Question 20: My audio keeps going in and out.

• Make sure the earphones are completely and securely connected to the jack on your Portable HD Radio.
  • Check the volume levels.
  • Check to make sure the HD Radio is not off and the switch is turned to Hold.
  • Make sure the earphones cable is fully extended, since the antenna is in the earphones.

Question 21: I am not receiving any audio.

• Make sure the earphones are completely and securely connected to the jack on your Portable HD Radio.
  • The volume control may be turned down. Increase the volume.
  • Mute may be on, press –VOL/MUTE+ to restore sound.

Question 22: My HD Radio is getting poor reception.

• The earphones that came with your radio work as an antenna and may not be connected completely. Make sure that the earphones are connected correctly, or pull out the earphones, then plug them into the headphone jack again.
  • Make sure earphones cable is fully extended, since it is the antenna.
  • Reception may disappear in certain dead zones. If you lose a station, change your location, as you may have moved into a dead zone. Move toward a window.
  • If you are on the move (e.g., jogging or in a car) you may be moving out of the path of the HD signal. HD signals are directional, so you could lose the signal temporarily when you travel into a valley.
    NOTE: For analog stations, reception may fade out, but for HD stations, the reception may disappear all together.

Question 23: I lost my station.

• Reception may disappear in certain dead zones. If you lose a station, change your location, as you may have moved into a dead zone.
    NOTE: For analog stations, reception may fade out, for HD stations, the reception may disappear all together.
  • If you are on the move (e.g., jogging or in a car) you may be moving out of the path of the HD signal. HD signals are directional, so you could lose the signal temporarily when you travel into a valley.  
  • The earphones that came with your radio work as an antenna and may not be connected completely. Make sure that the earphones are connected correctly, or pull out the earphones, then plug them into the headphone jack again.
  • Make sure earphones cable is fully extended, since it is the antenna.

Question 24: What is HD Radio?

• HD Radio upgrades the way FM radio signals are transmitted to add additional channels and digital information.
  • HD Radio technology allows broadcasters to transmit a high-quality digital signal. For listeners who have an HD Radio receiver, the benefits are:
    • FM radio with near CD-quality sound
    • AM radio that sounds as good as traditional FM
    • No more static, pops, crackles or fades
    • Transmission of additional information, such as song titles and artists

Question 25: My HD Radio won’t turn on.

[ Edited ]
  • Recharge the battery, it may be discharged. For more information on charging the battery, see Question 2.
    OR
    Let your radio warm up to room temperature for 60 minutes, then try again. There may be moisture or condensation in your radio.

Question 26: My battery won’t charge.

• Turn the Radio’s power off and back on again, then start over.
  • If powering off and back on again fails, press the RESET button by inserting the end of a bent paper clip into the reset hole on the side of your radio.
  • Make sure that the USB cable is securely connected to your radio and a USB port on a computer.
  • The USB port on the computer may not be working. Try a different USB port.
  • The computer connected to your radio is not turned on. Turn on the computer.
  • The computer connected to your radio may be in sleep mode. Turn on the computer.

Question 27: Where can I find out what stations are available in my area?

Question 28: Where can I find more information on HD Radio?

Question 29: Can I plug external speakers into my HD Radio Portable Player?

• Amplified external speakers which have a 3.5 mm jack are recommended to provide adjustable volume levels.