Insignia Support

Insignia™ Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi and 1080p Output FAQ

[ Edited ]

These are the official Insignia FAQs. Keep in mind that some FAQs may apply to specific models.

If you cannot find a feature mentioned in the FAQs, make sure that feature is available in your product by checking the Product Specifications and User's Manual.

If you would like to request a specific FAQ please leave us a comment in the Suggest an FAQ board.

FAQs:

How do I setup my player?

I am programming my universal remote, what code is needed?

How do I connect my player to the Internet?

My player will not connect wirelessly to the Internet.

I am a Verizon FIOS customer and cannot connect my player to the FIOS wireless network.

The BD-Live feature continues to hang on my compatible Blu-ray discs.

My player will not connect to the Internet at all.

I am unable to download the firmware or software. (Firmware is also often referred to as software.)

What does the firmware update do?

When is new firmware available?

I receive an internal error message when trying to update my firmware.

Where can I find basic specifications or information on my player?

Does 24p playback on my player work with standard DVDs?

My player keeps showing a connecting/disconnecting message while I am watching Blu-rays or DVDs. How...

My player stops playing half-way through an MKV file.

My audio keeps going in and out.

My picture flickers when I use 1080p resolution over an HDMI connection with my player.

I see snow when I attempt to fast-forward movies or change menus using an HDMI connection.

How do I connect to Netflix?

My player is stuck on Netflix’s Instant Queue. I am unable to navigate Netflix but I am able to exit...

I have setup parental controls on my player but I am still able to watch any movie from Netflix.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

Do you need help selecting the best connection?

• To get the best digital audio and picture, use an HDMI connection.
• Component is the 2nd best followed by A/V cables (RCA Cables, Composite Cables).

What type of cable are you using?

HDMI Cable
• Connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI jack on the back of your player and to the HDMI IN jack on the TV.

Component Video Cables are red, green and blue. The audio cables are red and white.
• Connect a component video cable to the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks on the back of your player and to the COMPONENT IN jacks on the TV.

A/V Cables (RCA Cables, Composite Cables) have a yellow video connectors, and red and white audio connectors.
• Connect A/V cables to the VIDEO OUT and AUDIO OUT L/R jacks on the back of your player and to the VIDEO IN and AUDIO IN L/R jacks on the TV.

To setup an Internet connection, please refer to Question 3

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

Since your player has the newest codeset, some universal remotes will not include codes. You can use a learning type remote control to copy the codes from your player’s remote control to the learning remote control. In the future, we expect new universal remotes to start using this new Insignia Blu-ray codeset.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

Have you updated the firmware on your player?

• If yes, then use the following steps to setup your Internet connection:

To connect wired to a router:

1. Connect an Ethernet cable (CAT5 or better with RJ45 connector) to the ETHERNET jack on the back of your player and to an Ethernet jack on your router.
2. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings.
3. Press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.
4. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network. The Network menu opens.
5. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wired, then press ENTER. The IP Settings screen opens.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Mode, then press ENTER.
7. Press ► to select an IP mode, then press ENTER. You can choose:
 • Off – Disables the network interface.
 • Manual – Lets you manually configure network settings, such as IP address, subnet mask, and gateway settings.
 • Dynamic – Uses DHCP to automatically obtain an IP address. NOTE: This mode is the mode that is most often used.
8. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Apply, then press ENTER.
9. Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

To connect wirelessly to a router or access point using DHCP:

1. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings.
2. Press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.
3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network.
4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wireless, then press ENTER. A list of wireless options opens.
5. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network List. The list of available networks opens.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select a network, then press ENTER.
7. If your network is not using encryption or you have successfully logged onto the network before, follow these steps:
  a. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. If the wireless network is working, you should see a checkmark and a connected message on the TV. If the message does not appear, your player is not connected. Repeat the connection to a wireless network using DHCP steps.
  b. Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

OR

If your network is using encryption, follow these steps:

a. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the Password field, then press ENTER. An on-screen keyboard appears.
b. Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or ► to select the first letter in the password, then press ENTER. Repeat this step to enter the rest of the password. If you make a mistake, use backspace key to delete the character.
c. After you enter the password, select the circled X in the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard, then press ENTER to close the keyboard.
d. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. If the wireless network is working, you should see a checkmark and a connected message on the TV. If the message does not appear, your player is not connected. Repeat the connection to a wireless network steps.
e. Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

OR

To connect wirelessly to a wireless network using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup):

1.Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings.
2.Press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.
3.Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network.
4.Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wireless, then press ENTER. A list of wireless options opens.
5.Press ▲ or ▼ to select WiFi Protected Setup, then press ENTER. A screen will appear asking you to press the button on your router.
6.Press the button on top of your router.
7.A screen should appear on your TV that says “Success” when your player is connected to the router.
8.Press ENTER to close the message.
9.Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

