Insignia Support

21. How do I setup my GPS?

[ Edited ]

• Have you tried using your quick setup guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed please follow the steps below.
  • Fully charge the GPS battery before using it for the first time. It takes approximately 3 hours to fully charge the battery.
  • Getting Started:
  • Using your GPS

1. Turn on the GPS. A splash screen appears for a few seconds, then the Safety Warning appears. Be sure you understand these warnings.
  2. To continue on to the device features, touch I Agree at the bottom right of the screen. The Main menu appears.

• Using the Home screen
    • From the Main menu you can see where you are, find a route to a place of interest, or change settings.

–         To see where you are, touch Map.

OR

To find a route:

1. Touch Go to. The Go to menu opens.
  2. Touch Address. A keypad opens.
  3. Enter an address. The GPS automatically calculates the best route choice to direct you to that address.

OR

To change settings, touch the Settings icon at the top right corner of the screen.

OR

To look up directions and phone numbers to restaurants, theaters, public services, etc., touch Google Search.

OR

To use the subscription services Traffic Alerts, Gas Buddy, and Twitter, touch Net Apps.

• Using the Go To Menu
    • Go Home – touch to calculate a route to your home address from wherever you are.
    • Favorites – touch to get directions from your location to places you have saved as Favorites.
    • Browse – touch to search categories, for example restaurants, theaters, parks and more.
    • Recent – touch to navigate to your most recent destinations without having to enter them again.
    • Address – touch to navigate to an address or intersection near the address.

Insignia Support

22. Can I change the voice on my GPS?

[ Edited ]

• No, it is not possible to change the voice on your GPS.

Insignia Support

23. How do I change the GPS heading?

[ Edited ]

1. Open the Main menu, then touch the Settings button. The Settings menu opens.
  2. Touch Map View. The Select a map view screen opens.
  3. Select a setting from the available views. A sample of your selection displays on the right. The following views are available:

• Car up—The top of the map view always represents the direction you are heading. The screen is in 2D which appears as if you are looking straight down at the map.
  • North up—The top of the map view is always north.
  • 3D—The map appears in perspective as though a horizon is in the distance. This is the factory setting. The top of the map view represents the direction you are heading.

1. Touch any button at the bottom of the screen to exit the menu and save your changes.

Insignia Support

24. Can I change the language on my GPS?

[ Edited ]

2. Touch the down arrow to display more settings.
  3. Touch International. The International menu opens.
  4. Touch Language. The following languages are available:

• American English
  • Español

1. Touch any button at the bottom of the screen to exit the menu and save your changes.

Insignia Support

25. How do I set my home address?

[ Edited ]

1. Touch Go to on the Home screen, then touch Go Home on the Main menu. The Home is not yet saved screen opens.
  2. Touch one of the following:

• Save current location to use your current GPS location.
  • Type address to enter a state, city, house number, and street name.
  • Choose from Favorites to select an address or destination from a list of Favorites you created.
  • Choose from Recents to select an address or destination from a list of recent destinations to which you created routes.

1. When the address card opens with your home address touch Save at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Touch the back arrow or the home screen button to exit this screen and continue your route creation.

Insignia Support

26. How do I attach my unit to my windshield or dash?

[ Edited ]

• The GPS should not be mounted in a place that would block the driver’s view of the road.
  • Make sure your car’s airbags are not obstructed by the GPS.
  • Use the supplied mounting bracket and cradle to mount your GPS in a vehicle.

1. Slide the mounting cradle onto the end of the mounting bracket to secure it.
  2. Set the bottom edge of your GPS onto the mount cradle, then push the retaining bracket at the top if the mounting cradle toward the GPS unit.
  3. Lift the suction cup lever and then press the suction cup to the windshield.
  4. Press the suction cup lever toward the windshield to attach the bracket to the windshield.
  5. Rotate the mounted GPS to a comfortable viewing position.

Insignia Support

27. How do I adjust the brightness of my screen?

[ Edited ]

• To adjust the Brightness of the screen:

2. Touch Brightness. The Brightness screen opens.
  3. Touch the scale to adjust the brightness. You see a preview of the brightness as you touch each level on the scale.
  4. Touch any button at the bottom of the screen to exit the menu and save your changes.

• To set the day or night color palette:

2. Touch Day/Night. The Select a color palette screen opens with the available color palettes shown on the left.
  3. The following palettes are available:

• Auto – Automatically switches the Day and Night colors according to the time of day at your current GPS location. When a GPS signal is not available, setting Auto changes from Night Mode to Day Mode at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., respectively.
  • Day – Day colors are displayed with a light background and street names in black text.
  • Night – The Night palette proves contrasting colors that are easier to see in the dark. For night, the Map view has a dark background and street names are in white text.

1. Touch any button on the bottom of the screen to exit the menu and save your changes.

Insignia Support

28. My destination is not in the map (house, street, store, etc.).

[ Edited ]

• The maps and POIs (Points of Interest) are supplied by Navteq, the leading map supplier in the industry. They supply maps to many other GPS manufacturers. Their team of data collectors drives around the country and constantly collects updates for roads and POIs. Unfortunately, they are not able to collect the latest data for every road and POI in every area.
  • If you have found an error in the data, you can log onto Navteq’s website and they will add it to their list of areas to update. (http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en)

Insignia Support

29. How do I adjust the volume?

[ Edited ]

• There is a volume lever on the right side of the GPS. Move the lever up or down to adjust the volume.

OR

2. Touch Volume. The Volume screen opens.
  3. Touch the scale to adjust the volume. As you touch the scale, the touch sound you hear indicates the volume.
  4. Touch any button at the bottom of the screen to exit the menu and save your changes.

Insignia Support

30. How do I create a Favorite location?

[ Edited ]

1. Start as you would to create a route to an address, using a Google search, or using Browse.
  2. When the address card displays, touch Save at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Touch Next to save the name shown on the keypad.

OR

Type the name you want to identify your favorite, then touch Next.

1. When the address card opens, touch the Back button or the Menu button at the bottom of the address card to save and exit the screen.

OR

Touch Go or Routes to get directions.