Visitor

TV Power Cycling every 5 minutes

Hello everyone! 

We're having a problem with our TV that has gotten progressively worse over the past few months - our TV power cycles every 5 minutes. Its rather annoying to watch a show like that. Smiley Frustrated

The problem started some time ago. At first it would power cycle once or twice then stabilise After a few weeks of that behaviour it started cycling a few times before becoming stable. 

Now it's gotten to the point where it never stabilises. The power cycling happens regardless of how long the TV is left on for. Smiley Sad

The TV model number is NS-39D240A13 Rev B. (I think.) 

We have a Chromecast attached to one HDMI port and a cable box (Rogers) attached to a second HDMI port. 

The problem happens regardless of which input we're watching. 

The power cable isn't loose either. Smiley LOL

I hope soemone has a suggestion for how I might be able to fix this! Smiley Happy

-Clem 

Insignia Support

Re: TV Power Cycling every 5 minutes

Hello xlegna,

Welcome to our community! I’m sorry to hear that your TV has been turning it’s self on and off. I appreciate the time you’ve taken to post to our community about it. I’d be happy to see how I can assist you further.

Can you please share if you’ve attempted to manually Power Cycle the TV? You’re able to do this by unplugging the TV, and it’s components for a few minutes. It’s the equivalent of clearing the cache & cookies on a PC.  Have you checked the power source, and plugged the TV into an alternative outlet? Shorts, or power surges can spark these kinds of issues and the TV may be powering down to protect itself. Are there any additional lights that appear on the TV? If a larger issue may be present the power light may blink, or even change colors.

I look forward to your reply to learn more about the issue!

Respectfully,

Mariah

Insignia™ Support

Visitor

We've unplugged the TV and moved it across the room. Took us several minutes to do it, but unfortunately there was no change in the situation. 😔

The power light for the TV behaves as it normally should; no flashing or anything. I'm not at the tv right now so I can't confirm exactly what it does unfortunately. I'll update when i get home. 😁

I read something about holding the power button down for an extended amount of time (maybe for a different tv, but I thought it was worth a shot) but no change. 😆

Hope you can help me fix this! 😀

-Clem
Insignia Support

Hi xlegna,

Thanks for following up to share that neither of those troubleshooting steps resolved the issues present. While reviewing the manual it asks you to double check the sleep timer to ensure that nothing is selected there. This can be checked by selecting the Sleep button on the bottom left side of your remote. However, it doesn’t seem like the manual includes any options reset the TV back to all original defaults.

Kindly,

Mariah

Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Definitely no sleep timer set. 

Any other ideas? 

My TV is pretty old and out of warranty, I know. But if it were a hardware problem can you make a guess as to what might be wrong with it? I might try fix it myself if. XD

-Clem

Highlighted
Insignia Support

Hello Clem,

Given what you've described and that the recommended troubleshooting hasn't netted a successful result, it's likely your TV will require repairs. With apologies, we would not be able to offer speculation as to the cause, but recommend the TV be diagnosed by a qualified technician.

You can pursue service by carrying your TV in to your local Geek Squad. You may schedule an appointment by visiting We're Here to Help and selecting "Make a Reservation" under "Getting Help is Easy." 

I hope this helps. Thank you for writing to us.

John
Insignia Support