• If no, then use the following steps to setup your Internet connection:

To connect wired to a router:

1.Connect an Ethernet cable (CAT5 or better with RJ45 connector) to the ETHERNET jack on the back of your player and to an Ethernet jack on your router.
2.Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings.
3.Press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.
4.Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network. The Network menu opens.
5.Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wired, then press ENTER. The IP Settings screen opens.
6.Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Mode, then press ENTER.
7.Press ► to select an IP mode, then press ENTER. You can choose:
  • Off – Disables the network interface.
  • Manual – Lets you manually configure network settings, such as IP address, subnet mask, and gateway settings.
  • Dynamic – Uses DHCP to automatically obtain an IP address. NOTE: This mode is the mode that is most often used.
8. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Apply, then press ENTER.
9. Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

To connect wirelessly to a wireless network using DHCP:

3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network. The Network menu opens.
4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wireless, then press ENTER. A list of network options opens.
5. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network List, then press ENTER. The Network List opens and shows the available networks. It may take several seconds for this list to appear.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select a network, then press ENTER. A list of options opens.
7. If your network is not using encryption or you have successfully logged onto the network before, follow these steps:
a. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. If the wireless network is working, you should see a checkmark and a connected message on the TV. If the message does not appear, your player is not connected. Repeat the connection to a wireless network using DHCP steps.

OR

If your network is using encryption, follow these steps:

a. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Edit, then press ENTER. An edit screen opens. The AdHoc and Name fields are already set correctly based on data received from the wireless router.
b. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the Encryption field, then press ENTER. A list of encryption types opens.
c. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the type of encryption used by your router, then press ENTER. The edit screen reopens. (**NOTE: If you do not know what type of encryption your router uses, log on to your router and check the encryption setup. See the router manual for instructions on how to do this.)
d. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the Password field, then press ENTER. An on-screen keyboard appears.
e. Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or ► to select the first letter in the password, then press ENTER. Repeat this step to enter the rest of the password. If you make a mistake, use backspace key to delete the character.
f. After you enter the password, select the circled X in the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard, then press ENTER to close the keyboard.
g. Press ▼ to select OK, then press ENTER. The Network List reopens.
h. If necessary, press ▲ or ▼ to select the network again, then press ENTER. The option list reopens.
i. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. If the wireless network is working, you should see a checkmark and a connected message on the TV. If the message does not appear, your player is not connected. Repeat the connection to a wireless network using DHCP steps.

OR

To connect wirelessly to a wireless network using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup):

4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Wireless, then press ENTER. A list of network options opens.
5. Press ▲ or ▼ to select WiFi Protected Setup, then press ENTER. A screen will appear asking you to press the button on your router.
6. Press the button on top of your router.
7. A screen should appear on your TV that says “Success” when your player is connected to the router.
8. Press ENTER to close the message.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

• Make sure your player is within the range of your router.
• Make sure your password is entered correctly on your player.
• Try setting up your player in the same room as your router. Once it is connected, move the player to the desired location and try connecting to the Internet.
  • If the player does not connect, your player is too far away from your router.
• Make sure the desired WIFI network is selected.

• Try setting up your wireless connection manually. You will need the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS information from your router before you begin this process.

5. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Settings. The IP Settings menu opens.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Mode, then press ENTER. A list of IP Modes opens.
7. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Manual, then press ENTER.
8. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Address, then press ENTER. The IP Address menu opens.
9. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the IP Address, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
10. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Subnet Mask, then press ENTER. The Subnet Mask menu opens.
11. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Subnet Mask, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
12. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Gateway, then press ENTER. The Gateway menu opens.
13. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Gateway, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
14. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Primary DNS, then press ENTER. The Primary DNS menu opens.
15. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Primary DNS, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
16. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Secondary DNS, then press ENTER. The Secondary DNS menu opens.
17. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Secondary DNS, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
18. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Apply, then press ENTER.
19. A screen should appear on your TV that says “Success” when your player is connected to the router.
20. Press ENTER to close the message.

• It is possible you may need to manually enter your DNS addresses. You will need to get the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS information from your router.

5. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Settings. The IP Settings menu opens.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Mode, then press ENTER. A list of IP Modes opens.
7. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Manual, then press ENTER.
8. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Primary DNS, then press ENTER. The Primary DNS menu opens.
9. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Primary DNS, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
10. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Secondary DNS, then press ENTER. The Secondary DNS menu opens.
11. Use the number keypad on your remote to enter the Secondary DNS, press ▲ or ▼ to select Ok, then press ENTER.
12. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Apply, then press ENTER.
13. A screen should appear on your TV that says “Success” when your player is connected to the router.
14. Press ENTER to close the message.

