Insignia HD Radio Portable Player (NS-HD01) FAQs (11-0213)

[ Edited ]

Setup Questions

Question 1: How do I set up my HD Radio?

Using the HD Radio Questions

Question 2: How do I charge the battery?

Question 3: How do I use the armband?

Question 4: How do I turn my HD Radio on and off?

Question 5: How do I adjust the volume?

Question 6: How do I set a preset station?

Question 7: How do I lock the buttons on my HD Radio?

Question 8: How do I view the guide in HD Radio mode?

Question 9: How do I use the menu?

Question 10: How do I adjust the contrast?

Question 11: How do I select the LCD time off mode?

Question 12: How do I set the seek mode?

Question 13: How do I view my current software version number?

Question 14: How do I reset my HD Radio to the factory defaults?

Tuning Stations Questions

Question 15: How do I tune a station in analog (FM) mode?

Question 16: How do I tune a station in HD Radio mode?

Question 17: How do I tune a station in RBDS mode?

Question 18: How do I manually tune to a frequency in analog (FM) mode or RBDS mode?

Question 19: How do I manually tune to a frequency in HD Radio mode?

Audio Questions

Question 20: My audio keeps going in and out.

Question 21: I am not receiving any audio.

Reception Questions

Question 22: My HD Radio is getting poor reception.

Question 23: I lost my station.

General Questions

Question 24: What is HD Radio?

Question 25: My HD Radio won’t turn on.

Question 26: My battery won’t charge.

Question 27: Where can I find out what stations are available in my area?

Question 28: Where can I find more information on HD Radio?

Question 29: Can I plug external speakers into my HD Radio Portable Player?

Question 30: Where can I find basic specifications or information on my HD Radio?

Question 31: How do I clean my HD Radio?

Question 1: How do I set up my HD Radio?

[ Edited ]
  • Have you tried using your User Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed please follow the steps below.
  • Basic steps for first time use are:
  1. Get to know your HD Radio Portable Player by familiarizing yourself with the button controls and connection options. 
  2. Charge your battery before your first use.
    • Connect the included USB cable to a USB port on a computer, then connect the other end of the cable to the CHARGE port on your radio.
    • Turn on your computer. While the battery is charging, the Charging screen appears. When charging is complete, the Charging Complete screen appears.
      NOTE: If you press a button while the battery is charging, the normal display appears. If no button is pressed for 30 seconds, the battery screen reappears.
  3. Get to know the radio modes. Your radio has three modes: analog (FM), HD Radio, and RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System).
    • Analog (FM) is the standard mode. The FM radio signal is an analog signal and when receiving an FM signal, the ‘FM’ icon appears on the display.
    • HD Radio mode is the new, digital mode. Many HD Radio stations have several sub-channels called “Multicast Channels.” When receiving an HD Radio signal, the “HD” icon and the channel number appear on the display.
    • RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System) mode provides additional functionality to FM radio reception by transmitting encoded analog information with the FM radio signal. The signal is decoded by an RBDS receiver and can provide a range of informational features including the station’s name. The RBDS text is usually centered. When the text fills the display, it begins scrolling. When receiving an RBDS signal, the “RBDS” icon appears on the display.
  4. Using the armband
    • Slide your HD Radio Portable Player into the armband pocket.
    • Wrap the armband around your upper arm with the radio facing out.
    • Slide the strap through the loop, then pull the strap to tighten it.
    • Fold the strap back over itself so it sticks to the Velcro strip and holds the armband in place.

Question 2: How do I charge the battery?

• Your radio has a built-in battery that you charge from the USB port on a computer.
  1. Connect the included USB cable to a USB port on a computer, then connect the other end of the cable to the CHARGE port on your radio.
  2. Turn on the computer. While the battery is charging, the Charging screen appears on the display. When charging is complete, the Charging Complete screen appears on the display.
    NOTE: The display automatically turns off after five minutes. You can disconnect your radio from the computer.
    NOTE: If you press a button while the battery is charging, the normal display appears. If no button is pressed for 30 seconds (unless you change the LCD Off Time in the menu), the battery screen reappears.

Question 3: How do I use the armband?

1. Slide your HD Radio Portable Player into the armband pocket.
  2. Wrap the armband around your upper arm with the radio facing out.
  3. Slide the strap through the loop, then pull the strap to tighten it.
  4. Fold the strap back over itself so it sticks to the Velcro strip and holds the armband in place. When the armband is securely in place, your radio controls are easy to access.

Question 4: How do I turn my HD Radio on and off?

• Press the Power button on the right side of the display to turn your HD Radio Portable Player on. The message ‘HD Radio’ appears on the display.
  • To turn off your radio, press the power button for about one second. The message ‘Power Off’ appears on the display.

Question 5: How do I adjust the volume?

• Turn the –VOL/MUTE+ control left to increase or right to decrease the volume. The volume indicator on the display adjusts accordingly.
  • Press the –VOL/MUTE+ control to mute the sound. The volume indicator changes to the mute icon. Press again to restore sound.
    CAUTION: Listening to your radio with the volume set too loud or using earphones for extended periods of time can damage your hearing. You should set the volume to a middle range level (the middle range level is usually less than 2/3 of the maximum).

Question 6: How do I set a preset station?

1. Tune to the station you want to make a preset.
  2. Press and hold PS+ or PS–. The preset number blinks.
  3. Press PS+ or PS– to increase or decrease the preset number.
  4. When you find the preset number you want to use, press and hold PS+ or PS–. Preset Saved appears on the display and the station information is stored with the preset number.

Question 7: How do I lock the buttons on my HD Radio?

• You can lock the buttons on your radio to prevent accidental button presses.
  • To lock the buttons:
  1. Push HOLD in the direction of the arrow to lock the buttons to prevent accidental button presses. When the buttons are locked, a lock icon appears on the display.
  2. Push HOLD in the opposite direction to unlock the buttons. The lock icon disappears from the display.

Question 8: How do I view the guide in HD Radio mode?

1. When tuned to an HD Radio station, press Enter. The guide opens.
  2. Press Enter again to close the guide and return to the normal display.

Question 9: How do I use the menu?

1. Press M. The menu opens.
  2. Press ▲ or ▼ to highlight an option, then press Enter. You can select:
    • LCD Control—Lets you adjust the LCD contrast or set the LCD Off Time.
    • Seek Mode—Lets you select the seek mode.
    • Version—Lets you view theMAIN and MODULE (DSP) software version numbers.
    • Factory Defaults—Lets you reset all settings to the factory defaults.
  3. Press >>| or |<< to adjust the option, then press Enter.
  4. Press M to close the menu.