Insignia HD Radio Portable Player – Touchscreen (NS-HD02) FAQs

[ Edited ]

Setup Questions

Question 1: How do I set up my HD Radio?

Using the HD Radio Questions

Question 2: How do I charge the battery?

Question 3: How do I use the armband?

Question 4: How do I turn my HD Radio on and off?

Question 5: How do I adjust the volume?

Question 6: How do I set a preset station?

Question 7: How do I use Live Pause?

Question 8: How do I lock/unlock the touchscreen on my HD Radio?

Question 9: How do I use the program guide?

Question 10: How do I use the Favorite Song Memo (Bookmark)?

Question 11: How do I view the Artist Experience image?

Question 12: How do I use the menu to change settings?

Tuning Stations Questions

Question 13: How do I automatically tune to a station?

Question 14: How do I manually tune to a frequency?

Audio Questions

Question 15: My audio keeps going in and out. 

Question 16: I am not receiving any audio.

Reception Questions

Question 17: My HD Radio is getting poor reception. 

Question 18: I lost my station. 

General Questions

Question 19: What is HD Radio?

Question 20: My HD Radio won’t turn on.

Question 21: My battery won’t charge. 

Question 22: Where can I find out what stations are available in my area?

Question 23: Where can I find more information on HD Radio?

Question 24: Does the NS-HD02 have any accessories available?

Question 25: Can I plug external speakers into my HD Radio Portable Player?

Question 26: Where can I find basic specifications or information on my HD Radio?

Question 27: How do I clean my HD Radio?

Question 1: How do I set up my HD Radio?

[ Edited ]
  • Have you used your Quick Setup Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed, please follow the steps below.
  • Basic steps for first time use are:

1. Get to know your HD Radio Portable Player by familiarizing yourself with the button controls and connection options.

2. Charge your battery before your first use.

a. Connect the included USB cable to a USB port on a computer, then connect the other end of the cable to the CHARGE port on

your radio.

b. Turn on your computer. While the battery is charging, the Charging indicator appears. When charging is complete, a battery icon

with an “F” in the middle appears, indicating the battery is fully charged.

NOTE: Do not charge your battery for long periods of time (for example, all day). Excessive charging may shorten the battery’s life.

3. Get to know the radio modes. Your radio has three modes: analog (FM), HD Radio, and RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System).

NOTE: The three modes automatically change when the receiving frequency is changed.

a. Analog (FM) is the standard mode. The FM radio signal is an analog signal and when receiving an FM signal, the ‘FM’ icon

appears on the display.

b. HD Radio mode is the new digital mode. Many HD Radio stations have several sub-channels called “Multicast Channels.” 

When receiving an HD Radio signal, the “HD” icon and the channel number appear on the display.

c. RBDS (Radio Broadcast Data System) mode provides additional functionality to FM radio reception by transmitting additional

information with the FM radio signal. The RBDS receiver displays additional information such as the station’s name. When

receiving an RBDS signal, the “RBDS” icon appears on the display.

4. Turning your radio on or off.

a. Press the power button on the side of the radio to turn the device on. An HD Radio message will appear on the screen.

b. To turn your radio off, press the power button on the side of the radio for about one second. A Power Off message will

appear on the screen.

5. Changing the buttons along the bottom of the screen.

a. You can change the group of buttons appearing at the bottom of the screen. Using your finger tip, slide from left to right or right to

left across the button area.

b. If a button cannot be used in the selected mode, it will be grayed out.

6. Using the armband.

a. Slide your HD Radio Portable Player into the armband pocket.
          b. Wrap the armband around your upper arm with the radio facing out and the opening at the top.

c. Slide the strap through the loop, then pull the strap to tighten it.
          d. Fold the strap back over itself so it sticks to the Velcro strip and holds the armband in place.

e. When the armband is securely in place, your radio controls are easy to access.

Question 2: How do I charge the battery?

[ Edited ]
  • Your radio has a built-in battery that you charge from the USB port on a computer.

1. Connect the included USB cable to a USB port on a computer, then connect the other end of the cable to the CHARGE port on your

radio.

