Contributor

Re: More streaming content please!

I have posted previously, but the discussion has helped me refine my preferences, especially given the feedback from corporate that upgrades will be limited.  so here are my top 2...

1) Pandora

2) Hulu

I tend to agree with Gimpyfish62 that additional subscription services such as Blockbuster and Amazon would be redundant, but nice, and should have a lower priority on the list.

Gimpyfish62 also commented that these upgrades should be added to FUTURE new DVD players.  I have to respectfully disagree.  What is the point of having internet connected players that can upgrade firmware by themselves if the company is simply going to move on and only add new features to new equipment, forcing consumers to constantly purchase the new model?  This is the sort of "planned obsolescence" that has plagued consumer devices over the past two decades. 

The miracle of modern internet connectivity is the ability to make "smart" devices that can be upgraded easily.  I strongly urge Insignia to continue to support their current players, even while developing new product lines.  This will add value to the consumer and create brand loyalty.

The company that best services its customers now, will be assured of keeping them in the future.

Ken - NM9P

Gimpyfish62 wrote:

I fully support Pandora being on this Blu-Ray player. I'm not even currently in the market but if this player at $179.99 standard Best Buy pricing had Pandora AND Netflix - I'd be buying it almost instantly (need a paycheck haha).

Hulu would be a HUGE plus - my girlfriend is obsessed with it and I really love it too.

<snip>

I believe what you were trying to say by the way is that you won't be able to update the CURRENT Blu-Ray player to do these features through firmware - which makes perfect sense.

I'd like to see these ideas implemented in the next "Advanced Series" Blu-Ray.

=)

Visitor

One that I didn't see brought up yet, but that would be a great addition to streaming, (if Pandora can't be added, or in addition to) is Napster.

Re: NS-WBRDVD Only receives Netflix?

I am with you guys!  Why not a firmware update to allow hulu and pandora streaming??? 
Contributor

Community members,

Thank you again for continuing the dialogue on this topic. I have a couple updates for you.

1.       Our player does not support streaming files from your PC to the player and at this point we will not be able to support this.

2.       We are getting closer to adding new a streaming service. I do not have an exact date and I am still not able to disclose the service, but I will post an update as soon as the firmware update is available.  

Also, some of you have mentioned that you would be willing to do some beta testing for us. I really like this idea but after additional discussions we are unable to support this to the level that we feel it deserves to make it impactful. If things change we will reach out to you.

Contributor

Cool!  Looking forward to it.
Visitor

Great!  Thanks for listening to our input and following up!  Truly a unique experience compared to some customer service out there! 

Thanks to all the other posters to for helping me in my quest for more streaming! Smiley Happy

Insignia Representative

There have been some questions about what might be limiting our ability to add different services.  And I thought I would take a stab at sharing some things to help with that, in anticipation of a future announcement about a firmware update.

As with many things, there is a lot that is technically possible with unlimited resources (probably stating the obvious, sorry for that).  So a technology platform in and of itself is not always the limiting factor.

However, when you take into consideration the effort to support a product given its technical platform, that is when it becomes more interesting.  Each time we add a service like Netflix, Napster, etc., it has the potential of negatively impacting your experience with a different service on the device, so there is a lot of testing we need to do.  And each time one service makes changes, we have to determine what we can and cannot do to continue supporting that service.  The more services we add, the more difficult it becomes to keep the experience with each service as good as you want it to be.

And we want your experiences with services on our Insignia products to be great.  So it becomes more a question of what we have the time and capacity to keep working the way you would expect it to, and less a question of what is technically possible.

And finally, everyone's engagement on this forum is helping us make choices about which services we should work the hardest to support.  Thanks!

It would be great to have access to MLB.TV as well.  There are a lot of providers that don't make this available to them, like Dish Network.  It is a great fit.
Visitor

we also need new firmware to fix 2 gig hd file limitation.
Visitor

Hi All:  I replied to this e-mail before.  Looking at Best Buy's promotions including free Net Flix to new subscribers(that buy from B.B.) leads me to believe that Best Buy is in bed with Net Flix.  Do they have any intentions of upgrading this product, or did they just pocket the kickback from Netflix? 

Thank You,

Jeff