No sound from Insignia sound bar with LG smart tv

Bought sound bar and TV for daughter's college apartment for Christmas.  She returned to college yesterday 1/14/18 but  soundbar not working.  TV works fine (as "good" as TV speakers get).  She followed instructions that came with soundbar.  Initially got a noise from soundbar, but then tried with Hulu and Netflix and got nothing.  Now gets nothing in any mode.

LG 43" Class 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV - 43LJ5500

Insignial: NS-SB316

Per website, it is too late to return soundbar (could not try it before she got to apartment with her cable hook-up).  Can you give suggestions about how to connect to TV to make soundbar work?

Insignia Support

Re: No sound from Insignia sound bar with LG smart tv

Hello gremom,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

Additional information would be helpful:

• What type of cable is your daughter using to connect her sound bar to the TV (i.e., digital, composite, 3.5 mm)?
  • Under what circumstances did she get sound through the sound bar?
  • Are any other components connected to the TV or sound bar?

Given that you have contacted us on her behalf, it may be more efficient if your daughter were call us so that we can assist with troubleshooting in real time. She can reach Insignia Support at 877-467-4289.

Otherwise, I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

She used whatever came with it. Then she called Best Buy customer service. Per their instructions, she bought an optical cable but still no success. Best Buy says unit is defective.
Highlighted

Oh, she just plugged bar into the smart tv that is attached only to a cable box. I'll have her call you.