Visitor

New 43" TVs with screen going black but audio remains

Last week, I purchased a new 43" Insignia TV, model NS-43D420NA18. Two days later, after watching for 1-2 hours one morning, the screen went black, but the audio remained. I changed the stations, and they were all black, though audio remained. I turned the TV off and turned it back on. The picture was back.

About 15 minutes later, again the channel went black with preserved audio. The TV was not in sleep mode. I thought the problem might have been due to the Energy Saver picture mode (some inappropriate screen saver function?). I pressed the Menu button of the Insignia remote, and the menu appeared on the screen, and I changed the Picture mode to whatever was next on the picture mode list, and the picture returned.

I did a search on these forums; a couple older posts suggested the TVs in those cases probably needed repair, so I returned mine to the store and exchanged it for an identical new model.

A few days with the new set, and again today, after the TV was on for 1-2 hours, the screen went black and audio remained. Again this persisted with changing the channels. This time, the TV was in Custom picture mode. I pressed the Menu button on the Insignia remote, and menu options appeared. By changing the picture mode to whatever was next on the list, I was able to get the picture back. I cycled through the picture modes. I turned it off and on, and all seemed fine.

I was concerned there is a bug in the firmware, so I called Insignia technical support. The representative suggested I try a new electrical outlet. That's not an option given my home arrangements. My power supply seems fine and uniform. He then suggested I unplug the TV, leave it for 5 minutes, then hold in the power button for 30 seconds while it was unplugged, and then plug it back in. I did that. The rep hadn't heard of this problem and told me to call back if it redevelops.

I have not had more problems over the rest of today, but I'm still within the 15 day exchange window. I'm at a low level of patience with additional problems. Has anyone heard of this problem or heard of an easy explanation/correction?

If there's any potential relevance, I'll mention that I have Cox cable; I have to use their remote to change the channels on the cable box. I've used it with my old Insignia TV without problems.

Insignia Support

Re: New 43" TVs with screen going black but audio remains

Hello NS43Man,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

I'm happy to hear our phone agent was able to help troubleshoot your TV. I'd like to see if there is more information we can offer, so to that end, I have ot.some questions for you:

• How is your cable box connected to your TV and to what port? If connected by HDMI, does the problem persist if you connect the box to a different port?
  • Do you have other devices connected to the TV (e.g., a game console, disk player, streaming service device, etc.)? If so, do you experience the problem when viewing programming by that means?
  • Have you contacted Cox to discuss any potential signal issues or programming changes that may be impacting your viewing?

Any additional information you can provide will help us address your concerns.

Regards,
John
Insignia Support

Visitor

Hi John,

- My cable is connected via HDMI1.  I haven't tried it on another port yet.

- I don't currently have other devices connected to the TV.  I have a DVD player that I'll eventually connect using the Yellow,White,Red connectors.

- I haven't contacted Cox.  I haven't had this issue with my other Insignia TV.

So far, the problem hasn't recurred.  I may get some time this weekend to leave the TV on for a while and experiment.  I love the TV otherwise.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Visitor

The problem has recurred this morning after watching TV for about 25 minutes.  I turned it off and on, and it was back to normal.  I then switched the cable input to HDMI2.  It's looking like this TV is going to be returned/exchanged unless something miraculous occurs.

Visitor

After switching to HDMI2, the TV began dropping video and audio simultaneously every few minutes.  Black screen, no sound.  Then it would spontanesouly come back to normal after approx. 30 seconds.  I also noticed that the date was wrong in the system settings.  I set it yesterday (I'm meticulous about date/time settings), and today it read 2/14/2018.  I'd noticed previously it had said the year 2116 and 1980 and hadn't known what to make of it.  

I brought my other Insignia TV to the outlet where this TV is, plugged it in, and immediately had zero problems, and this was sustained.  The problematic TV is being returned.

Visitor

After hearing the problem, a floor representative at the store recommended I change the HDMI cable if the problem recurred.  At home, the problem did recur as I was adjusting the original cable.  I swapped it for another HDMI cable and so far, all is good.  I'll keep monitoring, but I'm happy I stuck with Insignia!

Insignia Support

Morning NS43Man,

Thanks for sharing an update with us! I’m happy that a recommendation to change to the HDMI cord was made. I hope that this continues to resolve the issue for you. Please let us know if any other changes, or issues occur. We’d be happy to see how we might be able to assist you further. We’re very happy that you choose Insignia too. Thank you so much for your loyalty!

Sincerely,

Mariah

Insignia ™ Support

My stepmom has a insignia tv NS-43D420NA16, She says its not hooked up to anything, and when she turns it on there's a grey and black fuzzy picture and it shuts off and on
Insignia Support

Morning Crumpt85,

Thanks for swinging by to share a concern regarding your stepmom’s TV. Since NS-43D420NA16 isn’t SMART enabled it would need to be connected to an antenna, cable box, DVD Player, or streaming device to display a picture. The TV is reacting correctly due to there’s not an input for the TV to detect. The powering off is normal as that’s a part of the energy efficiency of the unit. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Kindly,

Mariah

Insignia™ Support