Highlighted

Re: Insignia - 10.1" - Tablet - 32GB will it be upgradable to Nougat android 7 when released?

The tablet's apparently unlocked ROMwise, so although the Intel X3 in the 10.1" tablet could be set by Insignia to follow Intel's Secure Boot to-do, they wisely didn't; and it's as simple as rooting and getting some partition images onto a microSD memory card on the tablet and flashing them over. KingRoot works for rooting (see KingRoot.net for install download and to-do) and Android 5...7.x.x builds for Intel Architecture 64bit (so...not ARM or ARM7 or ARM64) or even OpenBoot can be chosen from.

That is, you're hardly limited to Android builds even if there's no Mobile Windows 10 for it (but you would want a flash-memory aware embedded kernel image build, and RemixOS seems to be one.)

Grab architecture-compatible LineageOS (LineageOS.org) (or other Open Android builds, now that CyanogenMod is no more, as such) plus certainly GApps ( OpenGApps.org ) which give you and the usual Google suite of apps (Play, Notes, Gmail, maybe Hangouts etc.) to start building from.

There are good instructions at https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/rooting-insignia-tablet-nsp10a7100-t3529498 for general method and https://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2015/12/29/installing-oma-rom-on-insignia-flex-elite-7-85/ for a particular path to a maintained OS.

Contributor

Re: Insignia - 10.1" - Tablet - 32GB will it be upgradable to Nougat android 7 when released?

Wifi Connection gets this message because its using an Best buy app called System Update instead of android's System Update, again I hope this information I learned by an app that shows me the full file name of this software.

"Check Failed! Please check your network!"

com.bestbuy.update.UpdateService Update app on my insignia tablet 10.1

I think that the 8" uses the same app, Bestbuy don't tell their buyers that they are disabling the upgrade android feature on these tablets, this app that forces ontop of the default android upgrade app, in its file name you can clearly see the bestbuy name under its full file name "com.bestbuy.update.UpdateService" is the full filename for Update App that runs when you go to about tablet and System Update , it then runs best buys software which you get the message back reading

Please press button to check update online

Perform periodic check for OTA update?

Checking, please wait

"Check Failed! Please check your network!"

"Confirm Button"

it has an icon on the top that is an blue circle with an up arrow in the center, this is the best buy Update App, that you can't remove from this tablet and is why we can't upgrade from android 6.0.1 to 7.1 android or new 8.1 android

my model number is NS-P10A7100 amd has kernel version 3.14.0 , Again Update App or Update.apk shows two under Apps on system app on this tablet one is the default android one, and the blue icon one that gets this error is installed by Best buy I guess since it has the name Bestbuy in the app that fails to let us upgrade these tablets. I hope this information helps users get this problem fix, again I want to be able to upgrade my os android system to the newest stable 7.1 version, I don't care to root this tablet if its not needed, again all I want to do is upgrade it from 6.0.1 to 7.1 android. and maybe also get the android secuity patch level to this year, not stuck on the year 2016 forever etc... again I hope the info helps that the insignia Update app reads that its created by best buy since it seems to have it in the name of the file again "com.bestbuy.update.UpdateService" System Update under About tablet runs this file name default on these tablets it seems.

and Android Secuirty Patch level May 1, 2016 which also is not upgrable yet.