Visitor

HowTo - Install fersh copy of Windows 10 on an Insignia Windows Tablet (NS-15MS0832)

How to fresh install Windows 10 (or I suppose Windows 8.1) on an Insignia Windows Tablet (NS-15MS0832)

I bought a couple of these tablets from www.cowboom.com when they were $40. These tablets come with Windows 8.1 but I wanted to put Windows 10 on there for some it’s cool stuff. I figured from a performance perspective, if it can run Windows 8.1, it should run 8.1 just fine. However, being old school, I always like to fresh installs. This is a little problematic given for whatever reason, Insignia/BestBuy refuses to post the drivers for fresh installs. With that said, I decided because I had a couple of these, I would simply fresh install one of them and use the other running 8.1 as a reference. I also saved out all the required drivers from the 8.1 install because it appears some of the drivers are very hardware specific and if you let Windows Update install drivers, somethings don’t work right (at least for me – auto rotate flips upside down, camera doesn’t work, etc…)

These are the steps I did, there may be some shortcuts or easier ways but with these generic steps, I have two NS-15MS0832 running the free copies of Windows 10 upgrade with 16GB+ of free space and a nice fresh install. To begin, you will need a couple things:

1. On-The-Go (OTG) cable, here is the one I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Micro-USB-Adapter-6-Inch/dp/B00GM0OZ4O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=14...

I already had this one so I used it, there are other types of OTG cables that will allow you to charge and use the USB port at the same time, I simply did a full charge of the tablet before starting and used this cable

1. USB powered hub

(plug into OTG cable)

1. USB Keyboard
  2. USB Mouse

(this is optional but makes installing W10 easier)

1. USB Thumb Drive with Windows 10 media on it, use below to create media. Create x86 (32-bit media not x64, 64-bit media)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1. Drivers for following devices from the 8.1 install. If you still have your 8.1 install, you can find the drivers you need under the folder:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

Grab the entire folders that contain these files:

Accelerometer (bma2x2accelerometer.inf)

Audio (rtii2sac.inf)

Camera (camera.inf)

Camera Sensor (hm2056.inf)

I2C Controller E (iaioi2ce.inf)

Intel(R) TrustedExecutionEngine (txei.inf)

Touchscreen (goodixtouchdriver.inf)

If you don’t have the 8.1 install any more, I put them on my OneDrive folder in a ZIP

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6D879F12557690FA!370415&authkey=!AD_l-6F9YbUNN1E&ithint=folder...

Copy the drivers to a folder on the root of the same Thumb Drive that contains your Windows 10 media (from step 5)

Probably makes sense to create a “Recovery Drive” before you start, if you want to, you’ll need an additional USB thumb drive. Go to Control Panel / Recovery and click on “Create a recovery drive” and follow the instructions. You’ll can then go back to 8.1 if you need to. I didn’t do this but I did have a second NS-15MS0832 that I could lean on if the first upgrade was a disaster. So, with that said, get a second USB thumb drive and make a recovery image.

Once you have all the above, the first thing you want to do is actually do an upgrade of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. You want to do this sooner than later so you get the free upgrade , look online for when the free upgrade expires. Once you have upgraded “once”, a machine ID is stamped on the Microsoft Activation servers so that if you ever reload the machine with Windows 10, it will see that it was previously activated with Windows 10 and will simply activate again. If you are having problems upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows Update, free up a bunch of space, plug your OTG cable in and plug your thumb drive with Windows 10 on it and run SETUP.EXE from the thumb drive.

If you skip upgrading from 8.1 to 10 (or if you miss the date for the free upgrade), you can still do a fresh install of Windows 10, you will just have to pay to activate.

So, to do an actual fresh install, charge your tablet all the way up and then follow these steps:

1. Turn off your tablet
  2. Plug your OTG cable into the tablet
  3. Plug your USB Hub into the wall for power
  4. Plug your USB Hub into the OTG cable
  5. Plug your mouse, keyboard, thumb drive (with Windows 10 media and Drivers) in the USB Hub
  6. Turn on the tablet and push the F2 and/or DEL key until you go into the BIOS
  7. With the keyboard, navigate over to the Boot tab and setup the option for one time boot to the USB Thumb Drive (I forgot to get exact wording on this, need to change boot order to USB first)
  8. With USB set to boot next, exit BIOS and let computer boot from USB thumb drive
  9. Go through Windows 10 Setup, when you get to screen on whether to Upgrade or Custom setup tell it custom and “Format” the hard drive
  10. Let it go through the regular install and reboot a couple times
  11. When you get to the final Windows Setup, do not attach to any networks

