Regular Contributor
jeff6794

How to connect LG Blu-ray player to Internet?

Greetings.

I have an Insignia 19e720a12 19" TV and an LG BP-220 Blu-ray player. I would like to connect the player to the Internet so as to use the streaming video features such as Netflix. I have cable Internet (broadband) from Time Warner (not dial-up or DSL service), so speed shouldn't be a problem; however, I understand (from a response to a post on this subject to another message board) I would need a router to connect my computer and Blu-ray player to my Internet connection at the same time. Again, I am not using dial-up or DSL (as the person who answered my post at the other message board seems to think; I don't think he read my post very carefully), but broadband cable Internet service. Would it be possible to split my phone line three ways to connect to the Blu-ray player as well as to my computer and telephone?

Thanks much.

Regards,

Jeff (jeff6794)

Kind regards,

Jeff (jeff6794)

Satisfied Insignia HDTV owner since August 2011
Insignia Support
John-INSG

Re: How to connect LG Blu-ray player to Internet?

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to Community@Insignia™!

As far as connecting your Blu-ray player to your Insignia TV, this may be accomplished via either composite or HDMI as those are the connection types shared by the two devices. As far as connecting your player to your broadband service, you were informed correctly on the other forum that a router is needed, unless your cable modem also serves this function. If so, you should be able to connect your cable modem by ethernet cable to your player. Otherwise you will need a router to establish the home network that your player will use to connect to the internet for streaming service access. You can find complete details for completing a network connection in the LG BP220 Owner's Manual. I hope this helps.

Regards,
John
Insignia™ Support

Regular Contributor
jeff6794

Thanks much for the info, John. Just got off the phone with Time Warner Cable HSI (high-speed Internet) support. Based on what I was told by the service representative I spoke with, I guess I have to get a router to use my Blu-ray player (LG BP-220) with the Insignia flat screen. However, I just looked at Radio Shack's line of routers on their website and am somewhat bewildered, with all the different types of routers available. Does it matter what type of wired router I get? Since I do not have a laptop, I'm not interested in WiFi or other types of wireless connectivity; just a router that will allow me to connect the Blu-ray player to my TV, while leaving the computer connected. Will I need a certain type of wired router, or will any router do the job? Thanks again. Regards, Jeff (jeff6794)
Kind regards,

Jeff (jeff6794)

Satisfied Insignia HDTV owner since August 2011
Insignia Support
John-INSG

Hello again Jeff,

To be honest, any router should work. I've used a couple of different brands (i.e., LinkSys, Apple) with complete success for all of my home theater equipment and computers. Blissfully, a home network is pretty easy to set up these days too. The last time I installed equipment, I was up and running in minutes. As long as the router you select has an ethernet connection (and I think all of them do, even the wireless ones), you'll be set. I hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Insignia™ Support

amenda8998

i know, it's difficult to connect them. but why don't you try another??I have used it for almost 2 years.when i bought it, to my surprise, it can change region code, thus i'm never worried about relaxing myself when on business.  It's an easy to use and professional blu ray player software for windows, including Windows 8. of course, it fully integrates with Windows Media Center too.  maybe you should try. believe me, it is satisfying。

Keep myself happy everyday!! when unhappy, watch favorite movies with 3d player or blu ray player windows, it brings me theatre experience!