marcia

Remote sensor on TV set not working

My husband recently removed the base from our NS-LCD47HD-09 TV to mount it on the wall and now it doesn't receive the remote signal from either the remote that came with it or the cable box remote.  The television cannot be turned on or off with either remote nor can the volume be adjusted.  Both remotes worked the TV power and volume prior to removing the base.  Could removing the base have caused this problem, and if so, how can it be solved?
Regular Contributor
SteveEast

Re: Remote sensor on TV set not working

Removing the base could not have directly caused this problem - at least not in any universe that I inhabit :smileyhappy:. However, if the TV got bumped or knocked during wall-mounting then the sensor could have been damaged or a connection dislodged. The only other possibility I can think of is that the TV is now at a different angle because of the wall-mount and might not be seeing the remote so well. Assuming you haven't already tried, you could point the remote at the sensor from assorted different angles just to be sure it has really died.

Steve.

powerranger262

Bump.  Same problem, just started happening out of nowhere.  My T.V. was never moved, just stopped working.  This sucks.

Insignia Support
John-INSG

Hello powerranger262,

Welcome to Community@Insignia™!

If you haven't already, try replacing the batteries in the remote control and cleaning the sensor on the TV.  If this doesn't resolve the issue, the remote control may have failed or your TV requires service.  Repair service can be obtained for TVs larger than 30" by calling 1-888-237-8289 in the U.S. or 1-866-237-8289 in Canada.  Otherwise, service is available on a carry-in basis through the retailer of purchase.

Regards,
John
Insignia™ Support
powerranger262

Tried all of that already.  Just called Geek Squad and they are fixing it Tuesday, maybe.  Thanks for the quick reply.
SpinnCharm

I don't understand why insignia doesn't answer this with something helpful

We have so many different wireless remotes in most homes that it difficult to sell you what can happen.  Of course make sure the batteries are fresh and nothing is blocking the signal.  More than likely it's something you have pressed on the remote itself that took it out of the channel changing mode.  You have TV and DVD , auxiliary and standard modes make sure to change the channels  it is on TV mode.  If this doesn't work on the side of the television there's a menu button.  In menu scroll over to settings Somewhere in the settings window there is a way to restore factory defaults...  This will reset factory defaults you might have to search for channels but I don't think so... Just make sure the remote is pointed towards the screen and not too far away.

I hope this has been helpful

SpinnCharm

coach482

Try this simple solution if your remote stops working

I had the same problem . I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.
powerranger262

SOrry for not posting back on this.  So, the geeks came and took the whole thing apart.  I ended up getting a new board and new button setup on the side, because while using those while the remote didn't work, they also broke.  He said it might be the board, and if it wasn't that, I would be getting a new T.V.  When the installer put the T.V. back together and went to try it, it didn't work.  Then he tried a remote that he had brought along, and that worked.  So basically I got almost everything inside the T.V. and a new remote to fix the problem.  No problems since.

AndrewPerkins

Thanks Coach482, It works!!!  Thank you man -- your solution makes perfect sense.   Dust and ions gets in there and messes things up.  Keep up the good work coach!

ggson

i am having trouble finding the remote sensor you suggested on the back of  my phillips tv.  Exactly where should it be located?