If you attach to a network, Windows Update will run and install the wrong drivers for some devices

1. Create a local account (even if you want to use an MSA, we need to use a local account for now)
  2. Let Windows finish installing, many things will not work because drivers are not installed, that is OK for now, reboot if prompted.
  3. Boot back into the BIOS (Step 6) and set boot order to the UEFI / EFI or the 32GB drive
  4. Once Windows is done, go to Control Panel / Device Manager and notice quite a few devices with Yellow exclamation points
  5. Right-click on each one of these and choose “Update Driver Software”
  6. Choose “Browse my computer….”
  7. Click the “Browse” button and navigate to the folder on your USB thumb drive where you copied the drivers (make sure “Include subfolders” is checked

Do this over and over on the different Devices that are banged out, some may require a reboot, if that occurs, let it reboot and go back into Device Manager and continue until you have attempted to upgrade all the devices

1. At some point, you will update the “I2C Controller” device, you may have to “force” this driver, to something like I2C E
  2. Not all drivers we have copied to the thumb drive but attempt to update them all from the drivers from 8.1, if you don’t, couple things I noticed:
    1. WU’s audio driver installs but you don’t hear anything
    2. WU’s BMA2x2 Accelerometer driver causes everything to be upside down
    3. WU’s Camera driver makes it so camera doesn’t work
    4. WU’s Goodix touch screen driver doesn’t work
  3. Once you have attempted to install all the devices, you can then attach to a Wireless Network and launch Settings / Windows Update and let WU install anything else that was missing
  4. Go into Settings / Accounts and add your MSA to the machine, log off of your temp account and on with MSA, delete the temp local account

Couple notes:

• You have to use Windows 10 x86 (32-bit). UEFI BIOS on this machine doesn’t’ support x64 (64-bit). Don’t think there are drivers for x64. With 1GB of RAM, x86 uses less memory than x64 so makes more sense.
  • Windows 10 on this tablet works pretty well, kids use these to play simple games, check email, make silly videos, watch videos off the internetz, NetFlix, etc… No power house but works very good for $40.

Good luck and don’t call me if the whole thing falls flat on its face….

Visitor

Re: HowTo - Install fersh copy of Windows 10 on an Insignia Windows Tablet (NS-15MS0832)

Thanks of the great info on a clean install.  When I got into the BIOS there was no option to boot to USB even after a few restarts with the USB drive attached and seen in "This computer". So I restarted with "Shift Restart" to get to the repair options. I tried the "Use a device" and selected USB but that didn't work either, so I selected "Troubleshoot", "Advanced options", "Command Prompt". I changed to the USB drive letter and ran SETUP from there. All the drivers were in the Driverstore folder and now it is working great.  Again thanks for the great advice

Visitor

Re: HowTo - Install fersh copy of Windows 10 on an Insignia Windows Tablet (NS-15MS0832)

i bought one of these little tablets and upgraded it to win 10,  The main reason I wanted it was to install Ubuntu Linux on it. Evereything seemed to go well but when I re-booted it bricked. Now I'm trrying to get Windows back but I wasn't smart enough to save the driver. files. I can  start the installatioin from a USB drive but it askes for the drivers, I tried to get them from your link but it seems you have taken down that link or relocated it. Is it possible I could get a copy of those files? I would greatly appreciate it.

Jim Behling -  jr650b@GMAIL.COM  

Visitor

I sent the .ZIP from my backup but Gmail rejected it because it is a ZIP.  Sent again after renaming to .DOC

Your link for the drivers doen't work any more, can you please send me the drivers.

Thank you

Visitor

You didn't actually post a way to send them to you....

Visitor

Hi Steve! Could you please help me with the files. The link is not functioning. Here is my email 📧 address samgaroger@gmail.com
Visitor

Sent, I don't have this tablet any more so I haven't tested process on RS2 (or Insiders Build RS3).  Should be the same but you never know.

Visitor

I have this same model of tablet NS-15MS0832 but when trying to do fresh install of Windows 10 or 8.1 using the following: USB powered hub (plug into OTG cable) USB Keyboard USB Mouse it keeps apearing " IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". please for your help!
Visitor

You are lacking in details.  Have you booted off the USB drive at this point?  Started setup?  Formatted the drive?  Has it copied the files over and did the first reboot.

If you are unsure, I would sure, I would take the tablet to a technician to help out.  That error code usually indicates a bad driver or hardware is failing.  I don't have my tablet any more so I can't test.