

btw, i would have just edited my last post but i dont see ana option for it.

p.s. for future reference to anyone who might wonder: Insignia will not give this info out but you can access the bios without doing and advanced restart in windows by mashing the esc or delete key (either one works) right after the keyboard numlock light blinks when you turn on the unit. makes this SOOOOOOO much easier. no wonder they wont tell us what key it is.

Visitor

the 32bit uefi is only needed to boot, you can install a 64-bit os, i have kde neon 17.10 with kernel 4.13 running on mine at the present. The sound issues can be fixed by blacklisting pulse audio and the silead driver can be loaded for the touchscreen by patching the driver.

Highlighted
Visitor

how about the card reader? any luck with that? i used lubuntu and while i can probably get the sound/touch working now that i have something to research into on how, the card reader appears to be unrecognized entirely. if i can get a pointer on that to use my google-fu on, i might try again with linux