FAQ-INSG

Insignia Wireless Connected Blu-ray Disc Player (NS-WBRDVD2)

[ Edited ]

1: How do I setup my player?

2: I am programming my universal remote, what code is needed?

3: How do I connect my player to the Internet?  

4: My player will not connect wirelessly to the Internet.

5: The BD-Live feature continues to hang on my compatible Blu-ray discs.

6: My player will not connect to the Internet at all.

7: I am experiencing issues with the streaming services (e.g., Netflix, CinemaNow). The connection i...

8: What does the firmware update do?

9: I am unable to download the firmware or software. (Firmware is also often referred to as software...

10: When is new firmware available?

11: I receive an internal error message when trying to update my firmware.

12: Where can I find basic specifications or information on my player?

13: Does 24p playback on my player work with standard DVDs?

14: My player keeps showing a connecting/disconnecting message while I am watching Blu-rays or DVDs....

15: My player will not play any type of disc.

16: My player is not working at all.

17: My player stops playing half-way through an MKV file.

18: My audio keeps going in and out.

19: My picture flickers when I use 1080p resolution over an HDMI connection with my player.

20: I see snow when I attempt to fast-forward movies or change menus using an HDMI connection.

21: How do I adjust the resolution of my player?

22: How do I connect to Netflix?

23: My player is stuck on Netflix’s Instant Queue. I am unable to navigate Netflix but I am able to ...

24: I have setup parental controls on my player but I am still able to watch any movie from Netflix.

25: How do I connect to CinemaNow?

26: I have setup parental controls on my player but I am still able to watch any move from CinemaNow...

27: How do I connect to Pandora?

FAQ-INSG

1: How do I setup my player?

• Do you need help selecting the best connection?

o        To get the best digital audio and picture, use an HDMI connection.

o        Component is the 2nd best followed by A/V cables (RCA Cables, Composite Cables).

• What type of cable are you using?

o        HDMI Cable

§         Connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT jack on the back of your player and to the HDMI IN jack on the TV.

o        Component Video Cables are red, green and blue.  The audio cables are red and white.

§         Connect a component video cable to the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks on the back of your player and to the COMPONENT IN jacks on the TV.

o        A/V Cables (RCA Cables, Composite Cables) have a yellow video connectors, and red and white audio connectors.

§         Connect A/V cables to the VIDEO OUT and AUDIO OUT L/R jacks on the back of your player and to the VIDEO IN and AUDIO IN L/R jacks on the TV.

• To setup an Internet connection, please refer to Question 3 on page 2.

FAQ-INSG

2: I am programming my universal remote, what code is needed?

·         Every universal remote control uses a unique code for each device it can control. To find the unique code that works for your Insignia Blu-ray player, refer to the documentation included with your universal remote control.

o        Typically, this information is provided in a table of codes for each device. For example, under Blu-ray players, look for the Insignia brand for the code that controls the Insignia Blu-ray players.

o        Most universal remote controls have a limited amount of memory space to store information for all devices. Please check the universal remote documentation for compatibility before buying.

FAQ-INSG

3: How do I connect my player to the Internet?

[ Edited ]
    • To connect to the Internet using a wireless connection:

1.       Set up your access point or wireless router (if not already set up). Save your SSID and passkey information in a safe location for future reference.

2.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.

3.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network, then press ENTER. The Wireless Settings screen opens.

4.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network List, then press ENTER. The Network List screen opens, showing a list of available wireless networks.

5.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select the wireless network you want your player to connect to, then press ENTER. A Network Setup screen opens  with the following options:

§         Password

§         Connect

§         Delete

§         Cancel

6.       If your network does not use encryption, press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. If the wireless network is working, you should see a checkmark and a connected message on the TV. If the message does not appear, repeat the steps above.

7.       Press to go to the previous menu.

OR

If your network uses encryption:

1.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select the Password field, then press ENTER. An on-screen keyboard opens.

2.       Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or ► to select the first letter in the password, then press ENTER. Repeat this step to enter the rest of the password. If you make a mistake, use the backspace key to delete the character.

