Visitor

Permanently Disable WiFi Access?

I recently purchased a 50" Insignia Roku TV. Is there any way to permanently disable wifi access through the TV? I do not want the TV to have the option to connect to Roku/Internet, etc. Essentially I'd like to force the television into a dumb state.

Insignia Support

Re: Permanently Disable WiFi Access?

Hello mschaef,

Welcome to Community@Insignia!

I'll be happy to look into this for you if you will please reply with your TV model number.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

Visitor

Hi John, My model number is NS-50DR620NA18

Thanks

Highlighted
Insignia Support

Hello mschaef,

Thank you for sharing the needed information.

As this TV was designed specifically for internet connectivity and use of the Roku service, the means does not exist to disable the wireless internet feature.

Regards,

John

Insignia Support

John, 

How would you recommend proceeding to prevent the television from rebooting 6 times a day? I use my PlayStation 4 for all Internet enabled apps now, so I no longer need connectivity from my tv to the Internet. However, because the tv is dependent on apparently a beyond perfect connection (I have a great router and very fast fiber internet), my tv restarts over and over again as described by many owners of this tv. All I want is tv to stop restarting. Can you fix this or not?

Visitor

John will likely not recommend this, but if you think that disabling the wifi will prevent it from restarting, it's actually quite easy. I use my xbox one for all streaming and haven't had a problem in the 2 months I've had the tv. To disable the wifi module, you will need to take the back of the tv off and unplug the module yourself. Took me about 15-20 min to complete. It's in the upper left corner of the tv and I believe it says "wifi module". I simply unplugged it, put a piece of electrical tape on the end of the wire and left it in there. Obviously, this will likely void any warrenty you have, but as far as I could tell, there's no way to tell that you opened it up, so in the event that you need to use the warrenty, you'll need to reverse this process. 

Just be super careful and be sure to keep track of all the screws (there's a lot of them and some are very tiny and flush to the unit). 

That’s great advice thank you. I read something about opening the tv, but you provided more detail which I appreciate. I will give this method a try since my tv is out of warranty anyways. I bought it in October of 2016.