Contributor

Re: More streaming content please!

As a mostly satisfied owner of an NS-WBRDVD I think that Insignia may not appreciate that many people who own one of their units have TVs in OTHER ROOMS as well.  I currently own 6 standard DVD players of various vintages. (Not all of them in use at this time)  I have upgraded one of them to the NS-WBRDVD and may soon be in the market for at least additional units as well.  The price on this unit was very good before Christmas, considering that it had wireless built in and the promise of easy upgrades and additional services.  My other rooms, however, have CAT-5 connections and do not need wireless.  So this makes other brand units attractive, especially since they offer Pandora and YouTube, etc. 

Product support not only guarantees my continued satisfaction with my current unit.  It also has an influence on continued purchases as I replace my old style TV's and DVD players with higher definition units.

Ken - NM9P

Billy3 wrote:

X:

Insignia has already indicated that more services are coming (see previous messages).  In fact, Best Buy is in formal agreements with CinemaNow (google it).  Broadcom, if that's what this player is, supports Netflix® 2.0, Pandora® Internet Radio, Vudu™ and CinemaNow® (per Broadcom website).  It's illogical to say that they can't "create anything fancy" when Insignia already has Netflix and it works fine.

The incentive for Insignia is, of course, more sales.  There's no reason to believe they wouldn't enter in to formal agreements to bring the services, so I don't know why you mention the possibility that they wouldn't.

Visitor

Billy, the last update by insignia on this thread is by Nancy on Page 4 listing services that *wont* be available on the current platform. I didn't see anyone else promising anything more. Correct me if I am wrong.
CinemaNow is news to me but I am not looking for it anyway. I am more interested in free content and access to content on my network the foremost. Unfotunately, that is more technically involved than adding netflix's own lib to bdplayer and that is where my doubts arise.

Coming to Broadcom website, you are refering to news article about Broadcom's new BCM7630 and BCM7632 solutions. Insignia uses the older platform BCM7602 which is probably why Nancy-INSG on page 4 said current platform cannot support some services. So, I am not convinced that insigna can improve existing platform.

Coming to netflix, I believe there is very little that insignia had to do to add netflix. netflix probably povided a library that was integrated as an app in the player. Making deals with other services is something that is cash driven. The equation changes based on who is benefiting by whom. So, I will wait and see.

At the end of the day, more sales can still be acheived by introducing a new line with more features (with new braodcom SOCs). 

If you carefully sniff the firmware, you will find pandora is on the anvil.

Contributor

X:

On page 6 of this thread, Nancy updated the status: "We are getting closer to adding new a streaming service. I do not have an exact date and I am still not able to disclose the service, but I will post an update as soon as the firmware update is available."   

The statement is not inconsistent with her previous statement which did not exclude *all* streaming services, just some.

Whether adding Netflix or adding another service is difficult or not or what the specifics of the deals are is beside the point: Insignia has expressed that there is something else in the pipeline.

Visitor

Thanks for pointing me to the update on page 6. It cements my guess that insignia is not implementing services but just integrating services. I infer this from "Our player does not support streaming files from your PC to the player and at this point we will not be able to support this".  I know PC streaming requires a server but other than that supporting streaming from PC is no different from streaming from internet.

I am not claiming that they are inconsistent with previous statement or anything like tha.  I am merely expressing my opinion - not to expect too much. They already pointed out technical limitaions. Add licencing costs, manpower, expertise and support costs to the equation and you know what to expect. If someone out there really needs all the major services, it is better to buy something that already has this.

I am just hoping that they will support accessing network share if not streaming from PC and respect the GPL and openup the firmware to allow others to bring in all the freebie content. (FYI, insignia was sued for GPL violation)

Contributor

This thread has certainly petered out.  Where's the more streaming content? Or the ability to stream content to my ns-brhtib?  

YESSSSS!!! Sign me up. This is the best gadget so far. Simple to use and to the point. Send the code out for people to create apps.

Contributor

Sign us all up. Even though it appears that Insignia has forgotten us! WTF?

Insignia Support

Hello Roasted and all,

Please be assured that we haven't forgotten about this.  As you might imagine, there can be many hurdles to introducing new functionality and services.  We continue to work on this project with enthusiasm, encouraged by your interest and support.  As soon as we have news, our Community will be among the first to know!

Regards,
John
Insignia™ Support

Contributor

John and all other INSG support reps,

The actions of Insignia do not seem to match the words.  There was and has been A LOT of enthusiasm with the members, contributors, and visitors here in the Insignia community, especially with this thread. We are going on almost three months from the last substantial update of some kind of progress being made on the DVD updates.  In the meantime, I have had at least three firmware updates from Samsung on another DVD player that I also own.  While there is no community board that I follow and interact with them, at least I don't feel like they are BSing me and just keep telling me to "wait, wait, wait...something is in the pipe."  I am not saying that you all are not doing anything, but when you make comments such as "things are in the works" without any SUBSTANTIAL update, at the very least on a monthly basis, it really appears that 'nothing is in the works', except for me new product development.

So if you truly view this as a community and you truly are working "with enthusiasm, encouraged by your interest and support" then show enough interest to provide us with some meaningful and substantial updates as you would in any community that you want to thrive.  Whether the news is positive or negative...there has got to be something more that can be provided besides "As soon as we have news, our Community will be among the first to know!"

Regards,

Stephen

Insignia Community Member

Contributor

I am glad that you haven't forgotten about us!  Hopefully the "not forgetting" continues!