Regular Contributor

Re: Insignia NS-15MS08 Drivers?

If you make as much room on your "C" drive as possible you can successfully upgrade.  Here is the procedure I use before running Windows 10 setup:

1. Uninstall anything listed in PROGRAMS AND FEATURES that you have the ability to reinstall after the upgrade. Do not remove any drivers. Once done, reboot.

2. Delete all files found in the following folders:  C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, C:\WINDOWS\SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION\DOWNLOAD

3. Run two disk cleanups on the "C" drive -- the first just a standard pass, then run another choosing System Files.

Now you can run the upgrade from either an SD card or a USB drive connected with an OTG adapter.

How much free space do you have after the upgrade?  Once upgraded and activated we should be able to do a clean install without activation issues.  At least that"s how it went with my laptop  

Regular Contributor

Windows 10 uses a lot less space than Windows 8; it is remarkably efficient. After doing the upgrade I go through the same clean-up routine as before the process, making sure I select and delete the Previous Operating System files that use consume several gigabytes.  Bear in mind that doing so means you cannot revert to 8.1 except by performing a system recovery.

Once all that is done you should have nearly 9 GB of free space on your 16GB disk. The hidden recovery partition will only be about 500MB.

Visitor

danlshane wrote:

I have had to do exactly that with my tablet. Fortunately I had created a USB recovery drive, so all I had to do was boot from a Windows 8.1 installation USB drive and select to recover the previous installation from the recovery drive. But without that recovery drive you are going to have trouble.

Yep, no recovery drive and trouble is exactly what I have.

There currently seems to be no legit way to go back to Windows 8.1 with Bing unless you have that recovery drive. Microsoft says that's the only way to get it to activate again, but an iso isn't available for the "with Bing" version, Insignia support said I need to take it to a Best Buy Geek Squad member and Geek Squad says they can't do anything about it.

Regular Contributor

I sent you PM that might help.

@danlshane is possible to share your windows 8 usb recovery image. I have the recovery parition. But I am not sure how I can restore it.

Contributor

I am in a similar kind of trouble.How would I use the zip folder toinstall the drivers? I have done a clean install but it keeps asking for a product key. I have a purchased product key for Win 8 which won't work and I am desperate now to the point of just throwing this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Regular Contributor

I sent you a PM.

Regular Contributor

kansub wrote:

I am in a similar kind of trouble.How would I use the zip folder toinstall the drivers? I have done a clean install but it keeps asking for a product key. I have a purchased product key for Win 8 which won't work and I am desperate now to the point of just throwing this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Kansub,

It sounds like you might be attempting a process that is more complex than you are used to. I promise I am not insulting your intelligence -- working at the operating system level can be quite intimidating to those who are not experienced with it. But I will try to help.

Purchased product keys are only good for specific versions of Windows. For instance, the key for Windows 8 Home will not work for Windows 8 Professional. Our tablets come with the free-to-manufacturers Windows 8.1 with Bing, and they can be legally upgraded to Windows 10 Home (32-bit only).  When you perform the upgrade you will be prompted to enter a key, but you can simply choose to skip that step.

When the files are installed and you see the "Welcome Back" prompt you may be asked for a key again. You can also choose to skip that one. A Windows 10 upgrade will always activate on its own once you have been conneccted to the Internet for a few minutes.

As for the drivers, simply unzip the file to your desktop. In the Windows Device Manager look for any items that are labeled "unknown device" and double-click each item. Choose "update driver" and select to install from a location you choose. Browse to the new folder on your desktop where the drivers are. Make sure the box to search in subfolders is checked. Windows should be able to find the correct driver within that folder. Repeat the process for each Unknown Device.

If you need further help let me know.

I do not work for Best Buy, Insignia, CowBoom, or any other company associated with the tablet; I am just as user with a lot of experience with computers.

Thanks to advice from danlshane I installed Windows 10 and so far everything works.  I have the 32GB tablet and a little over 19GB free.