Insignia Support

I am a Verizon FIOS customer and cannot connect my player to the FIOS wireless network.

[ Edited ]

• If you are using a Verizon Fios Router, the default settings are set to Open Keys with WEP encryption. The player only works with Shared Keys.
  1. Change the router to Shared Keys setting. Refer to the manual that came with your router on how to do this.
  2. Power off the router for 5 seconds and power it back on.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

• Make sure BD-Live is setup correctly on your player.

To set the BD-Live Internet access level:

3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select System. The System menu opens.
4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select BD-Live Internet Access, then press ENTER.
5. Press ► to select the access level you want. You can select:
  • Limit Access – Allows Internet access with valid “BD-Live” network access approval.
  • Always Allow Access – Always allows BD-Live Internet access.
  • Prohibit Access – Never allows BD-Live Internet access.
6. Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

• You will also need to connect a USB 2.0 flash drive, formatted FAT32 and no larger than 1GB, to the USB port on the back of your player as your player has limited internal BD-Live storage space.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

You will need to run a Network Test.
3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network, then press ENTER.
4. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network Test, then press ENTER. The Network Test will begin.
5. The Network Test will run three tests.

a. Local Network Test

• If this test fails, you need to check your connection to your home network.

If you have a wired connection:

• Make sure your network cable is securely attached to your router and your player.
  • Make sure your router is connected to your cable or DSL modem correctly.

If you have a wireless connection:

• Make sure your player is within the range of your router.
  • Make sure the desired WIFI network is selected.
  • If you have a security password, be sure you have entered the password correctly.
      • If further help is need for setting up security and obtaining your security password, contact your router manufacturer and/or cable or DSL modem manufacturer.

b. DNS Sever Test

If this test fails, there may be an issue with your internet service provider.

• Contact your internet service provider for more help.

c. Internet Connection Test

If this test fails, there may be an issue with your internet service provider.

• Contact your internet service provider for more help.

Insignia Support

I am unable to download the firmware or software. (Firmware is also often referred to as software.)

[ Edited ]

• You are only able to download new firmware or software when a new version is available on the Internet. A message box will appear in the lower right corner of the main menu telling you a new version is available.

• Is your player connected to the Internet?

Yes:

Make sure your Internet connection is active.

3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network. The Network Settings screen opens.
a. If you are connected to the Internet, Link Up appears next to Link Status. If you are not connected to the Internet, Link Down appears next to Link Status.

• If you are not connected, please refer to Question #1 to guide you through setting up an Internet connection.

To download the firmware update using your player’s Internet connection:

4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Update Via Network, then press ENTER.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions for updating the firmware.

No:

• You can either download the update to a USB flash drive or connect to the Internet.
– To download the update to a USB flash drive: NOTE: You will need a USB 2.0 flash drive formatted FAT32 with at least 100 MB of free space.
1. Go to: http://insigniaproducts.com/products/dvd-players-recorders/NS-WBRDVD.html
2. Under the picture of the Blu-ray player, click on the Support tab.
3. Insert a USB flash drive into an open USB port on your computer.
4. Download firmware; if a pop-up window opens telling you to open, save, or cancel, click Save and save the file to your USB flash drive. (**Note: File size is approximately47 MB. Estimated download time is 4-5 minutes over a broadband connection.)
5. After saving the firmware to your USB flash drive; remove the USB flash drive from your computer.
6. Now take the USB flash drive to your player. Eject any discs that may be in the player, and remove any USB flash drive already inserted in your player.
7. Turn your player off; insert the USB flash drive containing the firmware that was downloaded into the player’s USB port.
8. Turn your player on.
9. After a few minutes, a screen should appear asking if 8
you would like to proceed with the update.
10. Using your remote, make sure the OK button is highlighted and press ENTER. The firmware(software) update will begin. DO NOT TURN THE POWER OFF DURING THE UPDATE!
11. Once the update has completed, a screen should appear asking you to remove the USB flash drive from your player.
12. Remove the USB flash drive from your player.
13. Your player will restart after removing the USB flash drive. (**NOTE: It is recommended that you erase or delete the update file from the USB flash drive using your computer before you use it again.)

–You can connect your player to the Internet either wired or wirelessly. Please refer to Question #1 to guide you through setting up an Internet connection.

• Once you are connected to the Internet you can download the firmware using your player.

4. Press ►, press ▲ or ▼ to select Update Via Network, then press ENTER.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions for updating the firmware.

Insignia Support

[ Edited ]

•The firmware updates are to improve player performance and add features. For example, the Netflix application or similar applications can be added during a firmware update.

•To find more information about the what the firmware fixes, go to the Insignia website: http://insigniaproducts.com/products/dvd-players-recorders/NS-WBRDVD.html