3.       After you enter your password, select Done in the upper left-hand corner of the keyboard, then press ENTER to close the keyboard.

4.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Connect, then press ENTER. A connected message appears.

5.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Close, then press ENTER. If the message says the connection was not a success, repeat the steps above.

6.       Press to go to the previous menu.

• To connect to the Internet wirelessly using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup):

1.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.

2.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network, then press ENTER. The Wireless Settings screen opens.

3.       Press or to select WiFi Protected Setup (WPS), then press ENTER. A screen will appear asking you to press the button on your router.

4.       Press the button on top of your router. A screen should appear on your TV that says “Success” when your player is connected to the router.

5.       Press ENTER to close the message.

6.       Press to go to the previous menu.

• To connect to the Internet using a wired connection:

1.       Connect a network cable to the ETHERNET jack on the back of your player and into a wired router using a commercially available LAN or Ethernet cable (Cat 5 or better, with RJ45 connectors).

2.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.

3.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network, then press ENTER.The IP Settings screen opens.

4.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select IP Mode, then press ENTER.

5.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select an IP Mode. You can select:

§         Dynamic – Uses DHCP to automatically obtain an IP address. NOTE: This mode is the mode that is most often used.

§         Manual – Lets you manually configure network settings, such as IP address, subnet mask, and gateway settings.

6.       Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or ► to select Apply, then press ENTER. A Network Test automatically runs.

7.       If the connection is established, select OK, then press ENTER to close the screen.

8.       Press ◄ to go to the previous menu.

FAQ-INSG

4: My player will not connect wirelessly to the Internet.

• Make sure your player is within the range of your router.

• Make sure your password is entered correctly on your player.

• Try setting up your player in the same room as your router. Once it is connected, move the player to the desired location and try connecting to the Internet.

o        If the player does not connect, your player is too far away from your router.

• Make sure the desired Wi-Fi network is selected.

• Try setting up your wireless connection manually. You will need the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS information from your router before you begin this process.

1.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.

2.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Network, then press ENTER. The Wireless Settings screen opens.

3.       Press or to select Manual, then press ENTER. A Manual screen opens.

4.       Enter network names, passwords, and so on, then select Connect and press ENTER. NOTE: If the password you are entering contains letters, press ENTER and a small keyboard will open on the screen.

5.       Press or to select IP Settings, then press ENTER. The IP Settings menu opens.

6.       Make changes to the IP and other parameters as appropriate.

FAQ-INSG

5: The BD-Live feature continues to hang on my compatible Blu-ray discs.

• Make sure BD-Live is setup correctly on your player.

o        To set the BD-Live Internet access level:

2.       Press or to select BD-Live, then press ENTER. The BD-Live menu opens.

3.       Press or to select BD-Live Internet Access, then press ENTER.

4.       Press or one or more times to select the access level you want, then press ENTER. You can select:

·         Limit Access – Allows Internet access with valid “BD-Live” network access approval.

·         Always Allow Access – Always allows BD-Live Internet access.

·         Prohibit Access – Never allows BD-Live Internet access.

5.       Press to go to the previous menu.

6.       Insert a USB memory stick into the USB port on the front of your player as your player has limited internal BD-Live storage space.

·         The USB memory stick must be USB 2.0, formatted FAT32, and at least 1GB.

FAQ-INSG

6: My player will not connect to the Internet at all.

·         You will need to run a Network Test.

2.       Press or to select Network, then press ENTER. The Wireless Settings screen opens.

3.       Press or to select Network Test, then press ENTER. The Network Test will begin.

4.       The Network Test will run three tests.

a.       Local Network Test

§         If this test fails, you need to check your connection to your home network.

·         If you have a wired connection:

o        Make sure your network cable is securely attached to your router and your player.

o        Make sure your router is connected to your cable or DSL modem correctly.

·         If you have a wireless connection:

o        Make sure your router is connected to your cable or DSL modem correctly.

o        Make sure your player is within the range of your router.

o        Make sure the desired WIFI network is selected.

o        If you have a security password, be sure you have entered the password correctly.

