Re: NS-HD01 No sound

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the troubleshooting tips.

The unit is out of warranty but I would at least like to come to a Best Buy and have someone look at it. I would pay a reasonable fee to have it repaired, if that is possible.

Thanks again.

Visitor

Been there done that.  I have gone through 3 HD01s with the extended warranty.  There is nothing inside to fix.  I am a pretty good electronics tech and took my first HD01 apart and checked all the components and connections and found nothing.  The problem looks to be in the microprocessor.  Best Buy can only take it back and if still in warranty give you store credit.  They are selling the HD01A now at about the same price which I have found to outlive the HD01.  (So far at least) 

Thanks for the post. Maybe I'll check out the HD01A.

Just wondering; Best Buy also has the HD02. I wonder if I'd have any better luck with that?

Thanks.

Visitor

All I can say is pay the $8 for the extended warranty.  I just consider it "rent". :-)

I'm about to buy my third NS-HD01 in two years.  Each seems to last about a year before "dying" in the same way - no sound.  Display is fine, headset/antenna works in other device, Hold is not on, Mute is not on, have reset twice.  I listen to it for about 8 - 10 hours straight each day, let the battery run all the way down before recharging.  I love this little radio and it has few or no competitors, but I'm tired of them lasting only a year or so.  This time I will keep my receipt and may get the "insurance" too.

If anyone does figure out what the echnical problem is, please fix!

Visitor

Found a guy that fixes the problem "King of Tweaks". Cause of problme is a lack of a reistor to the sound chip that causes it to go into infinite reset thus no sound even though every thing else works.  He put in a resitor to the reset pin to stop the infinite reset. Works like a charm.

Don't know why Insignia does not fix this issue. It has been going on for too long.

Visitor

seach for King of Tweaks. He will fix your silent radio. He has fixed mine and it works great. I am buying used radios and sending them to him to fix.

Visitor

Hi cwolff,

Thanks for the info.

My HD01 is well out of warranty so I just went ahead and opened the case to see what was inside. There are a bunch of test points scattered around, but the real gold is in the Cirrus 43L21 chip (marked U10 on the board, just below the headphone jack). It looks like it should be under a sheild. Googling got me a data sheet on the chip, and I was able to probe I/Os on it. Data and Clock going in, yes. Analog stereo coming out, no. I probed the reset switch and it is high until pressed. The reset pin on the Cirrus is always low. I just wasn't sure what my next step should be.

So bit more Googling and I found your post. Googling even more and I found the King of Tweaks' site. I read the King's article about what the repair involves, good stuff. With his pictures as a reference, I was able to pull off my own repair. It's devilishly small though, so if you have not worked with electronics much, it'd be worth the money to send it to a pro.

Visitor

OK.  My 6 month old NS-HD01A just went silent.  Same symptoms and the other HD01s.  I have an originalHD01 that still works so I can get by.  Do you want me to send it to you to diagnose or just take it back to Best Buy and let them eat it?

Visitor

BTW, That was to Tom at Insignia.  The purchace date was 7/21/2012 so it didn't quite make it a year.