Heazmouse

Re: NS LCD 32 Unit will not power up

My tv that is just over 2 years old is having the same issue.  I read everyones messages and the responses that Insigna had to the problem.  I called the customer support line like suggested and all they could do was tell me to unplug it and plug it back in and since all that did was absolutely nothing, the tech told me my that my only options were to take it back to the store for them to look at it our call a tech.  It is a shame that a tv that isn't even 3 years old is having problems and the cost to have a tech even come out to look at is almost 1/3 of what I paid for the tv.  That does not include the actual cost to fix the problem.  So basically it will not be cost effective to fix this TV.  This could explain why this model of TV is discountinued.  Thanks for nothing Insigna, and I will research a little better for my next TV and when I purchase this new TV I am WILL NOT purchase your product and will not give BEST BUY my business. 
Visitor
oman19

Again same problem. Called Tech Support and they wanted me to spend 150 Dollars for the GeekSquad to come look at it. Took it to a TV repair man and he said the Power Supply was bad. He ordered the part twice but each time the part with the same part number came back and was a different part. This is a chronic problem and I've told Insignia several times just that. If you google Insignia NS-LCD32 a TON of forums come up describing problems with the power supply. This TV needs to be recalled but Insignia will not do so. Until something is done I'm telling everyone I know to stay away from this brand. I'm 29 years old and have a ton of buddies buying their first houses and furnishing them and buying new TV's and I'm going out of my way to tell them steer clear of insignia. That would change if they would choose to stand behind their product.

Visitor
bci6464

Ditto. I am having the same issues. I am a union electrician with small electronics experience, so i decided to tackle this issue on my own. First i did some research about the product. Then I took my skills to the NS-LCD32-POS. I think i got lucky becuz the first thing I thought to check showed signs of being the problem. You guys have to think, the tvs nowadays are not build to last like an old tube. They are much more temp. and fragile. Small power surges and even "dirty power'' can cause problems. All mine needed was a 3 dollar fuse. not a 50 dollar power board. service guys make about 200% on parts. so a 50 dollar board becomes 150 bucks at 100 dollars of profit. investigate your own problems then call the service guys bluff. you dont have to be an expert, just knowligible, The whole repair took 20 mins. not including getting the new fuse. good luck guys. PS. a good surge suppressor will save these issues. i have one on my 50'' plasma... and now on my NS-LCD32-POS. and not a cheapy from walmart. they are different qualities and worth the 50 bucks.
Visitor
bedwards

Your $3 solution would really help if you could go into more detail how to repair. How can I tell if the fuse I'm looking to replace is blow?  I'm pretty handy and not afraid to take this thing apart. I had heard that a possible surge or "dirty" power (what is that anyway?) could harm my flat screen so I have surge protectors on all my hi-defs. Don't think I got the expensive ones though.

Visitor
bci6464

Its as big around as a pencil and about an inch long. they all look a little different but physical size shuold be the same. you will need a meter to test continuity. one lead on either end of the fuse will tell you for sure if it is good or bad. but it has a glass center for visual inspection. i could tell right away mine was bad, without testing it. but i tested it anyway to be sure.  ''dirty power '' is different than a power surge. a surge is a sudden burst of high voltage. not a lightning strike. no protection can be offered by man from one of those, only god. dirty power is irregular voltages in the utilities system. something they cannot avoid. your house is normally 120/240. your 120v appliances typically see 125volts. some see 115volts. it goes up and down consistently. dirty power is the term when that wave reaches unsafe highs and some times lows. your surge protector absorbs this like a sponge. the better the sponge the more it can take. in addition, these sponges have a life. they DO NOT last forever. a good one has an indicating light that tells when its 'full'. it was a simple repair to the tv, i hope something else doesnt go out. good luck
Visitor
bedwards

Wow, thank you for the help and the brief electronics lesson; you should charge Insignia for your guidance. I've always said that these type of appliances should not be so difficult to repair - even for novices like me. I will most definitely keep you appraised. Best, Brian
maxrep12

Perhaps your reply should have included sentiments that Insignia has not addressed this very common product failure. The 1 800 number, that routes the caller to an overseas call processing center, does nothing for a consumer who has owned their television for over one year. My first post stated my time of ownership, yet you knowingly prescribed a dead end course of action. Was this done to placate me, or do give the appearance that the Insignia forum staff produce meaningful results?
maxrep12

Hi bci,

thanks for your insight.

I have removed 20 or so screws and have lifted off the rear cover. Viewing from behind, I can see a fuse on the right hand side mounted to a board. This fuse is still in good shape. Is there a fuse elsewhere I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Visitor
bci6464

maybe, im not an insignia tech or anything. That fixed mine. for now. I actually ordered another power board off ebay for 50 bucks before i opened it and found the bad fuse. i guess they are hard to come by, i looked around and that was the only one i found. and it wasnt even new. Most people are out of stock or whatever. becareful here, if the back is off you can get hurt. 120 feeds the board even if its not turning on. those cappaciters and transformers are still energized. do all diagnosing carfully. if your not experienced, the fuse is the only thing i would recommend you mess with. good luck.
Insignia Support
John-INSG

IS LCDTV 32 Unit part