Insignia A/V Home Theater Receiver (NS-AV511) FAQ (13-0163)

[ Edited ]

Setup

Question 1: Where should I place my speakers?

Question 2: Where do I connect each speaker to my home theater receiver?

Question 3: Where do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with an HDMI cable?

Question 4: How do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with a component video cable?

Question 5: How do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with a composite video cable?

Question 6: How do I assign HDMI, component, and digital audio inputs?

Rocketboost

Question 7: How do I enable Rocketboost on my home theater receiver?

Question 8: Where can I get a wireless card to enable Rocketboost on my home theater receiver?

Question 9: How do I set up my first Rocketboost network?

Question 10: How do I connect my home theater receiver to an existing Rocketboost network?

Question 11: How do I listen to audio from other Rocketboost devices?

Question 12: What should I do if I cannot join my home theater receiver to a Rocketboost network?

Usage

Question 13: How do I play a connected device through my home theater receiver?

Question 14: How do I navigate the on-screen advanced setup menu?

Question 15: What should I do if the remote control does not work?

Audio

Question 16: Which listening mode should I select?

Question 17: What should I do if there is no sound?

Question 18: What should I do if I only hear sound from certain speakers?

Question 19: Why will the volume of my home theater receiver not increase?

Question 20: How do I use the radio on my home theater receiver?

Question 21: What should I do if radio reception is not clear?

Video

Question 22: What should I do if I have no video?

General

Question 23: How do I reset the home theater receiver back to factory defaults?

Question 24: Where can I get more information about the Insignia A/V Home Theater Receiver?

Question 25: Where can I find more information about my warranty?

Question 1: Where should I place my speakers?

1. Center speaker: Position the center speaker close to your TV at about ear level or the same height as the front speakers.
  2. Front speakers: Face the front speakers towards the listener at about ear level and equidistant from the TV. Angle them inward towards the listener.
  3. Subwoofer: Position the subwoofer in a corner or at one-third the width of the wall.
    Note: To find the best position for your subwoofer play audio with good bass and experiment with the subwoofer by playing it at various positions in the room.
  4. Surround speakers: Position the surround speakers at the sides of the listener, or slightly behind, about two to three feet above ear level. Ideally, the surround speakers should be the same distance from the listener.

13-0163_speaker layout.jpg

Question 2: Where do I connect each speaker to my home theater receiver?

13-0163_connecting to home theater.jpg

To connect speaker cables:

1. Unplug your home theater receiver and speakers from their power outlets.
  2. Strip 1/2” to 5/8” (12 to 15 mm) of insulation from the ends of the speaker cables, then twist the bare wires tightly.
  3. Push in the speaker terminals on the home theater receiver, then insert the speaker wires into the appropriate terminals. Make sure that the polarity of the speaker wires matches the polarity of the home theater receiver terminals.
  4. Release the terminals to secure the wire.
  5. Plug your home theater receiver and speakers into power outlets.

To connect the subwoofer:

1. Unplug your home theater receiver and subwoofer from their power outlets.
  2. Using a subwoofer RCA cable, connect the home theater receiver’s SUBWOOFER PRE OUT jack to an input on your subwoofer.
  3. Plug your home theater receiver and subwoofer into power outlets.

Question 3: Where do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with an HDMI cable?

[ Edited ]

Note: The following lists the default input connections. If you do not follow these defaults, see Question 6 to manually assign your HDMI input.

• Connect your Blu-ray disc/DVD player to HDMI 1 (BD/DVD).
  • Connect your VCR or DVR to HDMI 2 (VCR/DVR).
  • Connect your satellite, cable, or set-top box to HDMI 3 (CBL/SAT).
  • Connect your game console to HDMI 4 (GAME).
  • Connect TV or projector to HDMI OUT.

13-0163_connecting components with HDMI.jpg

Question 4: How do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with a component video cable?

[ Edited ]
  1. Use a component video cable to connect your devices to the appropriate jacks as labeled on your home theater receiver. Make sure that the colors of the jacks match the corresponding connectors.
  2. If you do not use the default assignments, see Question 6 to manually assign your inputs.

13-0163_receiver back.jpg

Question 5: How do I connect devices to my home theater receiver with a composite video cable?

• Connect your devices to the AUX INPUT jacks on the front or back of your device. Make sure that the colors of the jacks match the corresponding connectors.

13-0163_receiver front.jpg

13-0163_receiver back.jpg

Question 6: How do I assign HDMI, component, and digital audio inputs?

[ Edited ]

If you connect a device to an HDMI, component, or digital input, you must assign that device to an input (BD/DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, GAME, AUX, TUNER, or TV/CD). For more information about navigating the home theater receiver’s on-screen menu, see Question 14.

To assign HDMI inputs:
Note:
When an HDMI IN is assigned to an input selector, the digital audio input for that input selector is automatically set to the same HDMI IN.

