Insignia Support

Insignia NS-DXA1 Digital-to-Analog Converter Box

[ Edited ]
Insignia Support

Why am I receiving the error message “No Signal?”

[ Edited ]

Why am I receiving the error message “No Signal?”

• The converter box does not work with cable, satellite, or other pay television providers.
• Check all of your connections to be sure they are securely connected.
• If your converter box is connected to an antenna, the signal strength of the channel may be low. You can check the signal strength by pressing the SIGNAL button on the converter’s remote.
• The UHF band (channels 14 and higher) is more directional than VHF (channels 2-13) and more sensitive to obstacles (such as trees, tall buildings, and mountains) that lie between your antenna and the broadcast tower. Getting good UHF reception can be more difficult than VHF.
• If you're getting marginal reception of digital signals, both the picture and sound might freeze or break up to the point that it's not watchable. If you're really on the fringes—either too far from a tower or with too many obstacles in the way—you'll see a black screen that says "Weak or no signal."
• Reception can vary by channel, depending on the location and broadcast power level of a given station.
• Make sure your antenna is connected securely to both the converter box and the TV.
• Move the antenna around the room or close to a window.
• Use a basic indoor set-top antenna designed to pick up both VHF and UHF, a set-top antenna that has a built-in signal amplifier, or an antenna mounted on your roof or in your attic. For more information about antennas and the available channels in your area, visit www.antennaweb.org.

Message Edited by Insignia-Admin on 03-10-2009 10:36 AM
Insignia Support

How do I make all of the connections for my converter box?

[ Edited ]

How do I make all of the connections for my converter box?

1. Disconnect the coaxial cable from the Antenna IN jack on the back of the TV.
2. Connect the coaxial cable to the From Antenna jack on the back of your converter box.
3. Connect the supplied audio cable to the R AUDIO and L AUDIO jacks on the back of your converter box, connect the supplied video cable to the VIDEO jack on the back of your converter box, then connect the other ends of the cables to the corresponding jacks on the back of the TV. This connection provides the best picture and sound.
OR
Connect the supplied coaxial cable to the To TV(RF) jack on the back of your converter box, then connect the other end of the cable to the Antenna IN jack of the TV. For best performance with this connection, change the Audio Output option to Mono.
4. Plug the power cord into a power outlet or surge protector. The light on the box turns red.
5. Turn on the TV and set the TV to the appropriate video source if you use the audio and video cables (composite cables) to connect your converter box to the TV.
OR
Tune the TV to channel 3 if you used the coaxial cable to connect your converter.

Insignia Support

How do I set up my converter box?

[ Edited ]

How do I set up my converter box?

1. Turn on your converter box. The LED on the box turns blue.
2. Press ► on the remote control.
3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select your language, then press ►.
4. Press ▲ or ▼ to select your TV aspect ratio, then press ►.
5. Press to start the channel search. When the search is complete, press ►.
6. Press ▲ or ▼ to select your time zone, then press ►.
7. Press to complete the setup.

Insignia Support

Can I hook up other devices to my converter box?

[ Edited ]

Can I hook up other devices to my converter box?

• You can connect your converter box to a video device, such as a VCR or DVD player, then connect the VCR or DVD player to the TV.

1. Disconnect the coaxial cable from the antenna connection to the video device, if connected.
2. Connect the coaxial cable from the antenna connection to the From Antenna jack on the back of your converter box.
3. Connect the supplied audio cable to the R AUDIO and L AUDIO jacks on the back of your converter box, connect the supplied video cable to the VIDEO jack on the back of your converter box, then connect the other ends of the cables to the corresponding jacks on the back of the video device.
4. Depending on the type of AV jacks on the video device and the TV, connect the Audio and Video OUT jacks on the video device to the Audio IN and Video IN jacks on the TV.
5. Plug the power cord into a power outlet or surge protector. The light on the box turns red.
6. Turn on the TV and set the TV to the appropriate video source. (For more information see the TV's documentation.

Note: If you have a VCR connected to the TV to record TV programs, you must set the channel on the converter box to the TV channel you want to record. If you have programmed recordings set up, you must set the channel on the converter box to the TV channel for the programmed recording before the start of each recording session.

Insignia Support

Why are some of my channels missing that I could view previously?

[ Edited ]

Why are some of my channels missing that I could view previously?

• This converter box does not have analog pass-through capability.
• With the converter box you can view digital channels however it is possible to still view analog channels. To view the digital channels the converter box must be powered on. To view analog channels the converter box must be off and the coaxial cable must be disconnected from the From Antenna jack on the converter box and reconnected to the Antenna In jack on the TV.

