Visitor

Office Mobile

Microsoft provides Office Mobile with core editing for free for tablets 10.1" and below. I have other branded tablets in my home (Acer, Nextbook, RCA) and all of them have core editing enabled. However the Insignia 10.1" that I have asks for an Office 365 subscripton. Given the size and intended use for this tablet, I have no use for an Office 365 subscription. (I have my desktop for that.) Has anyone encountered this problem? Or has anyone have core ediing enabled? MS tech support cannot give me a straight answer. Thanks in advance.

Insignia Support

Re: Office Mobile

Hello mmsumulong,

Thanks for joining our community for some insight into why your Insignia Tablet is asking for an Office 365 subscription. I’d be happy to help you answer your question.

Since your Insignia 10.1” Tablet uses Windows 10 as the operating platform instead of an iOS or Android one a cost would be associated with use of Microsoft Office even you’re just looking to use the core editing capabilities. I’m sorry that Microsoft wasn’t able to articulate that for you. Please let us know if you have any other questions about your Insignia Tab, and we’d be delighted to help you answer them.

Kindly,

Mariah

Insignia™ Support

Regular Contributor

I have Microsoft Excel, Word OneNote and PowerPoint mobile loaded onto my 8" Insignia Windows tablet and have never been asked to subscribe. I think the issue revolves around how Microsoft defines what is a mobile device as well as how it bills for using various services.

If memory serves me, Microsoft deems anything with an 8" or smaller screen to be a mobile device, and, as a result, does not require a user to pay to use mobile versions of Office programs. Devices wth a 10" or larger screen are classified as computers, thus, users as asked to subscribe in ordr to be able to use Office products.

My Microsoft Surface 3 (non-pro) has a 10" screen and I had to either purchase Microsoft Office and own it outright, or, pay for a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. I chose to purchase Office 2016 Home & Business outright for this device (using it to type my reply here).

I Love "FEATURE 00"
Visitor

[ Edited ]

From the website,

View, edit, and create documents with the familiar Office interface optimized for mobile phones and tablets. Core editing is free for consumers on devices with screen sizes of 10.1 inches or less.

{removed per forum guidelines}

As mentioned earlier, our family has 1 Acer, 1 Nextbook, and 1 RCA tablet. All are 10.1" tablets and all have Office Mobile with core editing. And as mentioned in the MS website.10.1 " tablets and below regardless of OS can have Office Mobile with core editing.