Contributor

Re: More streaming content please!

I'm familiar with Boxee, but I don't view Boxee as a content provider; they are more an aggregator.  I view them as the weakest link in the chain of content.  Personally, I would rather just have a direct connection to a few content providers than to one that currently has more content available, but I consider to be of limited long term viability.

I agree with her list. If you guys add those features you will the sales increase. This Insignia Blu_Ray is not currently a "tier one" product. But is a "Best Buy". Add those features to a rom update FREE and you will have a winner that sells at the rate of the "tier one" players. And you'll have customers like us referring them.
Contributor

Another hope of mine is that they'll roll out early beta or bugged software early for those of us that might want to risk a player reboot/start to help them get some of this out FAST and as bug free as possible.

I'm an advocate of early release beta programs  and am throwing this out there because I have no idea of what their policy is in this area.

Cheers,

-Greg

Contributor

777Braveheart wrote:
I agree with her list. If you guys add those features you will the sales increase. This Insignia Blu_Ray is not currently a "tier one" product. But is a "Best Buy". Add those features to a rom update FREE and you will have a winner that sells at the rate of the "tier one" players. And you'll have customers like us referring them.

I also agree.  I seriously considered purchasing a second WBRDVD player for use in my bedroom when BestBuy had them for $119 after Christmas.  But I have put it off until I hear about future firmware releases.  Instead, I am considering a Roku box for the other room.  I already have am upconverting DVD which is good enough for the 23" set, and the Roku offers all of the internet services that I am looking for.  But if Insignia releases a quality firmware upgrade shortly, I will take the plunge for another WBRDVD instead.  And, yes, 777Braveheart, I will be referring the unit to all my many friends who ask my advice on everything electronic.
Contributor

Community members,
My name is Nancy, I am the Sr. Product manager for insignia working on Blu-ray and other home audio devices. I want to first thank you for all of your comments on our latest Blu-ray players. We are very excited to enter into the connected world with Netflix’s 2.0 service.

We are looking and interested in adding more streaming services and the list of suggestions you are discussing is very helpful. I am unable to confirm which services will be added since we are still working through the technical aspects of adding them. I can say that the technical platform for our current BR players makes it unlikely that we will support Youtube, Amazon, Hulu, and Boxee on these models (NS-BRDVD3, NS-WBRDVD, NS-BRDVD3-CA, NS-BRHTIB).

Please keep the conversation going!
Visitor

What about network (DLNA) type sharing? Viewing videos or pictures from my PC?
Contributor

Nancy-INSG wrote:
<snip>
We are looking and interested in adding more streaming services and the list of suggestions you are discussing is very helpful. I am unable to confirm which services will be added since we are still working through the technical aspects of adding them. I can say that the technical platform for our current BR players makes it unlikely that we will support Youtube, Amazon, Hulu, and Boxee on these models (NS-BRDVD3, NS-WBRDVD, NS-BRDVD3-CA, NS-BRHTIB).

<snip>

That's too bad.  That pretty much eliminates the additional services I would like to see.  That's alright though as I expect Netflix to continue to expand their streaming library.

Visitor

Yes - with the current platform, is it possible to support streaming from a windows home server?  I would love to stream music and movies from itunes to the Blu-ray player.
Contributor

Nancy-INSG wrote:

>>>....I can say that the technical platform for our current BR players makes it unlikely that we will support Youtube, Amazon, Hulu, and Boxee on these models (NS-BRDVD3, NS-WBRDVD, NS-BRDVD3-CA, NS-BRHTIB). <<<

Thanks for the update....

Now we are all very curious about what services will be added.  Does your statement mean that SOME of these services may be in the pipeline, but not all?  Or does it mean that NONE of them are possible, but that others not mentioned will be?  Hmmm.

Now, here is a technical question... What is different about the technical platform of the current Insignia BR players than some of the other brands that makes it unlikely to include these services?  It it a lack of memory? (which could be suplimented by USB sticks) or processing power? (it seems to me that a device capable of decoding BluRay disks should handle anything the internet dishes out) or are you usng a programming language or operating system that makes it difficult to encode the software for this purpose?  Or are licensing issues/agreements with content providers the problem?  It seems that some of your competition have been able to solve these issues for at least some of these services.

I have been an amateur radio operator for 35 years and have played with computer programming for a couple of decades and know that given time and motivation, a lot of hardware limitations have work-arounds. 

I realize that company policy may prevent you from answering these questions, but thanks for stimulating my curiosity!

Thanks also for a product that already does a good job at BR and Netflix!

Contributor

If not Boxee, what about Vudu?

http://www.vudu.com/ 

http://gizmodo.com/5441482/vudu-brings-apps-by-the-hundreds-to-big-name-tvs-and-blu+ray-players

Lots of streaming HD to rent.  

Pandora. 

Other BD players are supposedly adding it.