OR
• You can purchase an antenna splitter and/or an antenna A/B switch and make some additional connections to continue viewing the analog stations. See your local retailer for more information on this option.
OR
• A new converter box that allows you to view both digital and analog channels, the NS-DXA1-APT with analog pass-through, will soon be on the market.

• The channels you receive may depend upon the signal strength sent by the TV station, the type of antenna you're using, or the location of your antenna. It is also possible that the stations have not changed from an analog signal to a digital signal.
• Most analog stations are in the VHF band, channels 2-13, while digital signals are transmitted mainly over the UHF band, 14 and higher. (However, digital stations in some areas may move to the VHF band next February, when analog channels vacate their station frequencies.) The UHF band is more directional than VHF and more sensitive to obstacles (such as trees, tall buildings, and mountains) that lie between your antenna and the broadcast tower. So getting good UHF reception can be more difficult than pulling in VHF, affecting your ability to get digital broadcasts.

Note: The all-or-nothing nature of digital broadcasts also comes into play. If you're getting marginal reception of digital signals, both the picture and sound might freeze or break up to the point that it's not watchable. If you're really on the fringes-either too far from a tower or with too many obstacles in the way-you'll see a black screen that says "Weak or no signal."

Insignia Support

My remote will not turn on or shut off my TV

[ Edited ]

My remote will not turn on or shut off my TV.

• You must program the converter box remote in order to control your TV power button.

To program the remote control:

1. Determine if the TV is a model that can be controlled by the remote control. See "Controllable TV brands" on page 17 in the manual.
2. Turn on the TV.
3. While you press and hold TV POWER on the remote control, press CH ▲ or CH ▼ one or more times until the TV turns off. Each time you press one of these buttons, the remote control sends a manufacturer code (between 1 and 45) to the TV.

Insignia Support

How does a converter box work? What does it do?

[ Edited ]

How does a converter box work? What does it do?

• The TV broadcasting industry is in the process of converting from analog signals to digital signals. The conversion will be complete by June 2009. A digital TV signal transmits more data than an analog signal. This increase in data provides a better picture and sound with less static and interference.
• If you use an outside antenna and have an older (analog) TV, you will not be able to receive TV signals after the conversion to digital signals is complete.
• To receive digital signals on an analog TV, you need a converter box. Your converter box receives the digital signal from the antenna, and then converts the digital signal so your analog TV can display the picture and play the sound.

• For more information about the transition to digital TV signals, visit www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html / http://www.digitaltips.org/ / http://www.dtvtransition.org/ / http://www.dtvanswers.com/

Insignia Support

Why is my remote not working?

[ Edited ]

Why is my remote not working?

• The supplied battery is wrapped tightly in clear plastic. Have you removed the plastic from the battery before you installed it?
• Is the battery installed correctly?

1. Remove the battery compartment cover on the back of the remote control.
2. Insert one AAA battery into the battery compartment. Make sure that the + and - on the battery align with the + and - in the battery compartment.
3. Replace the battery compartment cover.

• Point the remote control at the directly at the remote sensor on your converter box.
• Operate the remote control within 23 feet (7 meters) of the remote sensor.
• Remove any obstacles between the remote control and the remote sensor.

• Replace any dead batteries with new ones.

Insignia Support

Why do I have poor picture quality?

[ Edited ]

Why do I have poor picture quality?

• The signal strength of the channel may be low. Check signal strength of the channel by pressing the SIGNAL button on the remote.
• The UHF band (channels 14 and higher) is more directional than VHF (channels 2-13) and more sensitive to obstacles (such as trees, tall buildings, and mountains) that lie between your antenna and the broadcast tower. Getting good UHF reception can be more difficult than VHF.
• If you're getting marginal reception of digital signals, both the picture and sound might freeze or break up to the point that it's not watchable. If you're really on the fringes-either too far from a tower or with too many obstacles in the way-you'll see a black screen that says "Weak or no signal."
• Reception can vary by channel, depending on the location and broadcast power level of a given station.
• Make sure your antenna is connected securely to both the converter box and the TV.
• Move the antenna around the room or close to a window.

• Use a basic indoor set-top antenna designed to pick up both VHF and UHF, a set-top antenna that has a built-in signal amplifier, or an antenna mounted on your roof or in your attic. For more information about antennas and the available channels in your area, visit http://www.antennaweb.org./