Insignia Representative

Re: More streaming content please!

I am wondering about the differences between Netflix and Amazon, and why people may want support of both services on the same connected player. My sense is there are a few key considerations...

1 - Amount of shows you stream: the person who watches enough movies to get a return on the monthly fee versus the person who occasionally watches a movie and would rather pay a la carte.

2 - Catalog for Streaming: Availability of streaming hits/new releases versus deeper catalog

3 - HD Streaming: Availability of HD and standard formats for movies in the catalog may put one service out in front of another.

What else? Anything above that needs correcting/modifying?
Contributor

I can only speak for myself, but currently Netflix streaming library is limited.  Hulu and YouTube would be additional sources of free content; Amazon would be another source of paid content.

I expect that streaming video will replace the standard DVD and eventually Bluray discs.  More sources of content are essential.

Currently, Netflix fills my needs.  I generally put kid/family movies in the DVD queue to provide a steady stream of movies for us to watch.  My streaming queue is filled with not-so-kid-freindly movies that I can watch whenever I get the chance (which isn't very often).

But there are numerous instances where I am looking for a TV show, clip, or movie that is not available through Netflix.  I could work around most of this by connecting one of my computers to my TV, but I'm not really interested in doing that.  Perhaps when I finally break down and by a laptop...

Anyway, as to your list:

1.  I generally prefer a monthly fee subscription like Netflix.  Getting a different movie once or twice a week is a great way to spend time together as a family and keep my son busy with something other than video games.  If I rented a movie a week at $3/ea that would cost more than my Netflix subscription plus Netflix gives me the option of streamed content, also.

2.  This is the drawback of streaming through Netflix.  Only a small percentage of their library is available for streaming.  This is where Amazon has the advantage and I would be willing to pay an a la carte fee to watch something unavailable elsewhere.

3.  This might be true for some people.

Contributor

I think the operative concept is flexibility and choice.  I have been a Netflix subscriber for about two months.   I use the streaming a lot for children's shows for my young son and for watching classics and other programs I find on the spur of the moment.  In fact, most of the programming I have watched lately has been via Netflix streaming.  When I want more recent films or better video/sound quality, I wait for the Netfliz DVD to arrive.  The subscription is well worth the fee for me.  It costs about the same as the Starz/Encore package that I just cancelled on my DirecTV, and I watch it a lot more than I did the Starz/Encore package because I have greater choice in programming.

*** Netflix streaming is the MAIN reason I purchased any type of blue-ray player at all this year. ***

I don't plan to purchase a lot of blu-ray disks in the near future, but I don't want to have an excessive number of gadgets in my home entertainment center.  This purchase allowed me to combine several pieces of equipment into one.   

I almost purchased a Roku box after seeing my brother's unit.  It is more flexible, and has more online features, but I was assured that the ability to increase features through downloadable firmware updates would soon allow the WBRDVD to catch up with it, and offer DVD/Blu-ray cabability as a bonus.

If the WBRDVD could stream other online services, I could free up even more space and eliminate the need for a computer connected to my system.  If it also added the ability to access my personal content from computers and/or media servers on my home network it truly would become the center-piece of my home entertainment system.

Hulu and other services such as Boxee offer free access to a great variety of older TV programming and obscure videos of interest, including educational programs, etc. 

Pandora would allow me to listen to audio feeds anytime I wished, possibly making my MP3 player unnecessary much of the time.

Amazon has both free downloads and paid On-Demand higher quality streaming of newer programming.  For those who would purchase on demand it is a good deal.  I personally wouldn't use it much,  But having the option available when desired would add greatly to the value of my Blu-ray connected player.

Many of the competing internet-capable Blu-ray players seem to be comparable to one another regarding BR/DVD features and quality.  The battle will be won on the issue of flexibility and choice of internet streaming.

This is no place to scrimp.  The more features you can add, even if it requires a USB memory stick to load them all, the more customer satisfaction you will generate (and more good press) and the more units you will sell. 

Thanks for an already good entry level product.  (I got my NS-WBRDVD for $129 at Best Buy's Before Black Friday sale and was tickled pink to find it.  I wish I had gotten two.)

NM9P

I really like the unlimited streaming of Netflix but it's not always practical. 

In some cases, they may have only some seasons of TV series availabl (like seasons 1 and 3, but not 2!), so it would be nice to have a way to stream others from other services. 

And the video quality of some of what is there isn't great, which my kids don't care about, so Netflix makes sense for them/  But I'm spoiled on HD so I want another streaming option to get higher quality streaming of things Netflix doesn't have yet, without a trip to the video rental store or several days wait.

I purchased a Samsung BD player first, but the need to purchase an additional wirless dongle really didn't sit well with me.  So I went to the Insignia.  The Best Buy by my house was out of the wirless BD player, so I drove to the next closest. The thing I miss the most about the Samsung was the Pandora.  So my list would be:

1) Pandora

2) Pandora

3) Pandora

I am primarily using the unit at my lake house where we have high speed internet, but not many TV or radio stations and Pandora would be great.

Thanks.

Future NS-WBRDVD firmware features...

Hi, I just bought the NS-WBRDVD player with wi-fi Netflix and love it.  However, I was wondering if there are any future connectivity planned such as iTunes and/or Youtube?  Thanks.

Re: Future NS-WBRDVD firmware features...

Not at this Time. Maybe in the near future they will add this via a update.
Contributor

Re: Future NS-WBRDVD firmware features...

yeah I would like to see more Free streaming provider added .. like Youtube, and Pandora for some music ..also like Amazon video on demand better for video rentals ..

John Lee
Visitor

I would love to see Pandora and Amazon VOD.

Contributor

Hello. I agree with most of the ratings people have already listed.
 1) Hulu
 2) Pandora
 3) Boxee

4) Amazon

I would definitely use the first three as they are primarily free services and maybe use Amazon for some free content also.  I am happy, for now, with the Netflix availability and I bought this player (NS-WBRDVD) specifically because of that and the wireless capability.  Any additional firmware updates to those listed above would be an added, but expected, bonus.

Thanks.