Insignia Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth (NS-STR514) FAQ (14-0119)

[ Edited ]

Setup

Question 1: How do I connect speakers to my stereo receiver?

Question 2: How do I connect an audio-only device to my stereo receiver?

Question 3: How do I connect devices that use video to my stereo receiver?

Question 4: How do I connect a phone, tablet, or MP3 player to my stereo receiver?

Usage

Question 5: How do I switch my stereo receiver to play a different device?

Question 6: What should I do if there is no power or the stereo receiver suddenly turns off?

Question 7: What should I do if the stereo receiver’s display is dark or off?

Bluetooth

Question 8: How do I pair a device to my stereo receiver?

Question 9: How do I disconnect a paired Bluetooth device from my stereo receiver?

Question 10: What should I do if my stereo receiver will not pair with my Bluetooth device?

Question 11: What should I do if my Bluetooth device keeps disconnecting from my stereo receiver?

Question 12: What is the passcode for pairing a Bluetooth device to my stereo receiver?

Audio

Question 13: What should I do if there is no sound coming from all or one of the speakers?

Question 14: What should I do if I hear static or popping noises though my speakers?

Question 15: What should I do if the sound is not balanced or loud enough?

Question 16: What should I do if the speaker sound is unnatural and lacks bass?

Question 17: How do I change which speakers are used?

Question 18: How do I adjust the tone of my speakers?

Question 19: How do I adjust my speaker balance?

Radio

Question 20: How do I listen to the radio?

Question 21: What should I do if a radio station has static or is not received?

Question 22: How do I set a radio station preset?

Video

Question 23: What should I do if I hear audio, but do not see video on my TV?

Remote control

Question 24: What should I do if the remote control is not working?

Question 25: How do I install or replace batteries in my remote control?

General

Question 26: Where can I get more information about my stereo receiver?

Question 27: Where can I find more information about my warranty?

Question 1: How do I connect speakers to my stereo receiver?

Note: If you only have one pair of speakers, connect them to the SPEAKER A terminals.

1. If your speaker wires are not exposed, use a wire stripper to remove about 3/8” (10 mm) of insulation from each speaker wire, then tightly twist the exposed wires. Do not let the bare wires touch each other or any metal part of your receiver.
    Warning: Make sure that your speakers are unplugged before stripping the wires.
    Connect-speakers_1.jpg
  2. Loosen each speaker terminal on the back of the stereo receiver by turning it counterclockwise.
    Connect-speakers_2.jpg
  3. Match the channel (left and right) and polarity (+ and -) of the terminals to the speaker wires.
    Tip: Speaker cables are sometimes color-coded. Positive polarity cables are often red and negative polarity cables are often black. You can also check for markings on the outside of the wiring or the documentation that came with your speakers.
    Connect-speakers_3.jpg
  4. Insert the bare wire into the terminal, then tighten the terminal cap to securely connect it. Make sure that none of the wire insulation is under the terminal.
    Connect-speakers_4.jpg
  5. Make sure that the wires are secure by lightly pulling on them.

Question 2: How do I connect an audio-only device to my stereo receiver?

• Connect an RCA stereo cable (not included) from the L/R AUX IN (1, 2, or CD) jacks on your stereo receiver to the Audio Out jack(s) on your audio device. Make sure that the jack colors match the cable plug colors.

Audio-Devices_back-red.jpg

OR

• Connect a 3.5 mm audio cable (not included) from the AUX 3 jack on your stereo receiver to the Audio Out jack on your audio device.

Audio-devices_front.jpg

Question 3: How do I connect devices that use video to my stereo receiver?

1. Connect an RCA stereo cable (not included) from the Audio Out jack on the audio device to the L/R AUX IN (1, 2, or CD) jacks on the stereo receiver. Make sure that the jack colors match the cable plug colors.
  2. Connect a video cable from the output jack on the video device to the appropriate input jack on your TV. For more information on connecting a video device, see the instructions that came with the device.
    Video-devices-red.png

Question 4: How do I connect a phone, tablet, or MP3 player to my stereo receiver?

[ Edited ]

Note: If your audio device has Bluetooth, see Question 8 for pairing instructions.

• Connect a 3.5 mm audio cable (not included) to the AUX 3 jack on the front of your stereo receiver, then connect the other end to your audio device.

Question 5: How do I switch my stereo receiver to play a different device?

• Press INPUT on the front of your stereo receiver repeatedly until the display shows the source that you want.

OR

• On the remote control, press the input button for the source that you want. The display changes to reflect the input selected.

Question 6: What should I do if there is no power or the stereo receiver suddenly turns off?

• Make sure that the stereo receiver is connected to a working power outlet. If it is connected to a power strip, make sure that it is turned on.
  • Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, then reconnect it.
  • If your stereo receiver suddenly turns off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. If the problem continues, call Insignia customer service at 1‑877‑467‑4289 (U.S. and Canada) or 01‑800‑926‑3000 (Mexico).

Question 7: What should I do if the stereo receiver’s display is dark or off?

• Press DIMMER on the remote control repeatedly to return it to the default setting.

Question 8: How do I pair a device to my stereo receiver?

1. Select BT AUDIO as the input by pressing:
    • The Bluetooth Icon A.gif (BLUETOOTH) button on the remote control. “BT AUDIO” appears on the display, then “PAIRING” is shown on the display and the Bluetooth indicator blinks.
      OR
    • The INPUT button repeatedly until “BT AUDIO” appears on the display, then “PAIRING” is shown on the display and the Bluetooth indicator blinks.
  2. Navigate to your device’s Bluetooth settings, turn on Bluetooth, then search for available devices. See the instructions that came with your Bluetooth device for more information.
    • For iPad/iPod touch:
      From the home page, touch Settings > General > Bluetooth.
    • For Android phone/tablet:
      From your smart phone/tablet home page, touch Settings > Wireless and networks.
    • For a PC or Mac, see the instructions in the documentation that came with your computer or operating system.
  3. On your Bluetooth device, select NS-STR514 from the device list. If a passcode is requested, enter 0000. When pairing is completed, “CONNECTED” appears on the display and the Bluetooth indicator turns on.

Question 9: How do I disconnect a paired Bluetooth device from my stereo receiver?

• Turn off Bluetooth on your Bluetooth device.

OR

• Select a different input (source) on your stereo receiver.