Visitor

Insignia Connect - App crashing

Has anyone had a problem with the Insignia Connect app crashing on an iPhone with iOS11.2.2, when one tries to access the schedule function?  As long as one does not access the schedule function, the app is stable and the plugs can be manually controlled.   But if you try to create more than one schedule then the app crashes after about 5 seconds.  I have tried this on 2 other iOS devices, with the same results. 

Insignia Support

Re: Insignia Connect - App crashing

Hello MaxDS,

Thanks for letting us know you’re having some issues with the Insignia Connect Application, and controlling your smart plug. I understand that can surely be frustrating that the app keeps crashing on you when you’re attempting to add in more than one schedule.

Can you please try the following troubleshooting steps?

-Uninstalling & reinstalling the application.

-Ensuring that you’re the only one logged into the account attempting to control the plug.

-Your router is configured at 2.4 GHz band or has the capability to dual bandwidth.

Let me know if those don’t work for you I’d be to see if there’s additional assistance we can provide at this time.

Regards,

Mariah

Insignia Support

Visitor

Hello Mariah,    Thank you for your reply.   

I did indeed try to de-install and re-install the application on:

• The same device
  • On another device

With the same results.  The positive experience here is that re-installing the app or installing it on another device is very simple, because as soon as you install it and sign in,  all your devices and schedules show up.  You do not have to reset or reapply them.  However, on any device, when I go to the schedule tab, after about 5 secs, the app crashes and it dissappears from the screen.   Here is the interesting part.   It does not flush out completely, because if you double press the home button, the app lurks minimized in the background, but if you tap on it, it launches as though it was newly launched, with no context of what you were attempting to do before.   I can provide a video, if required.

I confirm that I am the only one who has an account and the only one who is logged in.

My router is dual band and the devices are connected to the 2.4Ghz SSID.  As I said, all other functions work perfectly.  Even the two schedules that I have managed to input, turn on and off the devices like clockwork - with the quirk noted below:

The other quirk/anomaly/issue with the schedule function:

• My time zone and iOS device are set to EST, but the schedule will not turn on or off the SmartPlugs unless I set the timezone in "My Home" to Pacific and subtract 3 hours from the on/off time of the event.   
  • For example if I want to turn on a device at 17:00 hrs (5PM) then with the MyHome timezone set to PST, I have to set the start time to 14:00 hrs (2PM).  Then at 17:00 hrs EST (local time), the device will turn on.   
  • It does not work if I set the MyHome timezone to EST and enter either the correct time or use a differential of 6 hours.
  • It took patience and some experimentation to figure this out. 

I would like to stick with the Insignia product as it is at good price point and works really well with Google Home.  The integration was easy-peasy automatic!  The initial device setup is simple and straightforward too, once you understand the sequence of the setup.   It took a bit of patience to figure that out as well.

Please fix this schedule thing as it is detracting and frustrating.   Thank you.

Insignia Support

Hello MaxDS,

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m sorry that the troubleshooting steps I provided didn’t fix the app issues to control your SMART plug. I appreciate that you took the time to share the specific examples you’re encountering with the time-zone, and multiple schedule issues.

I’d be happy to ensure that your feedback is passed along to the correct teams for further internal review. I’ve also sent you a private message to discuss how we’d be able to assist you further in the moment. You can check your private messages by ensuring you’re logged into your forum account, and selecting the envelope in the top right-hand corner under the search bar.

Respectfully,

Mariah

Insignia Support

Visitor

I am having the exact same issues.  Have tried everything mentioned here and still cannot access my Schedues.  The App either crashes over and over, or simply will not display any Schedules to edit.  I called the support line tonight at 877-467-4289 and received terrible support.  Never got a case number, no way to report a bug to the software team and no way to pass along the issue!!!  The "solution" that they provided after 20 minutes on the phone was to drive back to Best Buy with the device and my phone to show the Geek Squad the problem!?!?  What a ridiculous "solution".  How do users go about getting the App fixed for an obvious issue like this???  I have (5) of these devices running (took a LOT of effort to get them connected in the first place) and now I have no control over them.  HELP!!!

Highlighted

Having the same app crashing issues as stated here after installing IOS 11.2.5 and walked through the same troubleshooting steps as listed from Tech support in this thread, but the app still continues to crash in the scheduling area. 

I've watched this site since late January when the problem first started and saw that it had been reported.  Since the time of the first reported issue here, it's been nearly a month.  Is there any information as to when this will be resolved?