Insignia 200W 2.0 Stereo Receiver (NS-R2001) FAQ (12-1069)

[ Edited ]

Setup Questions

Question 1: How do I set up my receiver?

Question 2: How do I connect devices to my receiver?

Question 3: How do I connect the FM antenna?

Question 4: How do I connect the AM antenna?

Question 5: How do I connect audio-only devices to my receiver?

Question 6: How do I connect devices with video to my receiver?

Question 7: How do I connect speakers to my receiver?

Question 8: How do I connect headphones to my receiver?

Question 9: How do I connect a phone, tablet, or mp3 player my receiver?

Usage Questions

Question 10: How do I turn on my receiver?

Question 11: How do I put my receiver in STANDBY mode?

Question 12: How do I adjust the volume?

Question 13: How do I use the remote control?

Question 14: How do I change to a different device?

Question 15: How do I change which speakers are used?

Question 16: How do I adjust the tone?

Question 17: How do I listen to audio?

Question 18: How do I record audio?

Power Questions

Question 19: What should I do if there is no power?

Question 20: What should I do if the remote control does not work?

Question 21: How do I install or replace the batteries in my remote control?

Audio Questions

Question 22: How do I adjust the volume?

Question 23: Why is there no sound coming from the speakers?

Question 24: What should I do if there is noise or a humming sound coming from the speakers?

Question 25: What should I do if the sound coming from the speakers is unnatural and lacks bass?

Question 26: What should I do if the volume of SPEAKER A differs from that of SPEAKER B?

Question 27: How do I record audio?

Question 28: What should I do if I cannot record audio?

Tuner Questions

Question 29: How do I automatically preset a radio station?

Question 30: How do I manually preset a radio station?

Question 31: What should I do if stations cannot be received?

Question 32: What should I do if preset stations cannot be received?

Question 33: What should I do if there is poor FM reception?

Question 34: What should I do if there is a continuous hissing noise during FM reception?

Question 35: What should I do if there is a continuous hissing noise during AM reception?

Video Questions

Question 36: What should I do if I can hear the audio, but I can’t see the video on my TV?

General Questions

Question 37: How do I access the User Guide?

Question 38: Can I get more information about my receiver?

Question 39: Where can I find more information about my warranty?

Question 1: How do I set up my receiver?

[ Edited ]

CAUTION: Do not expose your receiver to extreme temperatures or humidity.

1. The receiver should be placed on a stable, flat surface and positioned so that it has a direct line of sight to the remote control. Avoid placing the receiver on a hot surface, such as the top of other hot running equipment. Also, make sure that there is adequate ventilation to your receiver. Do not install the receiver in a confined space, such as in a bookcase.
  2. Connect devices to your receiver (see Question 2, Question 3, Question 4, Question 5, Question 6, Question 7, Question 8, or Question 9).
  3. Connect speakers, antenna, and all optional equipment to the stereo receiver.
  4. Connect the AC power cord to the receiver and plug into an AC outlet.

Question 2: How do I connect devices to my receiver?

• When connecting devices to the receiver:
    • Never make or change any connections with the power turned on.
    • Do not plug the AC cord into the AC outlet until all connections have been made.
    • Make all connections firmly. Failure to do this can cause loss of sound, add noise (e.g. static) to the sound, or damage the receiver.
    • Be sure to match the color coding when connecting audio and speaker cords to the receiver.

Question 3: How do I connect the FM antenna?

1. Connect the indoor FM antenna (included) to the FM jack on the back of the receiver.
2. Move the antenna until you get the best reception of your favorite FM stations.

• To improve reception, you may use a 75 Ohm outdoor antenna instead of the included indoor antenna. Be sure to     disconnect the indoor antenna before replacing it with an outdoor one.

Question 4: How do I connect the AM antenna?

1. Remove the indoor AM antenna (included) from its package, uncoil the wire, and fold the two halves of the loop together. Fold the base under the loop and press it into the pins on the bottom of the loop. Press the GND and AM Loop levers, insert the ends of the wires, then release the levers. Make sure only the bare, stripped wire is inserted in the jack.
2. Move the antenna until you get the best reception of your favorite AM stations.

• To improve reception, you may use a 75 Ohm outdoor antenna instead of the included indoor antenna. Be sure to disconnect the indoor antenna before replacing it with an outdoor antenna.

Question 5: How do I connect audio-only devices to my receiver?

[ Edited ]
  1. Connect the cable from the Audio Out jack on the audio device to the L/R AUX IN jacks on the receiver.
  2. Make firm connections and be sure to match the color coding when connecting devices to the receiver.

audio connect.jpg

Question 6: How do I connect devices with video to my receiver?

[ Edited ]
  1. Connect the cable from the Audio Out jack on the audio device to the L/R AUX IN jacks on the receiver.
  2. Connect the cable(s) (i.e. component, composite, HDMI, DVI, S-Video, or RF) carrying the video signal from the output jack on the video device to the appropriate input jack on your TV.

audio connect_VCR_TV - new.jpg

Question 7: How do I connect speakers to my receiver?

CAUTION: If only one set of speakers is being connected (i.e. only SPEAKER A or SPEAKER B terminals), it is recommended that speakers with an impedance of 8 Ohms are used. Also, if only one set of speakers are used, it is recommended that they be connected to the SPEAKER A terminal. If two sets of speakers are being connected (i.e. both SPEAKER A and SPEAKER B terminals), it is recommended that speakers with an impedance of 16 Ohms are used.

• Never let the bare speaker wires touch each other or any metal part of the receiver. Doing so may damage the receiver or speakers.
  • Be sure to connect the speakers correctly according to the channel (left and right) and the polarity (+/-). If you do not make the connections correctly, you will not hear any sound from the speakers.
  1. Turn the terminal cap to loosen it.
  2. Insert the bare wire into the terminal fully and tighten the terminal cap to securely connect it. Make sure that you strip the wire adequately so that none of the wire insulation is under the terminal.
  3. Pull gently on the cable to ensure that it is secure. Failure to make firm connections can cause loss of sound, add noise to the sound, or damage your receiver.

NOTE: If the sound is unnatural and lacks bass, the speaker polarity is incorrect.

Question 8: How do I connect headphones to my receiver?

1. Insert a ¼” headphone plug into the headphone jack on the front of the receiver.
  2. Press the SPEAKER A or SPEAKER B button on the remote or the receiver to turn the speakers off. The corresponding speaker indicator turns off, Happears on the display, and sound can be heard from the headphones.

Question 9: How do I connect a phone, tablet, or mp3 player my receiver?

[ Edited ]

NOTE: To connect a phone, tablet, or mp3 player to the receiver, a dual RCA-to-AUX cable is required (not included).

1. Plug the dual RCA end of the cable into the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver. Be sure to match the color coding system when plugging in this cable.
  2. Plug the AUX end of the cable into the Audio Out jack on the device (i.e. phone, tablet, or mp3 player).
  3. Turn on your device,
  4. Start playing audio from the device.
  5. Adjust the volume of the device. Audio coming from this device may be poor if the volume is too low.
  6. If needed, adjust the volume of the receiver (see Question 12).
  7. Be sure to reduce the volume of the receiver before switching over to a new device