Visitor
Accepted Solution

Can't adjust sound options from audio out jack

I just got a NS-43D420NA18. Great picture, but sound from TV speakers is not very good! With my old Insignia TV, I've been using the 3.5mm Audio Out jack on  to feed an external amp.  But when I plugged into the audio out on this new TV, the audio options are greyed out - can't adjust the treble, bass, balance. I use my Blu ray player to listen to CDs and connect my PC to TV for streaming as well.  For me, not being able to use my external speakers is enough reason to return the TV.

Insignia Support

Re: Can't adjust sound options from audio out jack

Hello dbonz69,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

When you say the audio options are grayed out, are you referring to options available through the amp or through the TV? What is the brand and model number of your amp?

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Visitor

Thanks John for responding. "Greyed out" refers to the functions within the audio menu of the NS-43D420NA18 that are Not Highlighted and as such, cannot be adjusted when the [mini-plug] Audio Out is used.  The audio levels can be adjusted when using the TV's internal speakers, but when the audio out is used the EQ returns to flat. The amp is from a 'Desktop Speakers' system as used with PC's - 5 Watt/chnl. which I'm using to power large speakers. The 'issue' is consistent only headphones loading the output jack.  As I inferred, I use the TV's preamp to adjust audio levels when listening to CD's and when my PC is [HDMI] connected to the TV. Either way, the external amp is plugged into the TV's audio out jack.

Insignia Support

Hello dbonz69,

Thank you for the additional details.

Your TV is not designed to work with a PC speaker system as you've described.

For best results, I'd recommend connecting the speakers to your computer and controlling the audio by that means. Alternatively, you may wish to connect a home theater audio system to your TV via HDMI for an improved audio experience.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Highlighted
Visitor

Howdy John, 

When you respond to my posts, do you refer to what has been previously written?  By you're answer today, it surely seems that you don't because you still haven't stated why the Audio settings which "can be adjusted when using the TV's internal speakers [but], cannot be adjusted when the [mini-plug] Audio Out is used."
   In your message today you tell me the "TV is not designed to work with a PC speaker system." Do you know what the devices actually are (electronically speaking).  Then you "recommend connecting the speakers to my computer and controlling the audio..." How would that control the audio in the TV?
   Your last suggestion is "to connect a home theater system to the TV via HDMI..." Think about this: my 1st post stated, "With my old Insignia TV, I've been using the 3.5mm Audio Out jack to feed an external amp." My 2nd post clarified what the external amp is.  Do you really think that I'd be using the amp from Desktop Speaker System if I had a Home Theatre system?
   The issue at hand is about the TV: why aren't the TV Audio Sound Settings adjustable using the Audio Out jack? I have been reading other Insignia TV owners' posts (and tech's replies) about having the same issue and it seems most likely the answer would be - on the newer Insignia TV's, the adjustable audio settings and related circuitry have been designed so those user controls don't work when anything is plugged into the headphone jack.  

dbonz