§         If further help is need for setting up security and obtaining your security password, contact your router manufacturer and/or cable or DSL modem manufacturer.

b.      DNS Sever Test

§         If this test fails, there may be an issue with your Internet service provider.

·         Make sure your router is connected to your cable or DSL modem correctly.

·         Contact your Internet service provider for more help.

c.       Internet Connection Test

§         If this test fails, there may be an issue with your Internet service provider.

·         Make sure your router is connected to your cable or DSL modem correctly.

·         Contact your Internet service provider for more help.

FAQ-INSG

7: I am experiencing issues with the streaming services (e.g., Netflix, CinemaNow). The connection is slow, low quality, pixilated, etc.

·         In order for streaming services to provide an enjoyable experience a minimum bandwidth (Internet speed) is required. This bandwidth requirement varies between streaming services. Music streaming requires a smaller bandwidth, whereas HD movie streaming requires a larger bandwidth.

·         To check for available bandwidth it is recommended to use a computer and access one of the many Internet speed testing services. For example, www.speedtest.net.

o        If the result of the speed test is adequate for the streaming service recommendations, the issue may be related to something else, such as your Internet service provider servers.

FAQ-INSG

8: What does the firmware update do?

• The firmware updates are to improve player performance and add features. For example, the Netflix application or similar applications can be added during a firmware update.

• To find more information about what the firmware fixes, go to the Insignia website: http://insigniaproducts.com/products/dvd-players-recorders/NS-WBRDVD2.html. Click the Support/Downloads tab and you will find more information about the firmware update under the heading Drivers, Firmware and Software.

FAQ-INSG

9: I am unable to download the firmware or software. (Firmware is also often referred to as software.)

• You are only able to download new firmware or software when a new version is available on the Internet.

• There are three ways to update your player’s firmware: automatic upgrades over the Internet, using a disc or USB stick, or using your network connection.

1.       Upgrading the player with automatic upgrades over the Internet:

a.       If an update is available, a message will appear whenever the Settings menu is selected on the player.

b.      Press the red button to install the updates.

c.       Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or to highlight OK, then press ENTER. The updates will begin downloading and a status bar appears on the TV screen.

d.      Once the updates are complete, a message will appear indicating that the player will turn itself off and on.

2.       Upgrading the player with a disc or USB stick:

a.       Go to http://insigniaproducts.com/products/dvd-players-recorders/NS-WBRDVD2.html

b.      Click the Support/Downloads tab and you will find the firmware file to download under the heading Drivers, Firmware and Software.

c.       To create an update disc:

1.       Download the firmware upgrade .iso file to your computer.

2.       Copy the .iso file directly to a data CD or DVD, then finalize the disc.

OR

Use commercial software, such as Nero™, to burn the .iso file onto a disc.

OR

To create an update USB stick:

1.       Download the firmware upgrade .iso file directly to the root directory of a USB memory stick connected to your computer.

d.      Eject any discs that may be in the player and remove any USB sticks already inserted in the player.

e.       Turn the player off. If using an upgrade USB stick, insert the USB memory stick into the player’s USB slot.

f.        Turn the player back on. If you are using an upgrade disc, open the tray and insert the update disc.

g.      After a short period of time, a screen will appear. Press ▲, ▼, ◄, or to highlight OK, then press ENTER. The software update begins. During the software update, a timer counts down the approximate number of minutes and seconds remaining for the update.

h.       Once the update is complete is complete, a screen appears. If you used a CD for the update, eject the disc, and then throw it away. If you used an update USB memory stick, power down the player, and then erase any update .iso files placed on the root directory of the USB memory stick before using it again.

3.       Upgrading the player using your network connection.

a.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Settings, then press ENTER. The Settings menu opens.

b.      Press ▲ or ▼ to select System, then press ENTER. The System menu opens.

c.       Press ▲ or ▼ to select Update Via Network, then press ENTER.

1.       If an update is available, follow the on-screen instructions.

OR

If an update is not available, a screen will appear saying, No Update Available. Press ENTER to close the message. The main menu will appear.