09-16-2009 08:07 PM
09-16-2009 08:37 PM
Removing the base could not have directly caused this problem - at least not in any universe that I inhabit . However, if the TV got bumped or knocked during wall-mounting then the sensor could have been damaged or a connection dislodged. The only other possibility I can think of is that the TV is now at a different angle because of the wall-mount and might not be seeing the remote so well. Assuming you haven't already tried, you could point the remote at the sensor from assorted different angles just to be sure it has really died.
10-23-2009 01:12 PM
05-23-2010 12:14 PM
I don't understand why insignia doesn't answer this with something helpful
We have so many different wireless remotes in most homes that it difficult to sell you what can happen. Of course make sure the batteries are fresh and nothing is blocking the signal. More than likely it's something you have pressed on the remote itself that took it out of the channel changing mode. You have TV and DVD , auxiliary and standard modes make sure to change the channels it is on TV mode. If this doesn't work on the side of the television there's a menu button. In menu scroll over to settings Somewhere in the settings window there is a way to restore factory defaults... This will reset factory defaults you might have to search for channels but I don't think so... Just make sure the remote is pointed towards the screen and not too far away.
I hope this has been helpful
10-04-2010 08:10 AM
10-04-2010 09:44 PM
SOrry for not posting back on this. So, the geeks came and took the whole thing apart. I ended up getting a new board and new button setup on the side, because while using those while the remote didn't work, they also broke. He said it might be the board, and if it wasn't that, I would be getting a new T.V. When the installer put the T.V. back together and went to try it, it didn't work. Then he tried a remote that he had brought along, and that worked. So basically I got almost everything inside the T.V. and a new remote to fix the problem. No problems since.