Question 1: How do I connect my converter box?

[ Edited ]

You can connect your converter box to your TV using an AV/composite cable (best) or coaxial cable (good). You must connect an antenna to receive over-the-air broadcast television.

AV cable connection (best)

Note: The pass-through feature that allows you to view analog channels will not work if you connect the converter box with an AV (composite) cable. To use the pass-through feature, connect with a coaxial cable or connect both cable types at the same time. See Question 9 for instructions on viewing analog channels.

1. Connect a coaxial cable from your antenna to the RF IN jack on your converter box.
  2. Connect a yellow video cable (not included) from the VIDEO OUT jack on your converter box to the VIDEO IN jack on your TV.
  3. Connect a red and white audio cable (not included) from the AUDIO OUT L/R jack on your converter box to the AUDIO IN L/R jack on your TV.
  4. Plug the AC adapter into the DC IN jack on your converter box and a power outlet.
  5. Turn on your converter box and TV, then select the video source (AV, Video 1, etc.) with the remote control that came with your TV.
  6. Follow the Easy Install wizard to set up your converter box.

AV-Connection.png

Coaxial cable connection (good)

Notes:

• Only one coaxial cable is included. Use the coaxial cable that came with your antenna or purchase a second coaxial cable to connect your converter box.
  • For the best performance, change the Audio Output option on your TV from Mono to Stereo. See your TV’s documentation for instructions.
  1. Connect a coaxial cable from your antenna to the RF IN jack on your converter box.
  2. Connect a second coaxial cable from the RF OUT jack on your converter box to the ANTENNA IN jack on your TV.
  3. Plug the AC adapter into the DC IN jack on your converter box and a power outlet.
  4. Turn on your converter box and TV.
  5. Tune your TV to channel 3. Follow the Easy Install wizard to set up your converter box.
    Note: If channel 3 is used as a broadcast station in your area, change the converter box’s RF Output to channel 4 after the Easy Install wizard is finished. Press MENU on the remote control, select AV Settings > RFM. Press ▲ ▼ to select RF CH-3 or RF CH-4.

Coaxial-Connection.png

Question 2: Can I hook up other devices to my converter box?

• This converter box works only with over-the-air broadcast television signals. It does not work with cable or satellite services.

Question 3: What kind of antenna should I use?

• There is no “one size fits all” when selecting an antenna. Depending on where you live, some antennas will work better than others. When purchasing an antenna, consider if you need:
    • An indoor or outdoor antenna.
    • Reception for both VHF signals (channels 2-13) and UHF signals (channels 14-51).
    • A directional antenna (longer range, but receives signals from just one direction) or multi-directional antenna (receives signals from multiple directions, but is more likely to have interference).
  • Go to http://antennaweb.org/info/antennainfo.aspx for more information about selecting the antenna that will work for your location best.

Question 4: Where should I place my antenna?

[ Edited ]
  • If your antenna receives signals from a single direction (known as “directional” or “uni-directional”) make sure that it is pointing in the direction with the most towers. To locate towers near you, see Question 5.
  • Move the antenna around to find the best location. You must scan for available channels each time you move your antenna. See Question 6 for instructions.
  • If you have an indoor antenna, try placing the antenna near an outside wall or window.
  • If you have an outdoor antenna, mount it on the roof or in the attic of your home.
    Caution: If you install an antenna outside, make sure that it is grounded to provide some protection against voltage surges and built-up static charges. See the safety information in your manual for more information.

Question 5: What channels are available in my area?

• Use the DTV Reception Map on the FCC website to determine what channels are available near you.

Question 6: How do I scan for available channels?

1. Press MENU on the remote control. The Main Menu
  2. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press OK. The Settings menu opens.
  3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Channel Scan, then press OK. The converter box scans for available channels.
  4. Press MENU to exit the on-screen menu when you are finished.

Question 7: What should I do if channels are missing that I could view before?

[ Edited ]
  • If you would like to view an analog TV station, see Question 9 for more information.
  • Some household electronics (such as cordless phones or fluorescent lighting) may interfere with your antenna’s reception. Move the devices that may cause interference farther away from your antenna.
  • If a signal is too weak, the picture may disappear. Check the antenna signal strength by pressing MENU, select Settings, then Antenna.
  • Adjust your antenna, then scan for available channels. See Question 6 for instructions.
  • Make sure that your antenna is not broken or damaged.

Question 8: How do I skip a channel that I no longer want to receive?

Note: The skip feature may not be available on all converter boxes.

1. Press MENU, then select Program List.
  2. Use ▲ or ▼ to select the channel you want to skip, then press 0 on your remote. The channel information is shown.
  3. Press 0 “SKIP” appears next to the channel and you will no longer receive that channel.
    Note: Press 0 again if you want to view the channel again.

Question 9: How do I view an analog channel while connected to the converter box?

If you live in an area where some TV stations (such as low-power, translator, or Class A stations) are still broadcasting analog signals, your TV can receive these channels by using the analog pass-through feature of your converter box.

1. Use a coaxial cable to connect your converter box to your TV.
    Note: The pass-through feature will not work if you connect the converter box with an AV (composite) cable. However, you can connect both cable types at the same time.
  2. Press the PASS-THROUGH button on the remote control to turn on the pass-through function. Note: The LED lights red when pass-through is turned on and green when pass-through is turned off.
  3. Change the channels on your TV using the TV’s remote control to tune to the analog channel you want.