1. On your TV, select the HDMI input that your home theater receiver is connected to.
    Note: If the home theater receiver is not connected to your TV with HDMI, the onscreen menus are not displayed.
  2. Press RECEIVER on your remote control, then press SETUP. The Setup Menu opens.
    OR
    Press SETUP on your home theater receiver. The Setup Menu opens.
  3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select 1. HDMI Input, then press ENTER. The HDMI Input menu opens.
  4. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the device that your home theater receiver is connected to.
  5. Press ◄ or ► to select the HDMI input (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, or HDMI4) that the device is connected to.
    Note: Each HDMI input can only be assigned to a single input selector. When HDMI1HDMI4 have already been assigned, you must first set the unused input selectors to “- - - - -” or you will not be able to assign HDMI1HDMI4.
  6. Press SETUP to close the menu.

To assign component inputs:

1. On your TV, select the HDMI input that your home theater receiver is connected to.
    Note: If the home theater receiver is not connected to your TV with HDMI, the onscreen menus are not displayed.
  2. Press RECEIVER on your remote control, then press SETUP. The Setup Menu opens.
    OR
  3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select 2. Component, then press ENTER. The Component menu opens.
  4. Press ▲ or ▼ to select the device that your home theater receiver is connected to.
  5. Press ◄ or ► to select the component input (IN1 or IN2) that the device is connected to.
    Note: Each component input can only be assigned to a single input selector. When IN1 or IN2 have already been assigned, you must first set the unused input selectors to “- - - - -” or you will not be able to assign IN1 or IN2.

To assign digital audio inputs:

Note: When an HDMI IN is assigned to an input selector, the digital audio input for that input selector is automatically set to the same HDMI IN. In addition to the usual inputs (such as COAX), you can also select HDMI inputs.

OR
  3. Press ▲ or ▼ to select 3. Digital Audio, then press ENTER. The Digital Audio menu opens.
  5. Press ◄ or ► to select the digital audio input (COAX, OPT1, or OPT2) that the device is connected to.
    Note: Each component input can only be assigned to a single input selector. When COAX, OPT1, or OPT2 have already been assigned, you must first set the unused input selectors to “- - - - -” or you will not be able to assign COAX, OPT1, or OPT2.

Question 7: How do I enable Rocketboost on my home theater receiver?

To use your home theater receiver as a Rocketboost sender/receiver, you need to install the Rocketboost Wireless Ready Card (RF-RBCARD).

To install the Rocketboost Wireless Ready Card:

1. Remove the plastic protective cover from the wireless card connector.
  2. Align the wireless card with the card slot on the top of the home theater receiver.
  3. Insert the wireless card into the home theater receiver. It should fit easily and securely.

13-0163_Install Wireless Card.jpg

Question 8: Where can I get a wireless card to enable Rocketboost on my home theater receiver?

[ Edited ]
  • Unfortunately, the Rocketboost Wireless Ready Card (RF-RBCARD) has been discontinued.
  • You can set up your speakers using a wired connection. See Question 2 for connection instructions.

Question 9: How do I set up my first Rocketboost network?

[ Edited ]

Every new Rocketboost device you add to your Rocketboost network must be “joined” to your Rocketboost hub device. If the home theater receiver is the hub of your network, use the following steps to join each of your Rocketboost devices on your network. If you want to join your home theater receiver to an existing Rocketboost network, see Question 10.

1. Install a Rocketboost Wireless Ready Card into your home theater receiver. See Question 7 for more information.
  2. Press the Power button on your home theater receiver to turn it on.
  3. Press SETUP on your home theater receiver or remote control. The Setup Menu opens.
  4. Press ▼ or ▲ to select 11. Rocketboost, then press ENTER. The Rocketboost menu opens.
  5. Press ▼ or ▲ to select Hub (Manager) Enable, then press ENTER. The Hub Enable menu opens.
  6. Press ◄ or ► to select Enable. Make sure that your other Rocketfish devices are set to Disable.
  7. Press RETURN to go to the previous menu.
  8. If possible, bring the Rocketboost device you want to join to your home theater receiver into the same room as the home theater receiver. You can move it to a different location after joining.
  9. Press the Power button on the Rocketboost device to turn it on.
  10. Press and hold the Power button on your Rocketboost device for more than three seconds to put it into joining mode. The power indicator starts blinking rapidly and the unit stays in joining mode for 30 seconds.
  11. On your home theater receiver, press ▼ or ▲ to select Connect to Wireless Network, then press ENTER. The display on your home theater receiver shows “Connecting.” When connected to your other Rocketboost device, the display shows “Connected” and the power indicator LED on your other Rocketboost device lights solid.
    Note: If the joining fails after 30 seconds, the display on your home theater receiver shows “Timeout.” Repeat these steps or see Question 12 for more information.
  12. Press RETURN to go back to the main menu.