2. Turn on the computer. While the battery is charging, the Charging indicator appears. When charging is complete, a battery icon

with an “F” in the middle appears, indicating the battery is fully charged.

NOTE: Do not charge your battery for long periods of time (for example, all day). Excessive charging may shorten the battery’s life.

Question 3: How do I use the armband?

1. Slide your HD Radio Portable Player into the armband pocket.
  2. Wrap the armband around your upper arm with the radio facing out and the opening at the top.
  3. Slide the strap through the loop, then pull the strap to tighten it.
  4. Fold the strap back over itself so it sticks to the Velcro strip and holds the armband in place.
  5. When the armband is securely in place, your radio controls are easy to access.

Question 4: How do I turn my HD Radio on and off?

• Press the power button on the side of the radio to turn the device on. An HD Radio message will appear on the screen.
  • To turn your radio off, press the power button on the side of the radio for about one second. A Power Off message will appear on the screen.

Question 5: How do I adjust the volume?

• Press the +VOL button to increase the volume or press the –VOL button to decrease the volume. The volume indicator on the display adjusts accordingly by showing the increase or decrease.
  • The volume indicator disappears after one second.

CAUTION: Listening to your radio with the volume set too loud or using earphones for extended periods of time can damage your hearing. You should set the volume to a middle range level (the middle range level is usually less than 2/3 of the maximum).

Question 6: How do I set a preset station?

1. Tune to the station you want to make a preset.
  2. Press the Preset button.
  3. Press the Preset number you want to assign to this station, then press Store.
  4. Select YES to store the preset, or NO to exit the Preset screen.
  5. When you press one of the presets on the screen, it is highlighted. Press the preset again or press the Select button to go to the preset station.
  6. Press the Return button to exit without storing or going to a preset. NOTE: You can store as many as 20 presets.

Question 7: How do I use Live Pause?

• This radio is capable of storing about 15 minutes of audio from the channel that you are listening to for playback. You can use Live Pause in any of the radio modes, FM, HD Radio, or RBDS. When you enter Live Pause, the icon is displayed and the radio is paused (with no audio output).

• To record in Live Pause:
  1. Slide the buttons along the bottom of the screen to access the Live Pause button.
  2. Press the Live Pause button along the bottom of the screen to enter Live Pause mode. The || (pause icon) appears in the upper right corner of the screen, memory begins to fill, and the audio is muted. The progress bar fills from left to right, indicating how much of the Live Pause memory has been filled.

• Listening to Live Pause:
  1. Press Play to listen to the stored audio. The play position indicator moves slowly to the right. Memory is completely full after about 15 minutes. When memory is full, “Buffer Full” is displayed, play is stopped, and audio is muted.
  2. Press the Play/Pause button to pause the radio. The status icon changes to Pause.
  3. Press the << button to rewind through Live Pause memory. The play position indicator moves to the left and shows the current playback position in Live Pause memory.
  4. Press the >> button to fast forward through Live Pause memory. The play position indicator moves to the right and shows the current playback position in Live Pause memory.

• Erasing Live Pause:
  1. Press LP OFF to exit Live Pause mode and return to live FM radio mode. The Live Pause model icon LP disappears and memory is cleared. NOTE: You can store a total of 10 artist and song titles in HD Radio mode.

Question 8: How do I lock/unlock the touchscreen on my HD Radio?

• When the backlight is off, the screen is locked.
  1. Press the Power/Lock button on the side of the HD Radio to show the locking display status.
  2. Press the Key/Lock icon on the screen to unlock the screen and go to operating status. Operating display status is the normal operating status where the touch screen and key buttons work.
  3. Press the Power/Lock button on the side of the HD Radio again to lock your radio.
  4. If there is no key input or screen touch for three seconds (or the time you set in the menu) the backlight automatically turns off. The screen dims in preparation to lock. If there is any key input or the screen is touched while the screen is dim, the backlight turns on.

Question 9: How do I use the program guide?

• Normal displays the HD channel in play. Guide displays a menu of multi-cast channels and provides another way to select one.
  1. In normal display mode, press Guide to switch to program guide display mode in HD Radio mode.
  2. In program guide display mode, press Normal to switch to normal display mode in HD Radio mode.